DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

new reader question on tge foresaken

agentprimus

Hi y'all new to the boards and new to the series here. I was wondering about how the forsaken are presented. In other words do they have dialogue scenes and have individual personalities? Sort of like the death eaters in harry potter? Or are they not developed at all like the nine riders in lord of the rings? I'm about a third of the way of the first book. And I'm hoping to meet them as fully realized characters

You can look forward to getting to know each of them better as the series continues. There are scenes from their points of view where you gain insights to their personalities and ambitions.

You're in for quite a journey.....Enjoy!!!

Thanx Matrim and jarlaxe I knew I was gonna get a douchbag response from someone haha. What's the point of a forum if your not allowed to ask questions? Seriously!? GFY!

Not sure if you are familiar with the late Robert Jordan's interviews but he frequently said RAFO. Sure Jarlaxle meant it as a joke although no idea why he would have stated it for a question like yours. Anyway welcome to the series and DM!

Thanx Matrim and jarlaxe I knew I was gonna get a douchbag response from someone haha. What's the point of a forum if your not allowed to ask questions? Seriously!? GFY!

A bit of a ridiculous response from someone who is roughly 200 pages into an epic story that is 11,000 pages long with one book still left unpublished. While a "yes" would have sufficed from Jarlaxe, a winking "read and find out" is also a very appropriate tongue-in-cheek answer.

If that feeling makes me a douche, then I wear that title proudly.

So I don't know why, but when I was re-reading the series (as I still am) I try picking up each time a Forsaken first appears (whether in person or in the guise of someone else) and also the first time(s) their names are mentioned, and this is what I've come up with so far: (up to LoC Ch. 1)

Listed in order of appearance: (there are some exceptions)

1. Ishamael (first appears in EotW Prologue; name first mentioned a few times in EotW.) (appears in EotW, TGH, TDR)

2. Aginor (first appears in EotW; name first mentioned earlier in EotW) (appears in EotW)

3. Balthamel (first appears in EotW; name first mentioned earlier in EotW) (appears in EotW)

4. Lanfear (first appears in TGH as Selene; name first mentioned in EotW) (appears in TGH, TDR, TSR, TFoH)

*Between these two we may technically have one of Mesaana, but I'll discuss her later*

5. Rahvin (first appears in TDR as Gaebril; name Rahvin later mentioned in TDR) (appears in TDR, TFoH)

6. Be'lal (first appears in TDR; name first mentioned earlier in TDR) (appears in TDR)

7. Asmodean (first appears in TSR as Jasin Natael; name first mentioned later in TSR) (appears in TSR, TFoH)

8. Moghedian (first appears in TSR; name first mentioned in TSR***I think) (appears in TSR, TFoH, LoC, ACoS, TPoD?, WH, CoT (maybe?), KoD, TGS (maybe?))

9. Sammael (first appears in TFoH; name first mentioned in TDR) (appears in TFoH, LoC, ACoS)

10. Graendal (first appears in TFoH; name first mentioned in TSR) (appears in TFoH, LoC, ACoS, TPoD (maybe?), WH, CoT (maybe?), KoD, TGS, ToM)

11. Demandred (first appears in LoC; name first mentioned in EotW) (appears in LoC, WH, CoT (maybe?), KoD, TGS)

12. Mesaana (first appears...tricky, in person in LoC, but we can assume she was Danelle in TSR and possibly Else in TDR; name first mentioned in LoC*) (appears in TSR (as Danelle), TFoH (as Danelle), LoC, ACoS, TPoD, CoT, KoD, TGS, ToM) *Mesaana is the first Forsaken we meet who was not mentioned by name earlier in one of the books; the first time we see her name is the first time we meet her, and we also read that part from her PoV. Interesting. She's also tricky, because she was impersonating Danelle as early as TSR and possibly TDR and may have been the Else who visited the Wonder Girls in TDR

13. Semirhage (first appears in LoC; first mentioned in TFoH) (appears in LoC, KoD, TGS...may be missing some; I'm not sure)

TS Creator, your list is quite good, except for:

I am quite sure that Else was Lanfear in TDR. Egwene sees a flash of Silver and White right as she looses Else for good, trademark colors of Lanfear. Also, at this point, Lanfear was the main Forsaken character flitting around the TR kids, meddling, trying to mainpulate, etc, in disguise as other people. Rest of the list seems really good though.

edit: spoiler tag added.

Archived