DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Olver

matisawesome

it's kinda related to tge mat dicussion just wanted a seperate thread to dicuss it in. Does anyone think olver is Gaidal cause he's called homely birgette thinks he's super cute and he's related to the ToM alot which birgette said she and gaidal went in

It's a common thought newer members have. We have confirmation that Olver is not Gaidal from RJ however. In addition the timing doesn't work, if you line up when Gaidal disappeared from Tar Olver is far too old.

Gaidal is more than likely the son of the Ashaman with Perrin, that even as the kids father thinks hes horrifically ugly. Plus the time line fits better with a baby than with Olver who is much to old once Gaidal disappeared.

Remember after TG there need to be heroes to make new stories and help the world settle after this.

Gaidal is more than likely the son of the Ashaman with Perrin, that even as the kids father thinks hes horrifically ugly. Plus the time line fits better with a baby than with Olver who is much to old once Gaidal disappeared.

Remember after TG there need to be heroes to make new stories and help the world settle after this.

I think the timing is wrong with this one as well.

Gaidal was spun out sometime between TSR ch 52 and TPoH ch 14. That means that, at the "present" in the books (the end of ToM) he is approximately 12-18 months old.

Jur and Sora Grady's son was about four years old the first time we see him in LoC chapter 3. He is definitely not Gaidal Cain.

I would bet a large amount of money that we have not seen The Gaidal Reborn yet, and a somewhat smaller amount that we will not see him at any point in the series.

could be indeed, but a baby is much more likely than a 8 year old. (though i have my doubts on this as well)

As much as this is interesting i wish RJ would have never mentioned Gaidal disappearing from TAR. Its going to have zero impact in the story and will most likely just be a lose end that never gets tied up

Jur and Sora Grady's son was about four years old the first time we see him in LoC chapter 3. He is definitely not Gaidal Cain.

ah maybe i misread the book then, i was under the impression that the kid was still an infant, didnt realize he was 4

could be indeed, but a baby is much more likely than a 8 year old. (though i have my doubts on this as well)

As much as this is interesting i wish RJ would have never mentioned Gaidal disappearing from TAR. Its going to have zero impact in the story and will most likely just be a lose end that never gets tied up

ah maybe i misread the book then, i was under the impression that the kid was still an infant, didnt realize he was 4

This will be Bridget's ending in some way. She will either die and be with him or she will find his baby form. And if we never had Gaidal we would have no "Precepts" to talk of, and that is some of may favorite stuff :P

I have obviously thought of this so don't get so stirred up but time works weird in the dream world anyway when did you get confirmation from RJ

Don't worry mat, we see people thinking it all the time on the forums. It is a very common thought.

Interview: Jan 16th, 2003

COT Signing Report - Tim Kington (Paraphrased)

Question

Is Olver Gaidal Cain?

Robert Jordan

No. I didn't really think that this would last as long as it has. The timing is wrong. He has another reason for being there besides being a red herring, though.

QUESTION

He's too old.

ROBERT JORDAN

Yes. Time in Tel'aran'rhiod and the real world run at different rates, but it never runs backwards. You may spend an hour in Tel'aran'rhiod, and a day has passed when you get back, or you may spend a day, and an hour has passed when you get back, but you'll never go in on Tuesday and come back on Monday.

QUESTION

Is the difference in time constant?

ROBERT JORDAN

No. It's fairly random. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes the same as real time.

QUESTION

It's different for different people, then?

I have obviously thought of this so don't get so stirred up but time works weird in the dream world anyway when did you get confirmation from RJ

But what ever suggested time works backwards?

Like, it's not as if we saw Lews Therin still running around TAR despite already being reborn. Or Birgitte wondering what Elayne means about her having been ripped out of the dream last week.

Not that it wouldn't have been cool, seeing a character sitting down for a long discussion with their gestalt soul, but nothing ever suggested it.

Just saying it's almost as crazy as some of the wonky theories I've had, close to almost anyway.

Considering people unfamiliar to the interviews with RJ and Brandon almost always ask this question 5 times a day, it is a common theory. I am with Suttree, I wouldn't worry about feeling silly. Along with Taim=Demandred, it is the biggest debunked theory that comes up regularly.

However, I do agree with Zorlon, I am not sure why so many people come to the conclusion. Yes, he is ugly and all, but he is 8, alive when Gaidal was still in TAR. Time is different, but you can't be two places at once.

Other common theories/ questions that are answered or debunked:

Taim is NOT Demandred.

Graendal killed Asmodean.

We have NOT seen Demandred's alter-ego (if he has one) on screen as of tGS. (No answer about ToM) So he is not a Borderland monarch, Lunal Galgan, Bashere, Taim, Egwene or Olver.

Cyndane - Lanfear; Osan'gar/Dashiva - Aginor; Aran'gar/Halima - Balthamael; Moridin - Ishamael.

Slayer - Luc (Rand's uncle) combined with Isam (Lan's cousin)

Min's ability have no connection with the Aelfinn ability.

To heal stilling back to full strength, the opposite sex must heal you.

Oath Rod is the reason AS lives are reduced, also causes the ageless face. (pretty much implied in the books, but confirmed by RJ)

Fain will not end up like Gollum in the final book. (Brandon want's to distance Fain from Gollum)

Fain will not end up like Gollum in the final book. (Brandon want's to distance Fain from Gollum)

I don't know. Brandon said "he is not going to be like that", meaning he probably understood the question to mean "the way Gollum is" rather than "the function Gollum served in the LotR". I wouldn't lose hope of Fain's being instrumental in the defeat of the DO (although, thinking about it, he already has, so the parallel might end there).

I don't know. Brandon said "he is not going to be like that", meaning he probably understood the question to mean "the way Gollum is" rather than "the function Gollum served in the LotR". I wouldn't lose hope of Fain's being instrumental in the defeat of the DO (although, thinking about it, he already has, so the parallel might end there).

Hmmm, a fair point. I was mainly thinking about the whole "Fain's insane devotion drives him to accidentally destroy the DO". (like Gollum accidentally falling over and destroying the ring)

I think that there is still a great possibility that Fain will be involved with the sealing/subduction of the DO. I didn't mean to imply that he wouldn't.

Oh, also another one frequently asked/speculated.

Thom cannot channel.

Considering people unfamiliar to the interviews with RJ and Brandon almost always ask this question 5 times a day, it is a common theory. I am with Suttree, I wouldn't worry about feeling silly. Along with Taim=Demandred, it is the biggest debunked theory that comes up regularly.

However, I do agree with Zorlon, I am not sure why so many people come to the conclusion. Yes, he is ugly and all, but he is 8, alive when Gaidal was still in TAR. Time is different, but you can't be two places at once.

Other common theories/ questions that are answered or debunked:

Taim is NOT Demandred.

Graendal killed Asmodean.

We have NOT seen Demandred's alter-ego (if he has one) on screen as of tGS. (No answer about ToM) So he is not a Borderland monarch, Lunal Galgan, Bashere, Taim, Egwene or Olver.

Cyndane - Lanfear; Osan'gar/Dashiva - Aginor; Aran'gar/Halima - Balthamael; Moridin - Ishamael.

Slayer - Luc (Rand's uncle) combined with Isam (Lan's cousin)

Min's ability have no connection with the Aelfinn ability.

To heal stilling back to full strength, the opposite sex must heal you.

Oath Rod is the reason AS lives are reduced, also causes the ageless face. (pretty much implied in the books, but confirmed by RJ)

Perhaps we need all those, and the one about Thom not being a channeller, in a sticky at the top of the board! :wink:

Well, we have RJ saying Olver has a purpose besides being a red herring.

Not sure what it is. I would think it was his role in helping Mat with the ToG etc.. but I suspect he has another purpose in the final book. I would say he will die, the effects on Mat will be important (not sure in what way). Or he helps out Talmanes, in Caemlyn somehow, by being like Mat. (although I don't like the idea, he is a kid, what can he do against Shadowspawn?)

I know I said this earlier with a funny ending, but he actually has already done quite a bit:

He went missing in Ebou Dar, causing Mat to miss the train out of town, so to speak, and meet his future wife.

He bugged Birgitte for stories, and find out how to get into the Tower of Ghenjei.

He opened a letter he wasn't supposed to, and let Talmanes know about the attack on Caemlyn.

Maybe he does have some further purpose in the last book, but I don't think that he has to in order to justify RJ's "not a red herring" statement. He's already been pivotal to several major plot points.

Archived