DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cricket guide for foreigners

Lilbaz

• 1 month later...

I agree with Ratwort's remark, even though our team always seems to put out their pilot lights or spends more time using their latex stallions:P  But Test cricket is at the top of this sport. Just do not include run outs!

Was my grandfather's pet hate when it came to Tests.

A game of cricket was the only live game at which I fell asleep. I was 15 then mind you, not 115. A wonderful game.I remember the rhytmic movement of the audience's jaws working on the chips and the stoic applause once every 5 hours or so.

After five hours this audience member laughed rather uproariously.

Well done!

So true...

:laugh:

I watched cricket when I was in England.  It wasn't that hard for me to understand, because I grew up playing baseball.

I remember when I found out about the rule against throwing I was astonished because bending and extending the elbow is a key part of a baseball pitcher's action.  Of course, baseball pitchers don't get running starts, can't actually "pitch" the ball (if a pitch hits the ground it's a ball), and scuffing or applying any foreign substance to the ball will get you thrown out of a game.

I'm not a cricket fan but I considered T20 too short after watching too many test crickets. Don't ask why I forced myself to sit there during long hot summer when really I'd rather watch ants' trails and making up stories about their little lives.

Also it's not cricket if you clap during those 'duck' moments, especially when it's the team you are supporting who got bowled out.

Really it's the only time I ever perk up, during the 'eagles' and the ducks and the sixes moments in the game.

Can someone please enlighten me as to the purpose of rubbing the ball against the crotch?

Is it to endow some sort of mystical power to the ball, as in one ball to another so to speak?

Is it for aerodynamic reason?

Why the crotch???

I find this practise on the part of the bowlers to be disconcertingly titillating. Slightly.

Hah judging by the quality of your answer you think I'm being facetious but I can assure I'm genuinely intrigued.

Questions like this tend to occupy my thoughts during those long bouts of cricket.

For example has anyone noticed how phallocentric the whole game is or is it just me being a girl and all?

cricketers rub one side of the ball so its shiny and keep the other side roughed up so then if a bowlers action is right it can 'swing' through the air. The spit makes the shiny side slightly heavier and move through the air easier (aerodynamics). When the ball is bowled with the seam up/down, the ball swings toward the side of the dull side of the ball.

From wiki answers.

I think it's just to titilate suchmadness.

• Community Administrator

cricketers rub one side of the ball so its shiny and keep the other side roughed up so then if a bowlers action is right it can 'swing' through the air. The spit makes the shiny side slightly heavier and move through the air easier (aerodynamics). When the ball is bowled with the seam up/down, the ball swings toward the side of the dull side of the ball.

From wiki answers.

Doesn't the ball fly through the air to slow for any of that to take affect? :tongue:

From wiki answers.

I thought so.

And I don't deserve the eye rolling that I get when I asked this kind of questions either. It keeps me amused at least.

From wiki answers.

I thought so.

And I don't deserve the eye rolling that I get when I asked this kind of questions either. It keeps me amused at least.

Eye rolling was not my reaction.  :wink:

From wiki answers.

Doesn't the ball fly through the air to slow for any of that to take affect? :tongue:

I know right???

Even the wiki answers is incredibly suggestive don't you think?

From wiki answers.

I thought so.

Eye rolling was not my reaction.  :wink:

Erm just wondering whether I care what your reaction is hello internet stranger.

Thanks for answering me at least.

• 1 year later...

Archived