DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thom's special daggers at Whitebridge

bigdoug1971

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/main/errata.html

eWoT has a conclusive page on all errors and misprints in the books.

In version 1, Thom used his best knives in Shadar Logoth and his blue knives in Whitebridge.

In version 2, Thom used his second-best knives in SL and his blue (best) knives in WB.

I thought that was the end of the story, but this thread and the theoryland quotes bring up really interesting points. On my first readthrough, I assumed Thom was a darkfriend and the fade let him live because of that. (seriously, how does a bloodthirsty, sword-flailing halfman manage to cripple him rather than killing him?) Eventually, I accepted that he walks in the light and he's friggin' awesome. I suppose those knives must've really been some sort of ter'angreal (SHOCKLANCE!) along the lines of Mah'Alleinir.

http://encyclopaedia...ain/errata.html

eWoT has a conclusive page on all errors and misprints in the books.

In version 1, Thom used his best knives in Shadar Logoth and his blue knives in Whitebridge.

In version 2, Thom used his second-best knives in SL and his blue (best) knives in WB.

I thought that was the end of the story, but this thread and the theoryland quotes bring up really interesting points. On my first readthrough, I assumed Thom was a darkfriend and the fade let him live because of that. (seriously, how does a bloodthirsty, sword-flailing halfman manage to cripple him rather than killing him?) Eventually, I accepted that he walks in the light and he's friggin' awesome. I suppose those knives must've really been some sort of ter'angreal (SHOCKLANCE!) along the lines of Mah'Alleinir.

Awesome, thanks for the link!

And I always assumed shocklances were some kind of rifle, but I guess it makes sense that they would be ter'angreal considering the AoL was power-centric.

I thought shocklances were electric battle prods' they are lances that shock you...

Logically dissecting the name that makes sense, but logically thinking about a technologically advanced battle that seems incredibly inefficient. It's like light sabers... It's just a stupid concept that just makes no sense (I'm not directing that at you, but at Robert Jordan), and I HOPE RJ wouldn't have put such an off the wall ridiculous detail into these books. The world is too well thought-out for that in my opinion.

Plus, Coumin killed himself with one in a flashback, and it seems that if it was a cattle prod on steroids he could have come up with a better way to do it...like a knife.

I thought shocklances were electric battle prods' they are lances that shock you...

Logically dissecting the name that makes sense, but logically thinking about a technologically advanced battle that seems incredibly inefficient. It's like light sabers... It's just a stupid concept that just makes no sense (I'm not directing that at you, but at Robert Jordan), and I HOPE RJ wouldn't have put such an off the wall ridiculous detail into these books. The world is too well thought-out for that in my opinion.

Plus, Coumin killed himself with one in a flashback, and it seems that if it was a cattle prod on steroids he could have come up with a better way to do it...like a knife.

We see the pistol version of a shocklance used in Knife of Dreams when Asne stuns Elayne with it. It is highly effective, allowing you to stun or kill multiple targets with a single shot.

How'd you come up with that Luckers? You probably have quotes & stuff but what I remember is that fiery sparks flared about Elayne & co. rendering them insensible/incapable for long enough that shields could be placed on them. Or maybe we're thinking of different parts (I'm thinking of house on Blue Moon street where Elayne gets captured while attempting to capture the Blacks in Caemlyn.

I've always imagined that Shocklances were like lances that spat a beam/pulse. And that they were called that because when they were invented they were such a shocking weapon. Men tend to name things as per how they behave or sound (think cars: muffler, tappity, pinging, cylinders etc.). A shocking weapon that looks like a lance.

How'd you come up with that Luckers? You probably have quotes & stuff but what I remember is that fiery sparks flared about Elayne & co. rendering them insensible/incapable for long enough that shields could be placed on them. Or maybe we're thinking of different parts (I'm thinking of house on Blue Moon street where Elayne gets captured while attempting to capture the Blacks in Caemlyn.

I've always imagined that Shocklances were like lances that spat a beam/pulse. And that they were called that because when they were invented they were such a shocking weapon. Men tend to name things as per how they behave or sound (think cars: muffler, tappity, pinging, cylinders etc.). A shocking weapon that looks like a lance.

This "pistol" version of a shocklance is a distance weapon that can be used to stun or kill...

KoD

“Why did you wait so long?” Asne demanded of Falion and Marillin. The Saldaean’s dark tilted eyes were angry. “I used this so they wouldn’t feel us embrace saidar. but why did you just stand there?” She waved a small, bent black rod, perhaps an inch in diameter, that had a strangely dull look. The thing seemed to fascinate her. “A ‘gift’ from Moghedien. A weapon from the Age of Legends. I can kill a man at a hundred paces with this, or just stun him if I want to put him to the question.

I believe they are power wrought weapons. The same thing that happens at WB happens at jangai pass in TFH when Mat battles the fade with his spear from rhuidean. In the chapter Birdcalls by Night. I happen to be doing a re read and saw that at about the time I got on the forum today. I have never been a member just a looker so this is my first post! I am aware it is prob not to impressive for you masters but just wanted to comment on this thread. Cheers!

Do we know that is a shocklance and not another AoL weapon?

QUESTION

Was the gizmo used to capture Elayne a shocklance?

ROBERT JORDAN

It was a variation. A shocklance is more like a rifle, and this was more like a pistol.

Nice one!

Although I like the idea of 100000 soldiers running at each other with lances that shock, saying, LOOK HOW ADVANCED WE ARE, WE TOOK A STICK, AND ADDED SHOCKERS!

But hmm, a shock pistol.

Archived