DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What is the Morridin / Rand body switch theory?

DocBean

What is the Morridin / Rand body switching theory?

some guy on these discussions has brought it up like 5 times in the last week.

I've never read anything about Rand and Morridin switching bodies, and as much as I've read the books I can't think of any of the foretellings or prephecies pointing to any such thing.

Someone will have to explain it to me.

I'm not even so sure that when Rand crossed Balefire paths with the Wonderer (probably Morridin) it started causing his channeling sickness. Is that somehow related?

The body swap theory is based on a couple of things spanning across several books:

1. Shadar Logoth and Rand's interaction with the "unknown traveler" later id'd as Moridin. The 'connection' began when their streams of balefire touched while trying to destroy the tendril of Mashadar that was closing on their position.

2. After that point, we see an aside by LTT in Rand's head referring to the "other one", as well as Rand noting a thought regarding the Creator that he's sure he nor LTT would ever put forth.

3. Rand's increasing saidin sickness and recent awareness of that "unknown traveler" when seizing saidin, so much so that he feels close enough now that he could touch him if he tried.

4. Moridin has become increasingly agitated at the idea of Rand's death, and has repeatedly ordered that he's not to be killed. The possibility exists that he's afraid of the consequences now that they're connected in some way.

The theory embraces these points and supposes the possibility that at some point in the future they will swap bodies. Furthermore, the theory suggests that this will be the way that Rand "dies" - that his body will be slain yet his soul will live on in Moridin's body - potentially fulfilling the "to live you must die" statement made by the Finns.

That would be amazing. I mean, she is always there. She must have a greater purpose right? ;)

Oh, and this is one of many theories I have found and read, and they're pretty interesting. Doesn't mean they're right, of course, but they give some insight to the rest of the books and they make you think. ;)

http://www.wotmania.com/theorypostdbtheory.asp?ID=789&Category=Rand

And you can go here to look at more an other topics in Randland :)

http://www.wotmania.com/theorypost.asp

Tell ya what will happen,

The DO will have to come out of his prison, so he can get defeated, but the DO doesn't have a physical body, makes it hard to defeat someone doesn't it?

The DO merges with Rand, Logain zaps rand (glory), therefore the DO dies, because the DO has to be mortal to die, therefore the mortal body (rand) must die. He gets zapped, and everyone is happy.

'Nuff Said.

Bela the Creater? Kinda like how Fizban was Paladine and Tom Bombadil is an immensely powerful Maia?

Those reasons are so convoluted! I say he just dies, blamo.

Or maybe his heart stops they give him CPR and he's alive, thus fulfilling the prophecy.

Guest Barmacral

Ah Ha! Maia! Thats what they are called, thanks Myyrth.

P.S. Fizban is teh bomb.

Oh yea, and Bela being the creater, that would be really cool.

The theory embraces these points and supposes the possibility that at some point in the future they will swap bodies. Furthermore, the theory suggests that this will be the way that Rand "dies" - that his body will be slain yet his soul will live on in Moridin's body - potentially fulfilling the "to live you must die" statement made by the Finns.

Nah... to me it seems glaringly obvious how the Finns statement will be fulfilled if you have read KoD (spoilers ahead if you havent)

Semirhage said that in order for Rand not to go crazy with LTT in his head, they would have to be merged. By merging with LTT, Rand as an individual would 'die' because he would be (possibly) half Rand and half Lews. A new personality who is a combination of both characters. Also, assuming - Is it Alivia that is to "help him die"? - performs the weave the merges the two, that would fulfill her prophecy as well..

The theory embraces these points and supposes the possibility that at some point in the future they will swap bodies. Furthermore' date=' the theory suggests that this will be the way that Rand "dies" - that his body will be slain yet his soul will live on in Moridin's body - potentially fulfilling the "to live you must die" statement made by the Finns.[/quote']

Nah... to me it seems glaringly obvious how the Finns statement will be fulfilled if you have read KoD (spoilers ahead if you havent)

Semirhage said that in order for Rand not to go crazy with LTT in his head, they would have to be merged. By merging with LTT, Rand as an individual would 'die' because he would be (possibly) half Rand and half Lews. A new personality who is a combination of both characters. Also, assuming - Is it Alivia that is to "help him die"? - performs the weave the merges the two, that would fulfill her prophecy as well..

We're not talking about Lew Therin and Rand, we're talking about Rand and Morridin. I'm curious as to why people think that will happen, and if all that many people really believe it.

Although, with that said, I'm not so sure your theory is quite right, I think it will be a little more complex than "they just have to merge" I'm not so sure that Alivia will know how to make Rand merge with a crazy voice in his head.

I'm one of the believers that Alivia will help Rand fake his death.

Would you mind quoting KoD and the line that Sermirhage said they need to merge? I don't remember that, but it would support your theory, but I'd be pretty dissappointed in RJ, since he's already merged Slayer, and Fain with the shadar logath guy, I don't like the idea of him doing it again with LTT, Rand, and Morridin - which is why I don't believe either theory.

did you not read the Subject of this forum?

While I may have been slightly off topic, as you can see from text I quoted, it IS relevant to the discussion at hand. I didn't come in and start discussing American Idol, and with all due respect, the question you posted was anwered in the first response to the thread and further links provided two posts later. So if we can discuss Bela being the creater and other theories on the DO being defeated, I don't think I was out of line and deserving of correction, thank you very much. :)

Would you mind quoting KoD and the line that Sermirhage said they need to merge? I don't remember that, but it would support your theory, but I'd be pretty dissappointed in RJ, since he's already merged Slayer, and Fain with the shadar logath guy, I don't like the idea of him doing it again with LTT, Rand, and Morridin - which is why I don't believe either theory

I wouldn't mind but I am at work and therefore don't have the book handy, but I think I found the quote on wotmania:

KoD (A Plain Wooden Box ) - ”Graendal could explain it better than I. Madness was her specialty. I will try, however. You know of people who hear voices in their heads? Sometimes, very rarely, the voices they heard are the voices of past lives. Lanfear claimed he knew things from our own Age, things only Lews Therin Telamon could know. Clearly, he is hearing Lews Therin’s voice. It makes no difference that his voice is real, however. In fact, it makes his situation worse. Even Graendal usually failed to achieve reintegration with someone who heard a real voice…”

I believe Min's prophecy will be fulfilled when Alivia successfully reintegrates Rand and LTT and will also be a metaphorical 'death' for Rand as he becomes one with LTT.

Outsider, I edited my original reply to your post, after I read it. I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk, but it did come off that way. Sorry, bad Day.

I was mostly just interested in finding that line from Serm. since it's been a while since I've read KoD and don't remember much of that kind of stuff.

We're not talking about Lew Therin and Rand, we're talking about Rand and Morridin. I'm curious as to why people think that will happen, and if all that many people really believe it.

I took the time to find those two links for you, so it would be nice if you took the time to read them. ;) They will answer most -- maybe all -- of your questions.

Archived