DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

direwolf jon

Cam

There are 2 reasons I am not a great fan of aSoIaF.

1. It moves too slowly for my liking. WoT has fallen into this trap of late.

2. I don't like the way the "chapters" are created. Yes, I have been told various ways to read it, but chapter after chapter on different characters doesn't really appeal to me.

I agree Dany... I like having the option to jump forward to the next one if I'm really desperate to see what happens to a particular character. It also makes it easier to look for quotes I find.

But mostly, I like it because of its realism... its true adult fantasy... and way better than LotR I have to say.

Cadssssssssss *huggles* 8) nice to see ye greeny one

i dunno...its pretty hard to top SOIF...it just seems so much more REAL than WoT (i kno its fantasy) but still...not SO far out there...personifies waht the world was like back in medevilness a bit better than WoT

From what I was able to read of aSoIaF before I gave up, I agree it has more of a medieval feel about it than WoT. But I feel that is down to the fact that RJ draws on many different cultures for his people.

http://www.steelypips.org/wotfaq/3_sources/3.14_countries.html

That site explains it quite well, and I have to agree with most of the comparisons. By drawing on all the different civilizations, RJ adds depth to his world, and in a way, makes it similar to the multicultural world that we live in today.

Still prefer ASoIaF. Its not just the realistic portrayal of the times, its the real feeling of truth to events that occur. GRRM doesn't extend people's lives past their usefulness. He kills off main characters when you least expect it... which, let's face it, is what would happen in real battles. There are no amazing escapes to keep people in the story.

Don't get me wrong, I love RJ... but GRRM just has the edge. And whilst Tolkien will always have a place in the annals of fantasy, he's far surpassed by modern writers.

:lol: lol, Yea, The Silmarillion does that too... :wink: Hell, ALL the Noldor die but one, and they were the greateast Heros of the elves... and they didn't even accomplish any thong woth their Deaths... And LotR wasn't meant to be a midieval comparison.... :P It would have been a forgotten age way before the Middle Ages, being that the Middle ages would come after the fall of men into Pettyness, and squabling! :wink: Basically, after the Numenor are gone... :roll:

*chuckles and points* Hey look! A Tangent! :lol:

And a Final Point, Tolkien wasn't trying to relate to people, he was putting all of their legends into one... Hell, even the legend of Atlantis made it in... :P

And Bah! i have yet to see anyone stand up to tolkien in my eyes... :roll: 8) :lol:

yah LotR is still the best, and still the series I've read the most, though WoT is getting close... the more I read SoIaF the better I like it though, I've only read it twice so far, but I found so many more clues and subtle stuff the second time I read it thats what keeps me hooked in a fantasy series the unexplained stuff, thats the reason I love WoT so much, he gives so many hints and has so many hidden plots, and he doesnt try to baby us through by telling us everything

Archived