DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Darkhounds...Mr Shaidar Haran...and...Dreadlords...

The Fisher King

Darkhounds are cool and all, but there really isn't much I can think to do with them. I mean, they're big evil dogs that are super hard to kill, they're persistent, and they hate things. They don't really have any standoutish powers, do they?

Darkhounds are cool and all, but there really isn't much I can think to do with them. I mean, they're big evil dogs that are super hard to kill, they're persistent, and they hate things. They don't really have any standoutish powers, do they?

Imagine sending a pack of them straight at Lan's cavalry charge.

I think the darkhounds are great for countering Perrin's wolfpack. We should definitely see them come in to play hopefully. I also want to see some new things; we got a hell of a glimpse of what's in the Blight during tEotW and it would be great to see troops having to deal with things they haven't even heard rumors of. Trollocs, myrddraal, darkhounds and draghkar are all great and will be devestating, but let's see some worms ravaging troops, let's see some nightmares flooding the scenes; it's the Last Battle and time to pull out all the stops.

I think the darkhounds are great for countering Perrin's wolfpack. We should definitely see them come in to play hopefully. I also want to see some new things; we got a hell of a glimpse of what's in the Blight during tEotW and it would be great to see troops having to deal with things they haven't even heard rumors of. Trollocs, myrddraal, darkhounds and draghkar are all great and will be devestating, but let's see some worms ravaging troops, let's see some nightmares flooding the scenes; it's the Last Battle and time to pull out all the stops.

Question - not just for you Toots - how much of the war (the battles) do you think will be in the Blight? Right now, it seems like there's some big stuff going on in Caemlyn and to the West and South. All we have is Lan up in the Blight, at the moment. Obviously, that can change in a few pages. I'm just curious.

I hope the wolves have more to do than just killing Darkhounds. It seems that there are more DH's than the AS thought. Even so, if there are, let's say, 2000 DH, that should take around 20,000 wolves to kill them. There has to be 100s of 1000s of wolves, or do you think less?

That's one thing that hit me on the reread - the two biggest battles that Perrin has used the wolves in have been Dumai and the rescue of Faile. In Dumai we see them briefly in three scenes, I think. When Faile is rescued, we hear them howl once or twice and never see them. I would have loved to have seen some wolf wrought carnage.

Question - not just for you Toots - how much of the war (the battles) do you think will be in the Blight? Right now, it seems like there's some big stuff going on in Caemlyn and to the West and South. All we have is Lan up in the Blight, at the moment. Obviously, that can change in a few pages. I'm just curious.

I hope the wolves have more to do than just killing Darkhounds. It seems that there are more DH's than the AS thought. Even so, if there are, let's say, 2000 DH, that should take around 20,000 wolves to kill them. There has to be 100s of 1000s of wolves, or do you think less?

That's one thing that hit me on the reread - the two biggest battles that Perrin has used the wolves in have been Dumai and the rescue of Faile. In Dumai we see them briefly in three scenes, I think. When Faile is rescued, we hear them howl once or twice and never see them. I would have loved to have seen some wolf wrought carnage.

Agreed. I want more wolf carnage too. I don't think we'll see wolf on darkhound action though, don't the wolves avoid them? The darkhounds are near indestructible unless you are a well versed channeler I believe.

As far as fights in the Blight, you're probably right not so much. I feel like though that with the massive pov chapter that it will be glimpses of the LB all over Randland. I suppose we could see the borderlands getting flooded with all manner of creatures. Some borderland soldiers screaming "By the Light what are these beasts?" and then total mayhem.

Edit: I frankly want to see the forces of the Light in utter despair and on the brink of loss right before Rand saves the day.

Agreed. I want more wolf carnage too. I don't think we'll see wolf on darkhound action though, don't the wolves avoid them? The darkhounds are near indestructible unless you are a well versed channeler I believe.

As far as fights in the Blight, you're probably right not so much. I feel like though that with the massive pov chapter that it will be glimpses of the LB all over Randland. I suppose we could see the borderlands getting flooded with all manner of creatures. Some borderland soldiers screaming "By the Light what are these beasts?" and then total mayhem.

Edit: I frankly want to see the forces of the Light in utter despair and on the brink of loss right before Rand saves the day.

They do try to avoid them. When the DHs come around Perrin's camp when searching for Faile, he reaches out to them and they cut of contact with him when he asks about them. But, I distinctly remember them saying that it takes somewhere around 10-20 wolves to kill a DH, and I am fairly certain it's mentioned that they'll meet at the last battle. although, I may not be remembering that correctly - the meeting, i mean.

I think they'll be plenty of that - forces of light on the brink of loss. At least, in certain places. I think Mat will do pretty well with the Seanchan (I think, that's his place - could be wrong). But, Caemlyn's going to be ravaged, obviously. I think Tear, Illian and Cairhien should do all right - they have a ton of Aiel there and some channelers.

I'm wondering what the WT's army will do? They have a waygate at the Tower. Unless I've missed something, or it's in the final two books before this last one), it hasn't been closed. I know they've been at war with themselves, but that's a huge oversight.

There's a prologue or epilogue where the writer is said to be from Greater Tar Valon, or something like that. I think it's going to be shredded and rebuilt after the LB.

They do try to avoid them. When the DHs come around Perrin's camp when searching for Faile, he reaches out to them and they cut of contact with him when he asks about them. But, I distinctly remember them saying that it takes somewhere around 10-20 wolves to kill a DH, and I am fairly certain it's mentioned that they'll meet at the last battle. although, I may not be remembering that correctly - the meeting, i mean.

I think they'll be plenty of that - forces of light on the brink of loss. At least, in certain places. I think Mat will do pretty well with the Seanchan (I think, that's his place - could be wrong). But, Caemlyn's going to be ravaged, obviously. I think Tear, Illian and Cairhien should do all right - they have a ton of Aiel there and some channelers.

I'm wondering what the WT's army will do? They have a waygate at the Tower. Unless I've missed something, or it's in the final two books before this last one), it hasn't been closed. I know they've been at war with themselves, but that's a huge oversight.

There's a prologue or epilogue where the writer is said to be from Greater Tar Valon, or something like that. I thinecok it's going to be shredded and rebuilt after the LB.

I don't think that there will be another raid or attack on the WT from the Seanchan; well, not one that actually gets completed. I like the idea that they may go to attack again, and then with your mention of the waygate, shadowspawn may flood the WT, even if I can't reason out the specifics of how the AS and warders don't notice it, maybe under the distress of the Seanchan coming?

Then the Seanchan have to fight off the shadowspawn as well, and inadvertantly become allies to the AS, perhaps due to some Samma N'Sei attacking as well? I feel like if this goes down then Mat will be there as well, mostly to get the horn but then he will talk some sense in to the Seanchan as well. Hard to say, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see it play out something along these lines.

I think most of the battles will take place outside of the Blight. I think part of Demandred's machinations is placing forces well inside Randland (through the use of Portal Stones). There are the forces in Caemlyn, the BT, and the hordes that have already swept past (at least parts) of the Borderlands as well. I think having such a great host at FOM will come in handy--much of AMOL will be spent using FOM as a central staging ground for the forces of Light and deploying and redeploying troops as needed via gateway in response to massive and unexpected attacks all over the place.

There's a prologue or epilogue where the writer is said to be from Greater Tar Valon, or something like that. I thinecok it's going to be shredded and rebuilt after the LB.

I don't think that there will be another raid or attack on the WT from the Seanchan; well, not one that actually gets completed. I like the idea that they may go to attack again, and then with your mention of the waygate, shadowspawn may flood the WT, even if I can't reason out the specifics of how the AS and warders don't notice it, maybe under the distress of the Seanchan coming?

Then the Seanchan have to fight off the shadowspawn as well, and inadvertantly become allies to the AS, perhaps due to some Samma N'Sei attacking as well? I feel like if this goes down then Mat will be there as well, mostly to get the horn but then he will talk some sense in to the Seanchan as well. Hard to say, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see it play out something along these lines.

I totally forgot about the horn.... thanks! So, here's the thing, when Mat died, did his connection to the Horn get severed for good, or did the balefiring of Rahvin fix that? If it was for good, we may see Egwene blowing the Horn of Valere. Alternatively, maybe the horn isn't used at all....?

I think most of the battles will take place outside of the Blight. I think part of Demandred's machinations is placing forces well inside Randland (through the use of Portal Stones). There are the forces in Caemlyn, the BT, and the hordes that have already swept past (at least parts) of the Borderlands as well. I think having such a great host at FOM will come in handy--much of AMOL will be spent using FOM as a central staging ground for the forces of Light and deploying and redeploying troops as needed via gateway in response to massive and unexpected attacks all over the place.

You're probably right, and it's a great thought - exciting! It's like staging special ops attacks all over Randland.

What I want to see is some human misery. If it's going to be the LB, I want to see how the people stuck at their homes are going to deal. If you're not a soldier or channeler, you're basically food. Pretty horrible, really.

Two other things I'd like to see - A bit of the Two Rivers AND the Ogier. They better come in kicking some ass.

I believe Mat had a message for Egwene that she has something that belongs to him, which I would assume is the horn. I don't see anyone but him using it, to me it just ties in far too well with his Seanchan connection and Hawkwing showing up when the horn is called. I don't think his connection to the horn is severed, but given that anybody who knows he blew it will assume he is connected to it, he gets it by default, and will blow it again.

I hope to see it again and I'm sure we will, even if it is a little Aragorny Return of the Kingish.

I believe Mat had a message for Egwene that she has something that belongs to him, which I would assume is the horn. I don't see anyone but him using it, to me it just ties in far too well with his Seanchan connection and Hawkwing showing up when the horn is called. I don't think his connection to the horn is severed, but given that anybody who knows he blew it will assume he is connected to it, he gets it by default, and will blow it again.

I hope to see it again and I'm sure we will, even if it is a little Aragorny Return of the Kingish.

Lol @ Aragorny. :D

Yeah, I'd like to see it, too. I wonder if the Heroes can eventually be overwhelmed in battle...

Lol @ Aragorny. :D

Yeah, I'd like to see it, too. I wonder if the Heroes can eventually be overwhelmed in battle...

A lot of spirit channeled at them?

Its interesting how it may play out. We have Hawkwing like I mentioned maybe playing in to it; what may be up with Birgitte; IF it serves any of the prophecies; quite a few possibilities with no gaurantees.

The T-1000 Darkhounds Rand faced in book 5 were DEATH. He could not damage them at all and had to use balefire.

I would have loved to see one of those facing off against a gholam.

Would the acid impact the gholam? The gholam can't permanently damage the T-1000 darkhound since it just reforms...Either way, it would be a very long battle.

I think someone like the current Fain would destroy both the gholam and T-1000, just take their life essence.

What if Mat blows the horn after Rand's death, and instead of heroes we get all our missing darkhounds, grey men and other baddies coming out of the mist?

That would be a nice 'we're screwed' moment.

More seriously, I can't imagine darkhounds playing much more of a role other than a breif line about how they're dueling with Perrin's wolves. Dreadlords should have more of a role I think. The problem with darkhounds is that pretty much all the major players can dispatch them easily at this point. (Plus, Mat has his luck and Perrin his hammer and TAR powers, so even they'd be able to outdo darkhounds.)

Archived