DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Back To School Event] A discussion on School

lolguy26

well i agree, most students are as you described them, and generally we (students) get away with alot of things, the more popular the student (between staff and students) the more they get away with things.

example, my class is known as the best class, the smartest and politest, hardworking, etc, which while being  true also makes us, some of the most spoiled students in the school, we get away with pretty much everything, like changing teachers if we prefer others, coming to class late, using phones in class etc. (the fact that we're only 8 in the class, and 5 of them are girls, has something to do with it).

Another thing we have to discuss is, School Faculty (teachers, administrators, etc)

Your experience with them? 

The Decisions they take?

Were you on their good side or bad side in school?

Did you have any that hated you?

(just some questions to start us of)

I am surprised how worse it is at schools elsewhere. Here if someone catches you with phone in school, you never get it back. Parents rarely come to speak on students behalf(in fact students fear their parents being called).

School faculty. All administration is managed by Sisters of a missionary group. Vice Principal is hated by all. Principal has a mind of her own and thinks of weird activities no student likes. Teachers don't like because she is bent on reducing their pay and keeping as many temps as possible(source: my friend whose mother teaches in school).

Teachers, well some are nice and some not so nice. Some won't pass you unless you take tuitions from them or won't ever give you anything near good marks(arguing with them serves no purpose, no one listens to students). Some even give out exam questions to the students who take tuitions from them. All this is true. I have one of the teachers who gives out question papers to those in tuitions but luckily not one of those who won't give marks unless you join their tuitions.

I have been on the good side of teachers. I guess its just being a nice, studious girl who doesn't do anything against rules.

Personal experience

hated every second of every day. looking back on it now, retroactively hate it more. srsly.

head start, they gave up trying to pry my fingers loose from the door jamb after two weeks. I didn't need head start and I knew it. and so did they, but mad props for trying to get the free daycare. what I learned - be real quiet and leave the grownups in peace or they'll try to send you to head start.

kg-g2 public school in one of the worst (most violent, highest murder rate, highest gang membership rate, highest IV drug abuse rate in the US for several years, extreme poverty, etc.) districts in the country. last year baby boomers, 50 kids in my class, two of us could read by the end of g2. had to have mass trips to the bathroom for our own safety or we'd be prey to gangs, frequent (minimum weekly) evacuations for bomb threats, at least one actual pipe bomb thrown through the cafeteria doors in g1 (yippies, vile creatures). upside was we'd get walked to the armory from where we could sneak away easily. no one cared.

g3-12 various ultra orthodox religious private schools, until g9 all girls. yeshivas. had to fake being religious. you ever try to fake Orthodox Judaism? lol. fun times. I managed to get kicked out of one only to be rewarded with being sent to a more religious, restrictive, and oppressive one. cannot express the depths of hatred I had for these places, or the resentment I had toward being forced to go.

college - I was free. that's all I was there for. it was good. I was bad.

Education System

I always think it can't get much worse, but it always does. complete failure to educate in the US except for ppl who can afford private school or who snag scholarships.

The Teachers

Some very dedicated ones. a couple who understood my major malfunction and made things better. a couple who seemed to be in education for the wrong reasons. most just trying to do their jobs and earn their pay.

The Students

I was in the wrong place. one if these things was not like the others. I hung out with the few geeks and misfits and other charity cases around. by the end of grade school and again of high school, most ppl liked me, and I liked them well enough.

they were like humans always are.

Status Quo

I rejected it by nature and by nurture.

and may I just take the opportunity to once again delight in the fact that schools out forever. :happy:

i think moon's the only person i know who enjoyed school (on DM that is)

No, she is not the only one. I liked school. I love to learn new things. If I could afford it I would probably study the rest of my life. :)  I think that we had mostly good teachers. There were of course things that I didn´t like. We had many subjects at the same time wich led to many homeworks and many tests. I was very stressed in senior high school because I wanted to get high grades. I did get decent grades because I studied a lot. What I realised when I started to study at the university was that I hadn´t needed to think for myself very much before. If you could memorize facts you did good. At university I had to learn to think for myself, that was interesting. :D

Now I´m a teacher. A lot of things have changed since I went to school. It´s no longer enough to memorize facts. That will make you pass the class but nothing more. To get good grades you need to be able to draw conclusions, analyze, compare things, understand cause and effect etc. A good teacher help kids to learn to think for themselves. I still think that school is a little too much it´s own world. 

Swedish school politics *insert the worst curse you can come up with*! The different parties uses the schools to gain votes wich pretty much means that they tell everyone how bad the school is and how good it will be if we vote them. You can´t get ordinary people to vote for pedagogical ideas so they talk about early grades, if you should have mobile phone in school, how to deal with agressive students, discipline etc. I really think that the teachers can decide about the students use of mobile phones, that´s nothing that our minister of education needs to deal with. Teachers gets more and more administrative work since everything needs to be documented. Fewer and fewer choose to become teachers since the salary is bad (compared to how long you have to study), the work is tough and it´s hard to have a career. I could probably write forever about our school politics but I will leave it here.

Archived