DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Vampire Diaries Mafia Sign-Ups

wheeloftime13

So...I'm playing in a game with a bunch of newbie players and a bunch of people who think they're too good to actually join in?  Lol.  Pretty sure I could school any of these so-called mentors.  That's kind of a joke set up.  if you think you're good enough to be a mentor, hop in, throw your internet nuts out and step up.  Otherwise, stop pretending...unless you have a legit RL reason to not play.  Shit happens. 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there are new players who asked for mentors

there are ppl kind enough to help them

this isn't the main mafia board, it's the black tower, and the kind of aggression you're already showing pregame isn't the atmosphere sought here.

the language isn't cool here either.

the mod, btw, is very young, and very nice and I'd take it as a personal favor if you toned it down a tad. pretty please.

Sigh...I'm calling out people beforehand cause I've seen way too many games screwed up due to people being inactive or not caring.  So I'm hoping some trash talking beforehand will get players ready to go.  I usually play a decently vulgar, aggressive mafia game and don't plan on changing my entire strategy.  I am all for helping newbies, but it seems like more people want to mentor than play.  As for the language, as I've said I will try, but I tend to post first, ask questions later...although I did edit out a curse word in this post cause I know y'all don't like that. 

And if you want to mod a game, be prepared to mod a game.  Age doesn't give a pass.

it's not about what I like it's about what this sub board tolerates.

the mods age and the ages of a lot of the members here holds us to a pg13 rule that's just the way it is.

there are a scant handful of mentor pairs in this game.

the other signups, if they sign up, will do so after the holiday weekend.

trash talking, aggression, and otherwise bullying the inactivity and other pet peeve issues by trying to force one style of play over others and intimidate newbs away from playing has accomplished one thing around here - whittling the willing player field down to bupkis.

so you do what you like.

I'd like to see DM mafia do well again and this imported aggro style sure hasn't helped IMO.

but I'm already burned out for a while so, carry on.

And I am perfectly fine with trying to work within the rules of the forum.

That said, I am not going to let people skate with scummy behavior, be inactive, and otherwise not play just so I don't hurt feelings.  That kills games more than anything. 

I do not try to force a style...but I play my style and after seeing how laziness hurt my home forum...I won't tolerate it.  I don't bully...but I don't let people bend me over either. 

I want a good, active game where we all yell at each other, cuss each other out, have a blast and after the game hug it out with no hard feelings and a good laugh.  I never take Mafia personally.  Let's have fun, play like family around a monopoly board and enjoy ourselves.

your post is internally inconsistent in several points. you do not force... you will not tolerate.

this isn't your house yet btw. you do not force and your intolerance has only one real outlet.

you have nonetheless convinced me that not playing is a good thing.

I'm sleepy.

have fun.

Have fun, enjoy the game and be active...but hey, if you yell, throw a hissy, be aggressive, go after someone...it's just a game.  Enjoy the game but play the game.  And have a good laugh afterwards. That's the point.  I've seen a number of forums where people don't play the game.  I'll always give more leeway to a newbie that is trying than a vet who is slacking. 

And if that mindset convinces you to not play then oh well.  I've had a couple other people not play cause the quality has gone up on a couple forums and they can't slack. 

I have never claimed this to be 'my house' as I was brought here on invite, but if me not wanting someoneto skate through a Day 1 with 2 posts(I've seen it before and it's what I was referring to) is intolerance than I am guilty.  If you raise the quality then the quantity will come.  If this mindset isn't accepted lemme know cause I'll need to bow out.

you know nothing about me or most of the players here.

I could make some predictions but it will be more fun for all including you to watch this unfold.

you don't ever need to take my feelings into consideration in your play. I won't sign up and spoil your fun :)

these were some words to the wise but ... lol, go for it.

I agree.  Which means I will have to use past experience and general strategy to make reads.

I play Mafia for the fun of it so that is fine by me.

I want you to sign up!  You come across as a very smart individual that would be fun to play with.  But yeah...if someone goes emo sad in a game thread...that's not my problem.

Hahaha I tend to just go for it.  Makes things more interesting.

Sigh...I'm calling out people beforehand cause I've seen way too many games screwed up due to people being inactive or not caring.  So I'm hoping some trash talking beforehand will get players ready to go.  I usually play a decently vulgar, aggressive mafia game and don't plan on changing my entire strategy.  I am all for helping newbies, but it seems like more people want to mentor than play.  As for the language, as I've said I will try, but I tend to post first, ask questions later...although I did edit out a curse word in this post cause I know y'all don't like that. 

And if you want to mod a game, be prepared to mod a game.  Age doesn't give a pass.

If you continue like this, please un-sign up. Call people out on things all you want, but don't do it in a way it might, by the slightest chance, hurt their feelings. So no curses, offensive words, etc. Hurting peoples feelings is not about the message, but about how you bring the message.

If you continue like this, please un-sign up. Call people out on things all you want, but don't do it in a way it might, by the slightest chance, hurt their feelings. So no curses, offensive words, etc. Hurting peoples feelings is not about the message, but about how you bring the message.

I get that and it's why I've tried to curb my language here.  But I won't change my Mafia style because someone is oversensitive.  The slightest chance stuff is too bad.  You can't please everyone.  Go look in the current TTSS thread if you want an idea...although I have admittedly been a bit quiet there due to travel.

I have been reading the TTSS thread. I have been trying to really know what I am doing and I joined this game (as my first) because I knew that sometimes people would mentor. 

Wait...so why do people sign up to be mentors?  So they can teach someone to play without having to play?

If they don't have enough time to fully play the game but don't want to be fully involved.

Or, if they want to help get more/better players so the games are more fun for them.

I would think more or better players would be something you would like Rag.

So...it's assumed that the mentors are mildly functional players at best?

They are more experienced.

They arent counyed as players. They are just there (normally in role pm) to help and answer questions

So you won't see them or even notice that they aren't playing iow.

So...I'm playing in a game with a bunch of newbie players and a bunch of people who think they're too good to actually join in?  Lol.  Pretty sure I could school any of these so-called mentors.  That's kind of a joke set up.  if you think you're good enough to be a mentor, hop in, throw your internet nuts out and step up.  Otherwise, stop pretending...unless you have a legit RL reason to not play.  Shit happens. 

I think only 3 newbie players - of which I am the only one who would be playing the first game. So you would yes play with a few new players - but you wouldn't even know the mentors were there. Obviously they are mentoring because they might be busy, or just want to be nice and let new people get a handle on what looks like a fun game.  The mentor's won't change gameplay. 

I would think that if you didn't want people to be inactive or not care, a mentor is a good way to change that - it encourages new people to play, and gives them someone to show them how to play in a better way - more active, interested/care about the game. And yes - people who mod need to be prepared to mod a game - but this is a pg13 forum - and there will be some younger players and mods, so quit making excuses and just be nice. The game hasn't started yet - the thread was fun and active. That would lead me to think the game would be active, so you coming in and jumping all over everyone after 7 pages is a little silly.

In short...I hope calling people out beforehand will make the game better in the long run.  And if I have to be mildly offensive to accomplish this...I have no problem doing so.  But my end goal truly is for the betterment of the game.

Save it for the game.

Archived