DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

2012 Olympics

SBoydW

Not particularly interested

The only thing I happened to watch was a game of womens water polo between the USA and Spain

I'm no expert on water polo rules but to me it looked like Spain was playing a dirty game

I swear I saw one chick trying to drown someone at some point

I'm following the tennis and women's team handball. I suddenly had to follow the epee, because a Norwegian guy did well and got to the final. Sadly, just a silver. I try to follow the events that have Norwegians competing, but I won't be following the racewalk. The Norwegian contestant tested positive for doping two years ago, yet for some reason was allowed to compete. Shameful.

I will obviously follow the main track and field events. Big hopes for the 100 m.

I follow Swimming closely, and pretty much everything else I can get access to I at least have a glance at. As I am an ex-swimmer and an American, this is probably not a surprise. :D

Water polo is fairly violent. Basically, refs only call what goes on above water. What happens underwater is pretty much fair game. Part of that has to do with the way the waves on the surface wreak havoc with what you actually see from above. A part of me wishes they would install a couple of underwater cameras to forestall at least some of the worst of it and devote a ref full time to just underwater action. I've heard credible stories of men coming out of a match with a damaged testicle, and there is a legend/story about a Hungary/Soviet Union match some decades ago that was so violent the participants were bleeding freely.

Water polo is extremely vicious, I never knew it was so bad, people getting mugged left and right out there. I generally watch pretty much every bit of Olympic coverage that I can get =) The U.S. mens Gymnastics team just fell apart after that first day =(

What I've really been into this year has been the volleyball(inddor and beach), there have been some really good matches going on.

vollyball is the only thing im RELLY into, track and field is boring to me, swimming would have been more fun if phelps wasent pretty much garenteed to wine everything he enterd. kinda like the yankees, hard to root for the ones that ALWAYS win

He actually came in 2nd twice, and 4th once. So he technically didn't win everything. :p.

I assume you're talking about the US Womens vs Canada Womens soccer right? That was such a great finish, and a great game overall. And that header that Wambach had just a few minutes before the final goal that went right off the crossbar, man I would've died if that went in.

yeah. Japan and France wasn't too bad either; I feel for the French girl who shanked her penalty that would have tied the match. But that about 15 minute span in the second half with 5 goals scored in USA-Canada was amazing. A shame that all most folks will talk about is the refereeing, as it was a really good match to watch otherwise.

• Community Administrator

To be fair, baseball takes forever. And practically ever country would have a team. Also on American football or rugby.

Oh god... Theyd' have to start the baseball olympics tourneyment something like 3 years ago, just to be able to finish it by next summer. :dry:

That and there wouldn't be any "stars" in the baseball games. All the big names play in MLB and they're season is getting into the pennant races right around when the Olympics are going on. I seriously doubt that the owners and commissioner would agree to a second break in the season.

re: baseball - more nations play soccer than play baseball and yet it works ok. And unlike soccer, baseball players can play every day, outside of the starting pitchers. Baseball, though, is more of a western hemisphere and eastern Asia thing, not quite a global phenomenon, and softball was so totally dominated by the American women that I think people thought it didn't have a wide enough global appeal. America and Canada are the only nations playing American-style football more than as a curiosity so there is no point in having it at the Olympics. Rugby has a near world-wide following, so that might be worth bringing in. There are other sports that I'm not sure why they are there, but then I'm not exactly a global follower of anything other than soccer and swimming.

And with baseball, there is the issue that only college players and non-MLB pros could compete.

Re: the ceremonies, NBC butchers their coverage of such things so badly I no longer have any desire to watch them. Maybe if I can get a BBC replay of them or something...one thing on my bucket list is to see the opening and closing ceremonies of an Olympics in person. I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford it, but I'd love to just enjoy the scene without having it interrupted every few seconds with what is supposed to be clever repartee.

this is the first time in a long time they havent had baseball. if i remember right quba wone last olympics.

as for the ceremonies, i missed the openning, but the closing was boring. reminded me of the last cuple supperbowl havetimes, wich also put me to sleep. i stopped watching about 1/2 way through and just started playing xbox

Archived