DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

minor meetings u want to c

elric

I dont see a likely scenario where Cadsuane has a reason to use the power on him, so the foxhead medallion is moot.

You would have said the exact same thing about Tam and yet we get caricature Cads doing just that.

Further he has turned Mat ino a jester all too often. BS admitted as much in that he tried to make Mat so funny he lost the character.

All in all did Sid exaggerate for humor? Yeah of course. is it that far off what we have actually got? No, not at all.

Sanderson's Cadsuane is not nearly as ridiculous as you indicate. The Tam-Cadsuane confrontation is obvious a big point of contention here on Dragonmount, but the way you are extrapolating this to Sanderson treating Cadsuane like a cackling villian and Mat as a literal cartoon is clearly going overboard.

Not sure what part of "All in all did Sid exaggerate for humor? Yeah of course." you are having trouble with. Regardless as Sid and Luckers indicacted it unfortunately is all too rooted in reality. The issues are plain to see and very real. Posted this in another thread but BS himself said in regards to Mat...

BS

I didn't understand Mat. I tried so hard to make him funny, I wrote the HIM out of him".

As for Cads she would have been sickened at any AS who would have to resort to the power in that situation. Not to mention the lowest common denominator plot work that had the entire episode take all of a paragraph. In one sentence she goes from cooly asking him a question to lashing out with the power. Just terribly blunt writing.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mat and Cads getting together must warrant more than a "minor meeting" hashtag. Right? Besides, multiple threads already exist for the Cadsuane dissection. No need for a trite recaptiulation here. What do you think Suttree, any minor meetings you'd like to see? Maybe Bela and Akein comparing notes on the differences between the oats in Arad Doman and what's grown in the TR? How about Bayle and Weilin with a discourse on the costs and benefits of river trade during peacetime? :smile:

TU Fan for steering the thread back to its desined course :)

i wonder how Searin (the scared brown sitter) and Beir will get along ? :))

Min aunts meeting Morgez after the triple wedding as co=mother in law

Love that one. Would be great to see Min's aunts in any circumstance, especially if one of them had a PoV during that potential scene.

Did Saerin and Bair interact during Egwene's meeting of the channelers in T'a'R? Saerin, Adelorna and Pevara rock. Would like to see those three chatting it up with Bair, Amys and Melaine post-TG.

I dont see a likely scenario where Cadsuane has a reason to use the power on him, so the foxhead medallion is moot.

You would have said the exact same thing about Tam and yet we get caricature Cads doing just that.

Further he has turned Mat ino a jester all too often. BS admitted as much in that he tried to make Mat so funny he lost the character.

All in all did Sid exaggerate for humor? Yeah of course. is it that far off what we have actually got? No, not at all.

Sanderson's Cadsuane is not nearly as ridiculous as you indicate. The Tam-Cadsuane confrontation is obvious a big point of contention here on Dragonmount, but the way you are extrapolating this to Sanderson treating Cadsuane like a cackling villian and Mat as a literal cartoon is clearly going overboard.

Not sure what part of "All in all did Sid exaggerate for humor? Yeah of course." you are having trouble with. Regardless as Sid and Luckers indicacted it unfortunately is all too rooted in reality. The issues are plain to see and very real. Posted this in another thread but BS himself said in regards to Mat...

BS

I didn't understand Mat. I tried so hard to make him funny, I wrote the HIM out of him".

As for Cads she would have been sickened at any AS who would have to resort to the power in that situation. Not to mention the lowest common denominator plot work that had the entire episode take all of a paragraph. In one sentence she goes from cooly asking him a question to lashing out with the power. Just terribly blunt writing.

Hmmm... its a context thing I see. Rereading my post, I sound much more serious than I intended as well. I actually found Sids comment funny (if a little annoying)... and I took it for exaggeration as well. It was the supportive comments as if it were gospel truth (and no joking involved) I disagreed with. I was done, and it probably wasnt worth commenting on. Mea culpa.

It was you who basically said that Cadsuane lifting Tam with the power was fictional character assassination, and implied that based on that failure BS would gleefully write a scene where Cadsuane tried to kill Mat with the power, or spank him with the One Power, or turn him into a newt, or whatever . Thats where I took exception. Even taken at face value, Its not even in the same ballpark. Sanderson wrote a controlled, disciplined Cadsuane who didnt use the power in that way in the other chapters. Try reading those... they aren't that bad, I swear.

And you are missing that in many ways I agree with you concerning Cad/Tam and Mat the Fool, as I stated in my post. We really arent that far off, but use some persepective.

You don't need to be so vehement in protecting Cadsuane, suttree, I get it. I am pretty sure the old gal can take care herself. :rolleyes:

It was you who basically said that Cadsuane lifting Tam with the power was fictional character assassination, and implied that based on that failure BS would gleefully write a scene where Cadsuane tried to kill Mat with the power, or spank him with the One Power, or turn him into a newt, or whatever . Thats where I took exception.

Not sure why you took exception as I did nothing of the sort. All I did was lament the way she has been handled and call out that Sid's joke is rooted in reality for all that is an exageration. I have no idea why you would think my statement would cast the above aspirations on Brandon(although he is on record saying his bias may have skewed how he handled her character). To be clear I thought it was obvious what Sid's intention was, along with my own and was surprised to see someone seriously objecting(which you have now clarified). No one thinks Brandon would actually write that let alone take joy in it.

Lastly I am far from Cads most vigorous defender, Luckers has been much more outspoken then myself, as well as Linda at 13th depository. They have both written extremely detailed analyis on the character. I just get frustrated when people misread her so badly. It's like they skip right past her swearing to do what is best for Rand, not herself or the WT and solely focus on "but she was a big meanie to the DR!!!!".

ENOUGH with Cads and mat !!!!

this thread is abount the minor char and their interaction.

i created this thread becouse i believe that a good story need intersting background and a major part of the background is the minor chars that give life to a world.

the more minor char and the more side stories/issue that connected to them WITHOUT being connected to the main story make a more live world.

so please stick to the spirit of the thread

thanks !

It was you who basically said that Cadsuane lifting Tam with the power was fictional character assassination, and implied that based on that failure BS would gleefully write a scene where Cadsuane tried to kill Mat with the power, or spank him with the One Power, or turn him into a newt, or whatever . Thats where I took exception.

Not sure why you took exception as I did nothing of the sort. All I did was lament the way she has been handled and call out that Sid's joke is rooted in reality for all that is an exageration. I have no idea why you would think my statement would cast the above aspirations on Brandon(although he is on record saying his bias may have skewed how he handled her character). To be clear I thought it was obvious what Sid's intention was, along with my own and was surprised to see someone seriously objecting(which you have now clarified). No one thinks Brandon would actually write that let alone take joy in it.

Lastly I am far from Cads most vigorous defender, Luckers has been much more outspoken then myself, as well as Linda at 13th depository. They have both written extremely detailed analyis on the character. I just get frustrated when people misread her so badly. It's like they skip right past her swearing to do what is best for Rand, not herself or the WT and solely focus on "but she was a big meanie to the DR!!!!".

I took your comments as "its funny because its true", and that why I responded. You meant it different than I read it, Thanks for clarifying.

As far as Cads goes, I am well aware of Linda and Lucker's analysis, and I am very impressed. I would love to get into Cadsuane more sometime but this isnt the place (heck Cadsuane and Mat are NOT minor characters). In fact I agreed with you, on how Cadsuane and Mat are a non issue in terms of conflict... So.... what are we arguing about again?

You are right, Elrick, I will shut up now.

Ok, I didn't realize anyone would take my comment as seriously as they did. Though the extent of my exaggeration was absurd, the direction it took was still rooted in the reality of how the aforementioned characters have been handled in recent books. Like drawing a caricature of a caricature. I apologize for derailing the thread.

On topic portion of post:

Hartha and Elder Haman

and (not minor characters)

Rhuarc and Egwene sorting out a small matter of toh

( Damer -> i dont requested u to shot up, just to stay on topic or atleast close to it :) )

feel free to also rank the meating u like most

mine favs is:

Lan - Valen loca (the reason i actually startyed the thread, i can still imagive version of it in my head and how both Nyn and Loca will react :))) ).

Julin - Hurin

Basell Gil - Bran Al'ver

Hartha - Haman (altough i think Harthe and Loyal mom will be more interesting :)) )

and altough it not truely a minor new meeting -> Cads marring Tam -> becoming Rand Mom (and min /elain /avi mother in law ) it just so delightfully cruel :))))

( Damer -> i dont requested u to shot up, just to stay on topic or atleast close to it :) )

mine favs is:

Lan - Valen loca (the reason i actually startyed the thread, i can still imagive version of it in my head and how both Nyn and Loca will react :))) ).

Julin - Hurin

Basell Gil - Bran Al'ver

Hartha - Haman (altough i think Harthe and Loyal mom will be more interesting :)) )

and altough it not truely a minor new meeting -> Cads marring Tam -> becoming Rand Mom (and min /elain /avi mother in law ) it just so delightfully cruel :))))

mine favs is:

Julin - Hurin

Basell Gil - Bran Al'ver

Its all good, all the time... reminders to stay on track are never bad

I, too, pray for a Thief Taker/Thief Catcher meeting. I really don't know why, I heart me some Hurin. And Lan vs. Valan Luca would be ace... I would love to see the fear in Luca's eyes when he starts to flirt with Nynaeve and Lan takes umbrage....

There is a great joke about Cad+TAm some where on the threads, might even be this one: I win again, Lews Therin .... flicker

Am I the only one who want to see Juilin Sandar and Hurin meet? Think of the conversations they would have:

- discussing the subtle differences between thief catcher and thief taker

- complain about how their role in the books has diminished as time has gone on

- console each other about how poorly their were treated by the main characters

- compare the relative merits of sword breakers with 1 vs 3 notchs

Just this. Entire chapter devoted to the intricacies of this.

Archived