DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Bloody Kiwis!

Roxinos

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has its moments. Of course, then I shuffle my naked ass inside and stop flicking off the neighbor's kids.

Well that's a mental image I did not care for.

Still, your presence is not as horrible as some others. Here's 50 points... for old times sake.

Nyn

Who knows what I sound like (a british kiwi I would say is closest) But I do feel the need to defend the kiwi accent from the aussies. It's less crass and far stranger

Hahahahahahahahaha!

I'm sorry, but Fush and Chups? Seriously kiwis. Anyway, only the very bogan Aussies sound 'crass'. But yeah, the base Kiwi accent is very noticable. And very different from any Bogan Aussie's. But anyway, you American's really do sound pretty much the same as Canadians. Very... uh nasal if I remember correctly.

Ha! oops, I should have probably joined this ORG before posting.... ah well. Nyn, that's a wookie. Wookies are awesome, fullstop. If you're not just adminning the Artist's Mafia piano, then maybe I'll have to try and get you lynched. One less kiwi.... (jokes, no actual insult intended. or bias in the mafia game.) Nyn, you posted in my welcome thread, like a week ago. I guess you get a lot of very short lived forumers then, who don't make it past the intro. Anyway, better sign up.

You don't have to join a group to post in the public board. I was just wondering if I got so good at ignoring the fuls that I didn't notice you joined.

I know it's a Wookie. Seen Star Wars >.>

And yes, I don't usually see people I welcome again. Or perhaps it's just that I don't remember them xD

Nyn

Very... uh nasal if I remember correctly.

I really hope you're kidding. This thread of mine was a joke, of course, but saying "Americans sound like Canadians" is just ridiculous. It's ridiculous if you knew Canadians and it's ridiculous if you knew Americans. There are a lot of different accents in the US. Here's a lovely map of North America and the different accents therein. Pressing any of the flags will let you listen to what the speech sounds like:

http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_maps/namerica.php

I'm sorry, but Fush and Chups?

Huh, never heard a kiwi in mah life pronouce it thus...Crocodile Dundee would be closer to say it like that IMO :tongue::wink:

I agree about teh base kiwi accent tho. Just as noticeable as Aussies...but I do admit I've had a hard time telling them apart sometimes v.v

Very... uh nasal if I remember correctly.

*sniggers* yes, agreed :P

At least we write 'colour' right :tongue:

At least we write 'colour' right :tongue:

>.>

English spelling was not standardized for a long time. It wasn't until the 18th century or so that that changed with the advent of large, influential dictionaries -- in the US, Webster's and in Britain, Samuel Johnson's dictionary.

The specific spelling of the unstressed -our in Britain came about simply from the Norman conquest. Words in English were either spelled with -or or -ur until the Norman conquest when they were generally spelled -our.

What I'm getting at is that there are very few instances of "right" or "wrong" in language.

Of course, I'm really just bored and I know you were being silly. Haha. :-p

It's a rather general thing. What's referred to as an American accent here is a rather umbrella term for the northern accents, which I guess would be hard to distinguish for non Americans. Anyway, it makes sense that you sound similar, because you are as geographically close as Aus and NZ. Another valid point may be that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Nyanna: And honour as well, that annoys me when reading American authors.

Archived