DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

About to play FF6 for the first time...

balefired-ed2

• Community Administrator

Only tip I can offer you is.. Fully expolore every dungeon, and spend a little extra time leveling your characters up at each segment, don't rush through each area (even though you can) There comes a point in the game, where gaining an extra 10 levels early on, helps you after the intermission of events that happens part way through it. Those extra levels help prevent you from getting totally raped. :tongue:

Also, make sure you read all the dialogue, and possibly even jot down some notes. This isn't world of warcraft with map pointers bringing you to quest locations, to kill X beasts. (I know you probably know this, just have to make this point) Cause there are times your probably going to forget what it is you needed to go, or where to go. Pay very close attention to any words that stand out in the text. :wink:

Oh, and you picked a very good game to play!

Only tip I can offer you is.. Fully expolore every dungeon, and spend a little extra time leveling your characters up at each segment, don't rush through each area (even though you can) There comes a point in the game, where gaining an extra 10 levels early on, helps you after the intermission of events that happens part way through it. Those extra levels help prevent you from getting totally raped. :tongue:

Also, make sure you read all the dialogue, and possibly even jot down some notes. This isn't world of warcraft with map pointers bringing you to quest locations, to kill X beasts. (I know you probably know this, just have to make this point) Cause there are times your probably going to forget what it is you needed to go, or where to go. Pay very close attention to any words that stand out in the text. :wink:

Oh, and you picked a very good game to play!

Thanks for the heads up. By the by, I am not new to Final Fantasy. VII was my first. I have also played the original on PSP, XII, which I think is vastly underrated, Tactics, and Ogre Tactics. Ramza and Delitas story will always be my favorite, I suspect.

Yes!! The Dressphere was great. Even the ridiculously overpowered Mascot dressphere.

Well the dressphere thing was just Square-Enix tryign to apeal to the teen-female demographic, but what it came down to was simply a class change, and even that was just one mechanic of several as to why the gameplay in 10-2's was so much better than 10s.

13's combat system was really similar to 10s, minus the fact that you only control one character in 13 (10 you control 3) 13-2's combat is slightly upgraded? upon the first abit.. It feels al ittle more fluid.

Probably the biggest complaint on 13 is that you could quite litterally auto-attack your way through out the entire game, and the majority of your tactical gameplay was in switching classes (or if it were 10-2, dress spheres).

XII had a great system, you didn't have to gambit everything by far. Was quite fun.

The dress-spheres from X-2 were to appeal to the teen male demographic IMHO. Yay scantily clad females.

I love all FF tho, so I'm biased. Never played one I didn't like except for Tactics.

How......how can you not like Tactics?

The Job system was made of win.

I just couldn't stand the game. The job system wasn't bad, but I hated the battle system so much it was unplayable. Adam likes it tho, and I watch him play it sometimes.

Congratulations! FFVI is one of the most fantastic games of all times! :)

By the by, unrelated, but check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sAzzbrFgcUw

I wish I had a band director more into video game music haha.

Just finished up the phantom train section and have recruited Gau. I am busy learning his rages right now. Having a pretty good amount of fun. Oddly enough, the battle system so far reminds me a lot of Xenogears.

To be honest, Gau was always one of my weakest characters. I never spent much time leveling him or learning his rages. So I actually have no clue how good he is. This is in the middle of the part where the characters split up, yes? The thing I remember most about that part of the game is that Sabin rules once he learns that fire blitz.

I couldn't finish 12 when I played it, I think Vaan is annoying. I started 6 several times as well, but have never been able to find the time to finish it, I want to but can't find the time.

I love 8, it's my favorite, 7 is a close second. I like 9 too. I have a thing with Final Fantasy games that I look at every single corner of the map.

The ones I've played so far, in order of most to least favourite:

VI > IX > XII > I > VII > IV

I played the snes version of VI, is the translation different of ps1? One of Sabin's techniques is called 'bumrush' XD.

Yea, it was censored a little bit, as the whole video-games = for children only thing that people believed in the 80s and 90s.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I am still way early in the game, as I have been busy with other things and also split time with Jeanne D'Arc, since I am a sucker for games like that, i.e. FFT and Ogre Tactics.

As far as gameplay goes, I like it pretty well, although I do not know if I will ever like it more than VII, given that I think the materia system is one of the most fun, intuitive, and broken aspects of gaming ever created.

The party setup I enjoy and play with most is Edgar, Gau, Sabin, and Locke. Basically the three best damage dealers so far in my opinion and the one character who can steal stuff/spam items if I need him to. I especially enjoy Gau, since blue magic in FF is fun to me and usually the most powerful way to go. Learning his skills on the Veldt is a neat little distraction that has kept me from advancing the story. Also, he is my friend and we should travel together. The other characters have their uses I enjoy, especially Celes with her skill that nullifies enemy magic, but contrary to my usual style of playing a RPG, I have found damage dealing to be at a higher premium than defensive capability. That could change as I advance in the game, as I almost always tend toward defense and physical attacks, like in FF1 where my favorite party was Fighter, Monk, Red Mage, and White Mage.

One thing I do wish is that for the remake they did of this game for the PS1 is that they had cleaned up the sprites and general graphics, like what they did for the remake of FF1 on the PSP, where everything was pretty crisp.

Finally, I enjoy Kefka as a villain. It is nice to have a guy that unrepentantly crazy and evil that does things seemingly just for the evuls, and not out of any other motive.

Archived