DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Transcript of Chapter One Reading From ComicCon

Luckers

how exactly does wine spoil? Won' t it just become vinegar? and that can still be used. especially for cooking.

The wine can oxidize making it not fit for drinking nor cooking. It can also suffer from being in the light too much (hardly a problem in Rand land)!

Not oxidize. Poor storage conditions can dry out the cork and allow evaporation or bad temperatures or contaminants can turn wine to vinegar. It's the biggest risk when rich folk buy old bottles of wine. You'll either have 200 year old wine or the best vinegar.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I recall, when Rand and Perrin spoke in LoC it was very rushed since at the time Rand was obsessed with killing Sammael and was trying to convince Perrin to go to Tear for him. Rand was in the first stages of trying to be as hard as possible. There's also no real indication they had time to just sit around chatting at that time. Even if they did Perrin might not have mentioned that particular story. This is the first time they've had a chance to just talk in a very long time and the first time since Rand had his epiphany and learned laughter and tears again.

As far as the wine goes, he said few grapes in the current world could match the Age of Legends, not none could. So I don't see what the big deal is. Seems kinda silly to complain about.

Good wine was already next to impossible to find in recent books even with Mat's luck, so it stands to reason that they don't have a very good wine to swap tales over.

The corruption is a recent thing; Rand had plenty of good wines as recently as a few months ago, and being the most important person in the world, traveling through Tear and Cairhien and Caemlyn and all sorts of other places, he always gets the best wine. You can argue what exactly Brandon meant, but it does look like Lews Therin is disparaging Third Age vintages in general.

. . . but it does look like Lews Therin is disparaging Third Age vintages in general.

I actually was amused by that line at first reading because I've always imagined LTT being an elitist snoot on some level. :wink:

Also, did anyone else have a panic attack when they got to the 'Rand threw back his head in laughter part'? I got this image in my head of Rand laughing on the docks of Cairhien and thought, sonuvabitch, Cyndane and Lews Madhatter are here to begin the Sloughter of Merrilor. I'm wondering if Brandon being cute had this effect in mind...

Nifty. I agree the "cloying" bit at the end was a bit off-putting coming after the dark scenery, but perhaps it'll blend in better in the final version. A couple other points I didn't see addressed above:

The bleakness of the world has either accelerated or I didn't picture it quite so far gone before. Unless it's another outbreak of blight, I'd think the larger trees in the Westwood would have survived better than the underbrush.

I'm not sure Perrin would refer to Marin al'Vere by her first name. It implies a level of intimacy (i.e. familiarity) that seems out of place.

-- dwn

. . . but it does look like Lews Therin is disparaging Third Age vintages in general.

I actually was amused by that line at first reading because I've always imagined LTT being an elitist snoot on some level. :wink:

This. Next thing you know he'll be sniffing corks and rambling about tannins.

Honestly, I didn't find Rand and Perrin's conversation to be cheesy/odd at all. I could be a little biased, because I really want there to be a lot of "old characters reuniting and just plain talking about stuff that happened/reminiscing" scenes. I know they aren't exactly full of action and are often somewhat pointless and irrelevent, but I like them, dang it!

Overall, great start to the book. It picks up right where ToM left off and makes me think even more that the FoM meeting will be the big opener to the book. I can see the first several chapters being the buildup/actual events/immediate aftermath of the FoM meeting, maybe mixed with some of the black tower storyline. Unless that's wrapped up in the prologue, but I really hope it gets more screentime than that.

He was living as the Lord of the Two Rivers for some time, they probably beat it into him that he was to call them by their first names. It seems like the kind if the Tiw Rivers folk would expect a lord to do.

No, he started calling adults by their first names on their own.

Those he named wound off westward with no argument, though Mistress Luhhan, holding her horse's mane with both hands, gave him a very level look. It was the lack of argument from Faile that stunned him, enough that it took him a moment to realize he had called Master al'Thor and Master Cauthon by their first names.

There would be reasons to differentiate there short, Berelain and Alliandre he was aquainted to with first names, growing up calling Marin "Mistress Al'Vere" would ingrain that into your brain. It's a conditioning thing, but still I like the scene as is.

And as benevolent cow pointed out, he has been lord for a while now. New things could be ingrained in his head. Complaining over little tiny things that do not really contradict what is always in the books is why i almost never posted even though i lurked a long time before a registered 3 years ago and then after. It takes all the low out of reading and discussing the books. "Ny sniffed twice before tuggni her braid. Normally she only sniffs once. What going on? Is she extra upset? Does BS not understand the character well enough? RJ never would have made a mistake like that"

Neither the bit about the wine nor Rand and Perrin's conversation bothered me in the slightest.

I liked the full circle angle with the wind rising in the Mountains of the Mist and I liked the contrast of Rand's laughter when all around was bleak. A good sign for the LB. Plus, we've had the contrast of the world falling apart except around the three ta'veren for books now. Just an extension of it.

What did bother me a bit was the bit about Taren Ferry being burned and abandoned. What? They were all rebuilt last time we checked in. Hard to believe the TR would let a town fall to a roving band of Aiel or some such. Emond's Field was putting up walls. Watchtowers. Signals. Hard to believe even Taren Ferry could be destroyed without the rest of the region rising to defend it. And even harder to believe they'd leave it burned out without rebuilding.

How it happened? That's obvious enough, isn't it? Shadowspawn came out of the Waygate and set it on fire. Perhaps Darkfriend set it on fire. It's not a big mystery.

The whole "Shadowspawn army travelling through the ways when we've been told for how many books that they have to travel in small packs, not to mention how small the actual gate is and what a chokepoint it would make for an army trying to get through it into a well populated city" bothers me. A lot.

Yeah... Isn't reading aMoL supposed to make us super happy? Well, I am extatic, forget the wine, Marin or whatever. Rand is back, his thoughts are back, I can enter his head again - that's all that matters :biggrin: Thank you Brandon!

How it happened? That's obvious enough, isn't it? Shadowspawn came out of the Waygate and set it on fire. Perhaps Darkfriend set it on fire. It's not a big mystery.

The whole "Shadowspawn army travelling through the ways when we've been told for how many books that they have to travel in small packs, not to mention how small the actual gate is and what a chokepoint it would make for an army trying to get through it into a well populated city" bothers me. A lot.

I quite agree. Neither does it agree with what Talmanes saw when he looked at Caemlyn after Olver read Verin's note.. merely a bigger red haze. (ToM Epilogue).

My first reaction on reading this was: is this what's actually happening, or is it what Rand dreamed under CynFear's influence? Stil not sure..

I quite agree. Neither does it agree with what Talmanes saw when he looked at Caemlyn after Olver read Verin's note.. merely a bigger red haze. (ToM Epilogue).

My first reaction on reading this was: is this what's actually happening, or is it what Rand dreamed under CynFear's influence? Stil not sure..

Yea it's quite amazing. I forgot about what Talmanes saw too.

Good point with the waygate... hmmm.

That was my first thought when I read that chapter 2 days after the book came out. I actually reread it for 20 minutes or so trying to fathom it. I do agree with yout earlier comment, YAY Endings! But so many questions and don't make much sense to me.

So this meeting between Perrin and Rand takes place somewhere north of Caemlyn the day after "war had come to Andor"? Are they in the FoM? have they just come from fighting in Caemlyn or are they not aware that it burns?

Sorry, maybe I just need to read it again slowly...I'm just so excited to have new material...

I argued the same as vociferously as anyone before TOM, at which point I bowed to the arguments that channelers have ways to control Machin Shin, as Liandrin implied in TGH. Slayer did not, and Fain did not, but they are not channelers. Fain eventually developed his own way of dealing with Machin Shin, but he didn't have that ability when he originally brought the Trollocs to the Two Rivers, and he was not the one bringing them in TSR.

So this meeting between Perrin and Rand takes place somewhere north of Caemlyn the day after "war had come to Andor"? Are they in the FoM? have they just come from fighting in Caemlyn or are they not aware that it burns?

Sorry, maybe I just need to read it again slowly...I'm just so excited to have new material...

They are at Merrilor. Both of them arrived there at the end of TOM, on the same day, the day before the scheduled meeting between Rand and Egwene. They don't know anything about Caemlyn yet.

Talmanes said the city was burning, and there was never any good reason to doubt that was exactly what he saw.

Archived