DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Reccomendations

EmperorAllspice

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there is a named villain and his Arch Imager. And you are pretty sure about another one, but the damn good guys just can't see what you see. They always have a back up plan. Nothing is left to chance. They've been plotting a long time.

The main girl doesn't even belong there and some think she is a toy they created whilst others think she is powerful. You know who she should trust but grrrrrrrr and all that. The Hero man has a reputation for beng the most rubbishest ever but he is still trying. And when he finally gets sorted its like the sunrise coming up in the morning and you just want to cheer.

But even then, they are no match for the bad guys. Or are they?

I'm worried about that final part. I don't llike one sided finales. Remember, outside of Applejack from My Little Pony and Allen Walker from D Gray Man, I feel no joy when a main character does something "cool". I can like them as a person and want to see them succeed. But full on being badass holds little interest for me

:tongue: @ Ithi

God, isn't there ANY series where the ANTAGONISTS can actualy be comepetent. I didn't think this would be hard.

I don't want the hero to be a loser, but I don't want the villain to be either. I want something where both the antagonists and the protagonists are good at what they do. I'm not interested in sitting around reading about the hero being badass

Would you like a series about an antihero main character then? Apparently used to be my dad's fav books - the Elric of Melniboné saga by Michael Moorcock?

I've only read a bit of it, and twas the German version, a while ago (then I lost the book >.>) but it was quite good.

@Nyanna No. I'm not a fan of Villain Protagonists. I like the character we're following to be better than the people he's up against thank you very much

Then again, my favourite series of all time is Death Note. (though that's because L is my favourite antagonist in all of fiction. But then, he was more of a Deuteragonist)

@Nyanna No. I'm not a fan of Villain Protagonists. I like the character we're following to be better than the people he's up against thank you very much

Then again, my favourite series of all time is Death Note. (though that's because L is my favourite antagonist in all of fiction. But then, he was more of a Deuteragonist)

:) all good

Although, Elric isn't really a villain, he's got a conscience...of sorts :P but yeah, it's definitely not a happy ending story.

So what's the synopsis of this series, Ithillian?

Well, I will try my best. Mordant is a jumble of various suburb countries that were at war for a very long time. Each Lord of their Land had their own Cabal of Imagers, who had the talent to make mirrors that held images that could be released into the 'real world' there were untold horrors released upon the Land because of the selfish nature of the Lords and the Imagers who acted like gods with little or no sense of responsibility.

One man felt that enough was enough, and he gathered an army and brought all the Lands to heel and created one Kingdom, with himself as king. To do this he took all of the Imagers and brought them into his own Demesne - which meant he had the power to use them to create a peace. Since then the Imagers have formed a society based on serving the kingdom and have ranks and apprentices and so on. But the King is getting old and is probably mad. His own Imager Havelock is an Adept, but he is crazy too - and those who were thwarted in the past can see the kingdom is failing and are starting to make their moves to bring it down.

In another world a girl called Theresa has been genrally ignored by her father and yet is safely ensconced in a safe apartment, doing a humdrum job because she doesn't feel like she is worth any better. She surrounds herself with mirrors to prove she exists. Into her world one day, and man appears in her room via the mirror. It shouldn't have happened. He's done it all wrong again, but he is there and asks her to go with him because he believes she is the champion who will ultimately save Mordant and all that it means.

And that is how it begins. Hopefully I remembered it all clearly enough and haven't made it sound too rubbish. I can lend it if you like.

So what's the synopsis of this series, Ithillian?

Well, I will try my best. Mordant is a jumble of various suburb countries that were at war for a very long time. Each Lord of their Land had their own Cabal of Imagers, who had the talent to make mirrors that held images that could be released into the 'real world' there were untold horrors released upon the Land because of the selfish nature of the Lords and the Imagers who acted like gods with little or no sense of responsibility.

One man felt that enough was enough, and he gathered an army and brought all the Lands to heel and created one Kingdom, with himself as king. To do this he took all of the Imagers and brought them into his own Demesne - which meant he had the power to use them to create a peace. Since then the Imagers have formed a society based on serving the kingdom and have ranks and apprentices and so on. But the King is getting old and is probably mad. His own Imager Havelock is an Adept, but he is crazy too - and those who were thwarted in the past can see the kingdom is failing and are starting to make their moves to bring it down.

In another world a girl called Theresa has been genrally ignored by her father and yet is safely ensconced in a safe apartment, doing a humdrum job because she doesn't feel like she is worth any better. She surrounds herself with mirrors to prove she exists. Into her world one day, and man appears in her room via the mirror. It shouldn't have happened. He's done it all wrong again, but he is there and asks her to go with him because he believes she is the champion who will ultimately save Mordant and all that it means.

And that is how it begins. Hopefully I remembered it all clearly enough and haven't made it sound too rubbish. I can lend it if you like.

And who's the named villain?

also, how do you intend to "lend" it to me? I'm reading WOT right now. I won't be reading anything else till I'm finished with that

E-books indeed.

Well the Arch imager is called Vagel. But he is the servant of the High King, who also has the Monomach (like a super swordsman assassin)

I found the proper synopsis on wikipedia

Terisa Morgan opens the series living a vacant life, supported by her father from afar and volunteering at a mission for lack of anything more purposeful to do with her time. She fills her apartment with mirrors so as to see her reflection and thus be constantly reassured of her existence. Geraden, an apprentice Imager (magician) from a land called Mordant appears in her apartment, searching for aid against a powerful enemy who has been plaguing Mordant with monsters translated from other worlds. As mirrors are inextricably linked with magic in Mordant, Terisa's home decor convinces him that he has stumbled into the lair of a powerful sorceress. He persuades her to accompany him back to the Castle Orison, where she finds herself embroiled in a morass of intrigue and danger from both the political plotting of a corrupt court and from the frightening magical creatures that appear without warning and can't seem to be defended against.

Terisa is suddenly the center of attention, a position that she has never before held, which is not easy because Geraden is held in little regard at the castle; so court opinion naturally is divided on whether she should be taken seriously as a potentially powerful ally, threat, or treated as an object of ridicule and proof of Geraden's perceived incompetence. She must deal with the ever earnest Geraden, the senile King Joyse and his headstrong daughters, the mad Adept Havelock, the inimical Castellan Lebbick, Geraden's mostly-well-meaning brothers, the lascivious Master Eremis and the rest of the disorganized group of Imager masters Geraden belongs to known collectively as the Congery.

Unsurprisingly, the story twists and turns, very little is as it seems in Orison and various groups plot to depose King Joyse and take over Mordant. The mysterious rogue Imager is still sending magical creatures to cause destruction seemingly without rhyme or reason; the High King's Monomach, the best swordsmen in the land, appears in Orison by seemingly impossible translations; and Geraden remains firmly convinced that he has not made a mistake and that Terisa definitely is to be Mordant's champion and salvation despite her own doubts, protests, and debilitating passivity.

I'm stuck like emperer is with my readings. I like following a single character when I read or two at the most. I keep putting books down because of that. (The Malazan Book of the Fallen series, The Night Angel Trilogy (I read all of kylar's storyline then couldn't force myself to go back and read the rest lol), the Pern series, a SoIaF, I couldn't get past half way into book 4 when the changed all the characters -__-, and a bunch of other books I can't recall.)

Emperer I might suggest:

Terry Brook's Shannara series (it's a bunch of different stories revolving around magic, elves, and humans ranging with different antagonists usually demons of some sort however; Each "story" includes a timeline with a main character throughout usually 3 or 4 books, and as the books get newer in publication time usually the timeline of the setting gets more and more into the future.)

The Runelords Series (I've particularly enjoyed this series (it's not finished yet though) the antagonist seems to be a person, and then ends up being some other powerful being that was just pulling the strings and tries to end the world. The protagonist goes from one man as he goes through early adulthood, into becoming a king, and then to his son as the story unfolds and the antagonists become more clear and more powerful.) This may be more of what you might be looking for.

You might also try the author duo Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory's books. They usually have non-"badass" protagonists and antagonists. I found that the Obsidian Trilogy was good in this. The main character finds himself thrown out of the city of mages for being incompetent among other things, and finds that he has a different magic than those in the city, and that demons are trying to end the world, and send they powerful and obscure obstacles in his path to overcome. Along with some mild humor (random things like being so absorbed in what they were doing a person ran into the snow without and shoes on and then notices only after a few minutes and it being pointed out to them, etc.) I found it to be a good read.

Hope this is what you are looking for :)

The most epic trilogy in the known world, in my humble opinion, is the Night Angel Trilogy. Give it a try. You could also look up the Dresden Files, I love those as well and am eagerly awaiting the new book.

Oh, THATS where your name is from. I thought it seemed familiar. And yes, both of those series are amazah.

Archived