DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin or Elyas, who fulfilled the wolf prophecy?

15 members have voted

1. 1. Perrin of Elyas, who fulfilled the wolf prophecy?

• Perrin
    • Elyas

As we all know the wolves had long believed that a two legs would arise to lead them in The Last Hunt.  Given that one of the three main characters was a Wolfbrother, it was assumed by many readers that Perrin would be the fulfillment of this prophesy.  However, as the story played out we find that Perrin ended up sleeping through most the The Last Battle while Elyas fought along side the wolves in TG.  Sure Perrin did fight along side the wolves in their confrontation with the Darkhounds, however, his presence was inconsequential as it was the wolf Heros of the Horn who defeated the Darkhounds.  This leads me to believe that Elyas was, in fact, the two legs prophesied to lead the wolves in the Last Hunt.  Why then was Perrin spun out as a Wolfbrther?  Well, I believe the wheel gave him his abilities for a different purpose, namely so that he could learn the Wolf Dream and thereby deal with Slayer who posed a serious threat to The Dragon Reborn.  This is why the Wheel spun out two prominent Wolfbrothers prior to the Last Battle, Elyas to lead the wolves and Perrin to counter Slayer.

Perrin had to be there to stop Lanfear. Egwene had to die to help Rand, and there was noone else who could defend him T'a'R. Slayer was a bonus, sure, but still I think he only had to exist so Perrin was strong enough to beat Lanfear.

As to who led the Wolves: Elyas does make a slightly better fit for actually leading wolves; Perrin led men.

Perrin had to be there to stop Lanfear. Egwene had to die to help Rand, and there was noone else who could defend him T'a'R. Slayer was a bonus, sure, but still I think he only had to exist so Perrin was strong enough to beat Lanfear.

As to who led the Wolves: Elyas does make a slightly better fit for actually leading wolves; Perrin led men.

Good point about Lanfear, however, I've always felt that there was a nice symmetry in the fact that there were two characters with unique powers gunning for Rand, namely Fain and Slayer and that the other two Ta'veran were uniquely suited to deal with them.  But either way it was necessary for someone to learn the wolf dream so as to protect Rand.

I think there would have been more people who could travel through Tel'aran'rhiod as time went on.  Egwene had plans to send Accepted to the Wise Ones to help them learn the dream and gave the dream ter'angreal to the Wavemistresses in hopes that they would learn the dream as well.  Apart from Egwene as a Dreamer, the three Wise Ones who were dreamwalkers, Perrin and Elyas who walked the wolf dream there doesn't seem to be anyone outrightly who can just jump in and out of the World of Dreams.  But in the Age of Legends lots of people utilized the World of Dreams, despite not being Dreamers/dreamwalkers/Wolfbrothers.  I think as time went on there would have been a rise of that again.

I think there would have been more people who could travel through Tel'aran'rhiod as time went on.  Egwene had plans to send Accepted to the Wise Ones to help them learn the dream and gave the dream ter'angreal to the Wavemistresses in hopes that they would learn the dream as well.  Apart from Egwene as a Dreamer, the three Wise Ones who were dreamwalkers, Perrin and Elyas who walked the wolf dream there doesn't seem to be anyone outrightly who can just jump in and out of the World of Dreams.  But in the Age of Legends lots of people utilized the World of Dreams, despite not being Dreamers/dreamwalkers/Wolfbrothers.  I think as time went on there would have been a rise of that again.

Oooooookayyyyyyyyyy, but what does this have to do with Perrin and Elyas' roles in The Last Battle?

I think Perrin's arc in TAR in aMoL was mostly Brandons interpretation; it didn't have the feel of RJ's writing or plot. 

Is this old yet?  I mean, i may not post often but i visit multiple times a day.  It seems people are more concerned with identifying who they *think* wrote xyz instead of actually concerning themselves with the plot.

I don't care who wrote what,  its all canon now.  Its all we're going to get.

I thought Perrin led the wolves and fulfilled the prophecy.  Didn't the wolves tell him to lead them at the last battle?

They might have told him to lead them but that doesn't mean that he actually did.  It is a very vague point because we know that the wolves were participating in the Last Battle long before Perrin arrived.  We know that Elyas was there with the wolves but I don't know that we can say for sure if he was in charge for if he was just fighting along side them.  Perrin did show up near the end and lead them against the Darkhounds, but this was ineffectual and it was the Wolf Heros of the Horn who showed up to save the day.  Given these events it seems that Olver is a more likely candidate than Perrin as the prophesied two legs (they never specifically said the two legs in question would be a Wolfbrother LOL).  Anyway, while Perrin did play some important roles in the Last Battle his involvement with the wolves was minimal.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived