DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Prologue Through to the End of Chapter 5.

Luckers

Page 155 had what was for me the absolute funniest moment of the series to date. I got core exercise laughing at that.

"You do know what the meeting is about, don't you?" Egwene said.

He waved a hand. "Talking this man out of his conquering ways, or something like that."

"Good enough."

I just imagine Egwene's expression going from :| to O.o to :D and I start laughing again.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole Black Tower thing isn't going how I planned it at all.  I never thought Logain was stuffed in a basement cell.  I never thought that the fight for the Black Tower would be a handful of good guys vs a tower of turned asha'man.  Is the Black Tower completely lost?  It doesn't seem there are many good people left or is it just that we haven't had much perspective on the tower really?

I am so far disappointed with the black towers, as of chapter 5.  I mean come on the biggest gathering of men going to the shadow.... WTf... the only thing I can think of is a duapoly of being able to change things back due to the balance of the wheel.  but still Logain captured, that is utter crap.

I have to say I feel so sorry for Isam the poor thing, when we learn about his horrible past in the prologue.

The poor thing didn't even have a chance, growing up like this. I know that he grew up to be a bastard and he will proberbly die and deserves to, but still...

since I heard his storry this morning I can't forget about it and imagine this poor child all alone in the town being brainwashed with constant terror.

This is the worst thing in the whole series so far, maybe besides the making of thakandar blades by klilling people and the whole concept of domane.

Do you think there might be a chance for him to find some kind of salvation at least? Or a meeting between him and Lan? Lan killing him in honor or any such thing...

Well, I guess not.

I was a little confused about the bit where Moridin references Weiramon and Lews Therin embracing saidin to hear people's heartbeats. 

Thoughts?

I think this refers to Rand discovering Weiramon as a Darkfriend in TOM.  I guess Rand gave him a One Power polygraph.

I got a different take on that.  I don't think it was a trick by Rand.  I think he really can see darkfriends on sight now.  Mordin just doesn't understand how he can do that and was fishing for an answer.  At this point he doesn't understand all that Zen Rand is capable of.

This whole Black Tower thing isn't going how I planned it at all.  I never thought Logain was stuffed in a basement cell.  I never thought that the fight for the Black Tower would be a handful of good guys vs a tower of turned asha'man.  Is the Black Tower completely lost?  It doesn't seem there are many good people left or is it just that we haven't had much perspective on the tower really?

They explicitly say in Chapter 3 that most of the Tower hasn't been turned, but that they can only trust a handful + the Two Rivers lads to fight Taim.

It appears Rand subtlely insults Ishmael by calling him by only a single name (Elan).* The Forsaken always refer to Rand as Lews Therin, and I can think of at least one other instance where the two name form is used.

*I thought he was similarly insulting Lanfear, but the wikis don't show a third name for her.

The reference to the Demandred - Roedran  theory is rather crudely done. 

It just seems to be a bit superficial especially as it is aimed directly at the internet fans.

Just one of many jarring, blunt moments. The 4th wall is consistently broken in this novel.

So far, I'm quite impressed with the book.

The info from Isam's POV was very interesting, and I agree, saddening.  Made you pitty him some.  His fear of the Red-Veiled Aiel foreshadows some potentially interesting battles.

I forget if I retired after the 5th chapter, or a bit later last night.  If this next bit is actually later, mods, please feel free to remove it:

Taim being named a Chosen was quite interesting, though not unexpected.  It has be a while since I've reread books 6-11; has Taim always been described as having a smile that didn't reach his eyes?  If not, when did that first appear?

Moiraine's performance in the brokering of the treaty seemed... wooden.  Maybe it's that Sanderson hadn't yet had much experience voicing her, or perhaps it is an artifact of the fact it was from another's perspective, and not Moiraine's POV.

The entire Dragon's Boon scene seemed poorly done other than the return of Moraine. The dialogue of the players in this scene and concepts of the treaty itself came across as childish, arbitrary, and overly specific. Anyway, I am probably being too critical but I personally did not care much for the scene and feel it is totally out of place in the Wheel of Time works. I also want to kick Egwene in the mouth...and I am typically an Egwene fan. Other than this scene I have really been loving the first couple hundred pages.

In no particular order here are a few comments and questions I have so far:

* Which Forsaken is now controlling Isam?

* I am surprised by how sorry I feel for him.

* Pevara kicks ass.'

* I enjoy the interaction between Pevara and Androl.

* I am not sure how to feel about the mind reading perk of the double channeler bond. Its a cool idea but was it formed in RJ's mind or Sanderson's? Does it really matter either way?

* The shower scene should have been steamier...pun intended!

* I am really interested in how the good channeler turned evil will be resolved...will it be Healed, reveresed, or delt with in some other fashion.

I still love Egwene. Someone standing up to Rand was necessary.

Umm no. I'm baffled by how quickly she leaped to the conclusion that Rand was wrong about the seals, and how stubborn she is being. He is the Dragon Reborn, and has the memories of LTT. I think he's a BIT more effing qualified to be in charge of the seals than her, FFS.

It is either Cyndane or Graendal (forgot the new name).  Note she was checking out her new face in the cup.  Encyclopaedia-wot suspects Graendal, but that seems odd, as Graendal was the one who had him previously.

The entire Dragon's Boon scene seemed poorly done other than the return of Moraine. The dialogue of the players in this scene and concepts of the treaty itself came across as childish, arbitrary, and overly specific. Anyway, I am probably being too critical but I personally did not care much for the scene and feel it is totally out of place in the Wheel of Time works. I also want to kick Egwene in the mouth...and I am typically an Egwene fan. Other than this scene I have really been loving the first couple hundred pages.

* I am surprised by how sorry I feel for him.

* Pevara kicks ass.'

* I enjoy the interaction between Pevara and Androl.

* I am not sure how to feel about the mind reading perk of the double channeler bond. Its a cool idea but was it formed in RJ's mind or Sanderson's? Does it really matter either way?

* The shower scene should have been steamier...pun intended!

* I am really interested in how the good channeler turned evil will be resolved...will it be Healed, reveresed, or delt with in some other fashion.

Glad I'm not the only Egwene fan having issues with her.

I was under the impression that the Forsaken who visited Isam was the new Graendal.

I personally feel like finding a way to reverse the 13 x13 turning would cheapen the impact of it. It should be permanent to really drive home the direness of it all.

It is either Cyndane or Graendal (forgot the new name).  Note she was checking out her new face in the cup.  Encyclopaedia-wot suspects Graendal, but that seems odd, as Graendal was the one who had him previously.

It is not Graendal, but Lanfear as she was described a slim and rather pretty as far as I can recall. Graendal in her current form is far from that.

Really have enjoyed the Black Tower so far with Androl and Pevara.

The FOM meeting was pathetic. All the build up and then it is just Rand making some demands which totally seem out of character. Whatever Rand is he is not naive. Yet in the Last boon chapter he comes across as naive and not calculating and assured as he has been in the past, all this build up and clever manipulation to get all the powers in the worlds together and then he just presents them with the demands. Lol I dont swallow that Brandon. It is evidently Brandon attempting to bring out his more human side, but Imo it comes out awfully.

Am up the part where Moraine comes in and saves the day on the field of Merrilor.  I am trying to figure out where Rand's Zen went this day.  Apparently he should have gotten himself some sleep the night before instead of hanging out all night with Avienda, because he difinitely did not approach this meeting with his game face on.  All a sudden, the image of him as a 400+ year old wise man  is gone, and we are once again left with the boy who has no control over his emotions...

I did not like the dialogue in the tent.  It was mis-managed imo, and impressions that were building in the last book all the way up to this point are suddenly thrown asside.  I could have spoken to that council better than Rand did, and that is saying something...

Exactly..  I am trying to figure out how this part of the book made it through the editorial process..  It does not feel real and it is frustrating.. 

Also worth considering.  This is a very important part of the story, one that has been building since the beginning of book 13.  I am not so bothered with the way Egwene is behaving as I am the way Rand can't make a half way decent case to change her mind.  He seems to have lost his zen-ness for lack of a better word, and can no longer communicate in a wise manner.  He goes in and just makes his demands, then gets all angry when folks don't see it his way, all the while making very little in the way of convincing argument for his points.  This fails to deliver, and is really out of character for him at this point imo.

Archived