DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A possiblity

MatsuTuri

I have always been curious if the whole dying and the day dawning twice thing could be attributed to the Horn.

Lets say Rand, all jacked up like he is now, goes to the last battle. He has a hard time, gets killed. Mat blows the Horn. The heros come. The Fog from the horn makes the sun go away, and when it clears there are the heros (including Rand), standing there, healthy again, ready to bring the fight back to the DO. This going over how he dies, how he comes back, and the day dawning twice.

I have moved alot recently, and dont have my books on hand. Can anyone reference how it mentions the first time the horn was blown and how it effected the light from the sun?

If this has already been explored and found lacking, just kick me.

I have seen this explored before, and theres certainly nothing directly opposing it, but to me it just doesn't feel right. For starters we know that the Heroes have very specific abilities and limitations in how much they can affect the pattern. For another thing this would completely invalidate certain plot points that RJ has been developing, like LTT and Moridin mind telepathy... or even Rand's ta'verenism.

But the death of Rand will play a big part in the last book, though, so it might go the way you said. I think it more likely that Rand and Moridin will swap bodies in some manner, and Alivia will kill Moridin in Rands body, and everyone will think that Rand is dead, and he will go off with his girls to live quietly or something.

Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed.

Once for mourning, once for birth.

Red on black, the Dragons blood stains the rocks of Shayol Ghul.

In the Pit of Doom shall his blood free men from the Shadow.

maybe that mordin and rand merge at dawn becoming one person and the first dawn was when he was born?

Guest Majsju

I am very convinced we got a good hint at what "twice days the day" means through KOD. If you recall all the times the wind from Dragonmount was mentioned, how it had a sulphur smell...

Possibly, but the ash from a volcanic eruption doesn't disapear that quickly... certainly not quickly enough for a second dawn in one day... unless you mean the eruption itself creates the light of the first dawn... in which case how would the second 'real' dawn be seen?

What if its just that Rand sees the dawn,. travels somewhere, and sees it again? (i dont think thats the case, but it should be said.)

• 5 months later...

I'm going with a solar eclipse on the "twice dawns the day" thing. Sun goes bye bye when the moon crosses in front of it. Sun "dawns" again when moon gets out of the way. Poof! Or perhaps it's a balefire thing. So much is used that it erases the whole day and it begins again. That's something to explore. Balefire unravels a day and it keeps repeating itself. ooo. neat.

Here's an idea:

Rand and the Dark One are going to be fighting over the Wheel of TIME. We already know that the One Power can affect things through time in a lineal sense (balefire). What if the fight between Rand and the Dark One, whatever form it takes, has the effect of making time roll backwards a bit?

Dawn

Fight

Timeslip

Dawn again.

Balefire never rolled back time, indeed that is the danger. It destroys things in the past, but the timeflow stays in the present meaning that there was nothing knew to fulfil the gap left by the destroyed thing.

That and RJ has said there will be no time travel in WoT.

Birgitte and gaidal will likely just not be present when the Horn is sounded again. Concider that Rand wasn't summoned in the Great Hunt because he had actually already been born.

Possibly the 'twice dawns the day his blood is shed' has to do with the fact that Shayol Ghoul is always overcassed. Add this to 'his blood on the rocks of shayol ghoul...' and you have a connection the blood aspect. My thought is that maybe Rand will watch the dawn contemplatively on the day of the assault on shayol Ghoul. They will travel there and after a big climactic struggle defeat the dark one or lock him away completely, thus breaking his hold on the are of shayol ghoul. The clouds break up and there you go. Second dawn. It wouldn't even be that crass because the sun has not shon there in 3500 years.

Birgitte and gaidal will likely just not be present when the Horn is sounded again. Concider that Rand wasn't summoned in the Great Hunt because he had actually already been born.

Rand was not summoned because he is not bound to the Horn.

In your opinion. Frankly ive never given weight to any argument against the Dragon's sould being one of the bound heroes.

That's obvious, otherwise you wouldn't believe in any such connection.

have u thinked on this?

its not nessesary a new dawn...

it can be a new down for mankind, ore the good ppl...

Extremely unlikely, as that would basically mean that the prophecy guaranteed a victory for Rand, and from what we've seen so far of the prophecy otherwise, it only contains events up to the actual battle, the outcome is not mentioned.

I stick to my idea about the volcano eruption. We can be fairly sure that will actually happen, since KOD showed that Dragonmount is becoming an active volcano.

How it might work:

Day dawns normally.

Rand heads off to fight the DO.

When the fight starts, the DOs influence spreads a darkness over a huge part of Randland.

Dragonmount explodes, the eruption is so powerful it makes it look like a 2nd dawn.

I'm sorry Maj, but the nature of volcanoes completrly disagrees with this... i mean i have studied prehistoric religion and not one of them--for all the religious significance--have mistaken a volcanic eruption with a dawn. A volcanic eruption simply does not create enough of an incident, even at its most violent.

Who said anything about mistaking an eruption with a dawn?

Most of the prophecy is fairly symbolic, to say the least. World goes dark -> Ka-Boom! -> Big flash of light -> Cool, lets call it a new dawn, just because it sounds prophetic and nice.

Not every single little thing in WOT will necessarily have anything to do with myths in our world. Just as there is no real myth in WOT about a big flood which most mythologies in our world has.

If it's not a volcano, the logical options would be either a solar eclipse or a comet.

Nothing involving Shayol Ghul fits, as that would more than indicate victory for Rand, and the prophecy is very careful to not hint at the outcome.

• 3 weeks later...
Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed.

Once for mourning' date=' once for birth.

Red on black, the Dragons blood stains the rocks of Shayol Ghul.

In the Pit of Doom shall his blood free men from the Shadow.

maybe that mordin and rand merge at dawn becoming one person and the first dawn was when he was born?[/quote']

Nothing here mentions that Rand dies and lives, just that the day dawns twice. Here's my take on it, the day dawns first when rand dies and again when Elayne give birth to his kids.

Archived