DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Communicating with other Animals? maaybe?

Valeria Al'Terra

Ok, so far I am on Book 8, and I still know very little about Perrin's ability to communicate with wolves. From what I've gathered there is only the one ability to communicate with wolves.

Do you think it is possible that there are those who can speak with other animals? Such as lions,tigers and bears? Oh my, maybe even birds? We know the Dark one uses crows/ect, does he use them or do they heed his budding?

I find it intriguing - and wonder what others think and how possible it might be.

I was more interested if you guys think it was possible for there to be people that "could" speak with different types of animals. Since speaking with wolfs was suppose to be something very old - just seems odd that wolfs are the only creatures that can be communicated with.

If there are other creatures of TAR, then i think it likely that there could be something similar. Im pretty sure that TAR is the link between people wolves.

No one else talks to animals as of ToM.

There are Elyas and one other, a boy who have completely lost his humanity and become more animal than man in the mind who is briefly encountered.

Now as for if someone could speak with other animals than wolves, doubtful, wolves in Wheel of Time are magickal, other animals are not, well for the most part. In the Wheel of Time setting wolves are self conscious, and they have several supernatural traits, and I doubt that communication would be possible without these traits. I do not think communication with other animals is possible, not unless there are some other animals who have the same or similar traits which is not mentioned in the books yet.

I thought the communication with wolves developed in humanity waaaaay back when humanity was young and wild, and wolves and humans travelled together as packs. As humanity matured and civilized, so too did some of the wolves, leading to the modern dog. Man and dog lost the ability to communicate directly, as they lost the "wildness". Only wild animals appear in TAR, and a few gifted humans.

So, unless humanity also spent extended periods of time living with other wild creatures, I do not see how they would have developed an ability to talk to them. Maybe all that is needed is the TAR connection, and so communication with any wild beast is possible, but there is no indication of this that I have seen/noticed. Something special occurred with humans and wolves specifically, enabling mind-to-mind communication.

One possible exception is Bela. Bela was drawn into TAR by Egwene when she was summoned to become the Amerlyn. Maybe by drawing a domestic horse into TAR, Egwene began something that will be seen in another age. I like that idea. Horse-brothers/sisters would be pretty neat (though not as neat as Wolf-brothers/sisters).

All of that being said, this is a magical world, with many interesting things happening. Hurin's violence sniffing ability, for one. Where did that come from? So, anything is possible, but I think that at this point in the series, the world building is done (or at least low on the priority list), and adding in some deatil about other people speaking to other animals would just distract from the main plot lines.

I thought the communication with wolves developed in humanity waaaaay back when humanity was young and wild, and wolves and humans travelled together as packs. As humanity matured and civilized, so too did some of the wolves, leading to the modern dog. Man and dog lost the ability to communicate directly, as they lost the "wildness". Only wild animals appear in TAR, and a few gifted humans.

So, unless humanity also spent extended periods of time living with other wild creatures, I do not see how they would have developed an ability to talk to them. Maybe all that is needed is the TAR connection, and so communication with any wild beast is possible, but there is no indication of this that I have seen/noticed. Something special occurred with humans and wolves specifically, enabling mind-to-mind communication.

One possible exception is Bela. Bela was drawn into TAR by Egwene when she was summoned to become the Amerlyn. Maybe by drawing a domestic horse into TAR, Egwene began something that will be seen in another age. I like that idea. Horse-brothers/sisters would be pretty neat (though not as neat as Wolf-brothers/sisters).

All of that being said, this is a magical world, with many interesting things happening. Hurin's violence sniffing ability, for one. Where did that come from? So, anything is possible, but I think that at this point in the series, the world building is done (or at least low on the priority list), and adding in some deatil about other people speaking to other animals would just distract from the main plot lines.

Aye now that is a theory. Whiz, but wasn't that Bela more from Egwene's mind then actually Bela being projected in TAR? Or that is how I remember it.

Really why I asked was I was thinking of doing a Fan-fiction Aes Sedai character as Ran4747 said that could communicate with a Lion. However I do not wish to skew Robert Jordan's work. I want something that was unique and possible in the Wheel of Time world with out being so absurd that it comes off silly.

Really why I asked was I was thinking of doing a Fan-fiction Aes Sedai character as Ran4747 said that could communicate with a Lion. However I do not wish to skew Robert Jordan's work. I want something that was unique and possible in the Wheel of Time world with out being so absurd that it comes off silly.

The way I see it is that when one writes a fanfiction and put something new into it then as long as one is respectful of the original material then no harm is done. I love reading fanfictions and while I am often a bit skeptical of those that put new ideas in there, but as long as they adhere to the spirit of whatever setting they are written in they are often quite good. I would probably not read a WoT fanfiction that got completely out of wack, but someone being able to communicate with a great cat I do not think steps out of the realm of the probable to much, but then again who am I to give advice since I among other things write crossover fanfictions, so my idea of what is withing the realm of the probable in a given setting might be a bit off, and while I have not involved WoT in one yet I am just itching to cross that setting with Mage the Ascension, I have done so in RPGs several times and it have worked quite nicely.

Archived