DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Kin's FOOTBALL THREAD!

U4ea

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for your loss, UGA fans... you have one of the few SEC teams I'll root for (though I'll root for all of you if you ever play Oregon!).

So for Oregon State, we finally got back into the AP top 10 only to hear our starting QB required knee surgery. The good news is that he had the surgery today, and it was arthroscopic and needed no sutures, and so he is WEEK-TO-WEEK rather than back next year! Typically this type of meniscus surgery is a 2-3 week recovery. The other good news is that for some crazy reason, this is the one time that we actually scheduled a non-conference game in October, so our backup doesn't have to worry about our conference standings. And, this is also a backup who was almost our starter last year... he is more than capable.

So yeah... we've had a bit of a emotional roller coaster lately.

A year after going 3-9, following a conference player-of-the-week performance by the backup QB (starter had slight meniscus tear surgery a week ago and is already set to be the backup this weekend), my 5-0 Beavers are the #8 BCS team! If the biased human pollsters were knocked out (i.e., preseason misconceptions gone), they would also be ahead of Oregon.

The best part: my 4-month-old is going to his first game on Saturday! If we win, he'll be there for our first 6-0 start since 1907. Last time 5-0? 1939.

A year after going 3-9, following a conference player-of-the-week performance by the backup QB (starter had slight meniscus tear surgery a week ago and is already set to be the backup this weekend), my 5-0 Beavers are the #8 BCS team! If the biased human pollsters were knocked out (i.e., preseason misconceptions gone), they would also be ahead of Oregon.

The best part: my 4-month-old is going to his first game on Saturday! If we win, he'll be there for our first 6-0 start since 1907. Last time 5-0? 1939.

Just a thought, will your little one be able to handle the crowd noise? We took ours when they were babies and the oldest did not like the noise and cried.

He slept for all but 5 seconds of the game! He flinched sometimes when I yelled (I yell on most defensive downs). In the 3rd or 4th quarter he cried for five seconds before falling back to sleep. I wore him on a carrier the entire game, and we didn't fold it down, so it helped create a some protection from sound waves, and I covered his ears before the game when we were in front of the band during a pre-game performance, and when it started to rain, a towel on top helped even more.

And (almost) equally awesome, we are now 6-0 for the first time since 1907, #7 in the BCS, and Oregon fell a spot in the BCS to #4!

lol, almost equally awesome?

I'm glad he slept! It's amazing how much white noise they get used to, isn't it? Peanut fell asleep in the middle of the St. Patty's Day Parade when she was about 8 months old! lol marching bands, pirates firing cannons... doesn't matter to her!

I also wonder if our home environment helps-- we have made a point to make zero noise reduction during his naps. We know people who have to whisper on the phone while theirs is sleeping, and we wanted to avoid that, so we have tried to make him used to noise by not turning down the TV, lowering our voices, etc.

That's probably exactly why, actually. We've done the same things around our house. The only concession we make is sudden loud noises (garbage disposals, slamming doors, etc). Our girls are OUT once they get to sleep! :)

My oldest son spent 4 weeks in the neonatal intensive care unit. Lights were on all the time, the nurse liked the radio, alarms were going off etc. they told us to leave a light on and the radio when he came home. It worked like a charm. Seven years later I had another premature son in a different hospital. Things had changed and the environment was much quieter.

I'm glad you and your son had a great time!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived