DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene will die

Daniel Hill

I'm still new here, but I've lurked on and off for years, and I've noticed Egwene-hate runs pretty strong in a lot of people here.

At the risk of digressing from the topic - why is that? She's always been one of my favorite characters, and even if I don't necessarily agree with everything she does, I still think she's quite likable, and, at the very least, makes for a good read. It's not like she's completely insufferable like Faile/Elayne/95% of Perrin ever.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still new here, but I've lurked on and off for years, and I've noticed Egwene-hate runs pretty strong in a lot of people here.

At the risk of digressing from the topic - why is that? She's always been one of my favorite characters, and even if I don't necessarily agree with everything she does, I still think she's quite likable, and, at the very least, makes for a good read. It's not like she's completely insufferable like Faile/Elayne/95% of Perrin ever.

STOOOOOP!!

Here you go:

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/68323-what-is-the-deal-with-the-egwene-hate/

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/70480-egwene-appreciation-thread/

Have fun buddy...

STOOOOOP!!

Here you go:

http://www.dragonmou...he-egwene-hate/

http://www.dragonmou...ciation-thread/

Have fun buddy...

Soooo... poorly-justified, thinly-veiled fear of a legitimately strong female leader?

STOOOOOP!!

Here you go:

http://www.dragonmou...he-egwene-hate/

http://www.dragonmou...ciation-thread/

Have fun buddy...

Soooo... poorly-justified, thinly-veiled fear of a legitimately strong female leader?

Depends on who you ask. Ardent supporters of Egwene will occasionally say that is the reason. And then Egwene haters will claim that is an unfair assumption on their part and that there are perfectly legitimate reasons to dislike and even hate Egwene. The problem is that extreme haters sometimes compare her to people like the Forsaken, which as you'd expect, really pisses off the Egwene lovers who then claim that the reason for Egwene hate is, as you stated, poorly-justified, thinly-veiled fear of a legitimately strong female leader. There are good arguments, both ways, if you look long and hard enough, you just have to be willing to sift through a fair amount of bias and subjectivity, again on both sides. And at the end of it all you'll probably be nursing a headache and have an irrational fear of posts similar to your first one.

Because people forget that their opinions are just that. Opinions. And that everyone has their own. Or maybe they remember and just enjoy the fray :P

It's the joy and the bane of a book series with soooooo many characters. Almost everyone has a few they love and a few they hate. Beware when a handful of people realize that they all hate the same character(s). That's when it starts getting serious :D

Depends on who you ask. Ardent supporters of Egwene will occasionally say that is the reason. And then Egwene haters will claim that is an unfair assumption on their part and that there are perfectly legitimate reasons to dislike and even hate Egwene. The problem is that extreme haters sometimes compare her to people like the Forsaken, which as you'd expect, really pisses off the Egwene lovers who then claim that the reason for Egwene hate is, as you stated, poorly-justified, thinly-veiled fear of a legitimately strong female leader. There are good arguments, both ways, if you look long and hard enough, you just have to be willing to sift through a fair amount of bias and subjectivity, again on both sides. And at the end of it all you'll probably be nursing a headache and have an irrational fear of posts similar to your first one.

hi, new here i think. (swore i had accnt in ToM) anyway, this statement is the most true. I think people will either like or dislike her correlating to their own methods of getting things done. Meaning does their personality justify the means or is the means an end to itself? While I do think the world needs both to get things done sometimes, i do not have to like how some people do it. For the most part i dislike Egg-head because of how she treats her friends, often times doing pretty doing horrendous things or thinking lowly of them. I see Eg as a younger Cadsuane. If she does survive LB, i think Gaywain will eventually divorce her.

...And at the end of it all you'll probably be nursing a headache and have an irrational fear of posts similar to your first one.

Yeah, as I was typing that I felt like I was opening up a rancid can of worms. And that's no good, so I'll just drop it.

I mean, I wouldn't want to draw the ire of a bunch of chauvinistic dinosaurs or anything :wub:

You see her as someone who has sworn to do what is best for Rand not herself or the WT?

Haha...oh dear no. I see her as someone who has sworn to do what she thinks is best for Rand and the WT.

If both Gawn and Egwene did manage to survive, there's no way he'd leave her. In case you haven't noticed, he's completely obsessed with her.

Yeah, so was I with my first GF too. called a Honeymoon period.

Egwene's going to live. She's RJ's pet character and has been hyped up as the best Amyrlin ever since the very first book. There's the chance that Gawyn might die due to the potential for a prophecy twist but I find it unlikely. Robert Jordan has never been good at killing off even secondary characters, so I'm fully expecting most of the cast to live through the last book.

You see her as someone who has sworn to do what is best for Rand not herself or the WT?

Haha...oh dear no. I see her as someone who has sworn to do what she thinks is best for Rand and the WT.

Because as we know about Cads...

TPoD

Oh, yes. Whatever I do, it will be for your own good; not mine, not the good of the White Tower, yours.

The problem with Egwene is that she won't always do what's best for Rand as a person. She's an independent, free-thinking woman, and unlike Cadsuane, she doesn't have an oath to a man to keep her womanly emotions and whims in check. She's dangerous.

Archived