DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Far Madding in aMoL

the one advantage might be if moridin tries to lure rand to far madding, if rand thought it would be a even fight with swords only moridin might have the upper hand because he can touch the true powerwhich might mot be affected by the guardians

the one advantage might be if moridin tries to lure rand to far madding, if rand thought it would be a even fight with swords only moridin might have the upper hand because he can touch the true powerwhich might mot be affected by the guardians

Rand knows about the True Power. We get a scene in Knife of Dreams where Rand thinks about his encounter with Moridin that formed the link, and the fact that Moridin had to have been using True Power since Rand felt nothing (the knowledge about TP must have passed from LTT at this point). LTT's reaction during the Semirhage incident and Rands comment about the disaster that would have resulted if Rand had met the borderlanders pre-epiphany in the latest book further confirms that the existence of TP was known to the light and LTT during the Age of Legends.

As for Moridin tricking Rand into going to Far Madding and leaving himself vulnerable, I think if that were to happen, it would have already happened at the borderlander meeting. Strictly speaking Rand was incredibly foolish to enter the effect of the guardian the way he did. It might be excused the first time he did it since he was going there in secret and was presumably unaware of TP at the time. But in ToM he knew that Ishamael was both alive and able to channel TP in Far Madding, and he still went into the meeting, which the shadow could easily have learned the time and place of given that it was obviously public. Rand was lucky Moridin did not take this opportunity to kidnap him or try to drive him back to madness by traveling there to kill Min or something equally horrible.

He had Cadsuane's well/ paralis net as an ace in the hole, As a last resort, he also had his own link to TP. Also, he may not have known until he entered the Guardian's influence that it didn't block TP.

So he may have thought that Cadsuane'sparalist net-well would be more than enough anyway.

He had Cadsuane's well/ paralis net as an ace in the hole, As a last resort, he also had his own link to TP. Also, he may not have known until he entered the Guardian's influence that it didn't block TP.

So he may have thought that Cadsuane'sparalist net-well would be more than enough anyway.

Cadsuanes Well-ter'angreal is very weak. Certainly it would offer no protection against Moridin. Infact, I have always felt that if Cadsuane is killed, Moridin would be a good candidate to do it. Cadsuane has all those anti-saidin ter'angreal and relies on them quite a bit. Someone who can channel TP could surprise her quite effectively I think. Though either way, Moridin is way beyond her.

As for not knowing about the guardian not blocking TP, given that TP and OP are totally separate powers, I would say that if you don't know, assuming that an OP-ter'angreal does not work on TP would be the smart choice. Especially for Rand, who actually has personal knowledge of exactly this phenomena (the male a'dam did not affect TP use). Besides, Sanderson confirmed that Rand can still sense TP. That means that the moment he stepped into FM, he would have felt OP disappear but TP remain. Should he not have reconsidered at that point?

And while its true that Rand is apparently still able to use TP, that power is the very essence of the Dark One. Simply getting Rand to touch it again would have been a major victory for Moridin. So in that sense, attacking Rand during the borderlander meeting would have made even more sense, since it would have forced Rand to taint himself further. And Moridin should be looking for ways to drive Rand back to madness post-epiphany. I wonder if this will just be ignored or if we will get some reason for why Moridin did not act here.

Even though FM is in the center of Rand's empire, I don't think it'll become that important.

Let's say there is a Waygate inside Far Madding, and lets say 200k trollocs come out of it and capture the city. As soon as this is known, Rand can just sent 10k soldiers with a Portal to each of the three entrances to Far Madding, and siege the city. If they would try to break out, they'd lose a lot of trollocs if those soldiers are any good (Borderlanders for example), because there would not be enough room to take advantage of your number.

Also think of the Battle of Thermopylae, around 480 BC. Legend most likely has made the tale sound more epic, but Wikipedia has been kind enough to tell us likely numbers. Around 7000 Spartans blocked the way of 250 000 to 300 000 Persians for three ways, because the Persians couldn't take advantage of their number.

In the Wheel of Time, we have also seen this before, with Ituralde on that hill near Maradon. He hold it for weeks agaisnt a superior force, as he said himself. This can happen in Far Madding too. Also notice they will also have a hill advantage in Far Madding, which means they can shoot earlier (also see the battle of Malden in Knife of Dreams), while the enemy has to be closer to shoot.

I don't believe it'd take many man to hold the Trollocs in.

Cadsuanes Well-ter'angreal is very weak. Certainly it would offer no protection against Moridin. Infact, I have always felt that if Cadsuane is killed, Moridin would be a good candidate to do it. Cadsuane has all those anti-saidin ter'angreal and relies on them quite a bit. Someone who can channel TP could surprise her quite effectively I think. Though either way, Moridin is way beyond her.

As for not knowing about the guardian not blocking TP, given that TP and OP are totally separate powers, I would say that if you don't know, assuming that an OP-ter'angreal does not work on TP would be the smart choice. Especially for Rand, who actually has personal knowledge of exactly this phenomena (the male a'dam did not affect TP use). Besides, Sanderson confirmed that Rand can still sense TP. That means that the moment he stepped into FM, he would have felt OP disappear but TP remain. Should he not have reconsidered at that point?

And while its true that Rand is apparently still able to use TP, that power is the very essence of the Dark One. Simply getting Rand to touch it again would have been a major victory for Moridin. So in that sense, attacking Rand during the borderlander meeting would have made even more sense, since it would have forced Rand to taint himself further. And Moridin should be looking for ways to drive Rand back to madness post-epiphany. I wonder if this will just be ignored or if we will get some reason for why Moridin did not act here.

By the time he could figure out it by still being able to sense TP, he was already in the middle of the Borderlanders and he could scarcely run for it. Rand has never had a problem stepping into places where he can't channel. Stupid perhaps, but there it is.

I don't think Far Madding will really be used as a staging point. There's a 0% chance for the light to win there, and therefore no point in fighting the Shadow.

Shadowspawn could be carted in by the thousands by gateway and no one in Far Madding could do a thing about it. That's a place where 100,000 of the Shadow's soldiers could defeat every single human not sworn to the DO in the world.

I don't think Far Madding will really be used as a staging point. There's a 0% chance for the light to win there, and therefore no point in fighting the Shadow.

Shadowspawn could be carted in by the thousands by gateway and no one in Far Madding could do a thing about it. That's a place where 100,000 of the Shadow's soldiers could defeat every single human not sworn to the DO in the world.

Or they could rot there left alone. Your statement about the Light being unable to win there applies to the Shadow as well. If the just wait inside FM they won't do a single thing, just rot. And if they get out, surprise.

Or they could rot there left alone. Your statement about the Light being unable to win there applies to the Shadow as well. If the just wait inside FM they won't do a single thing, just rot. And if they get out, surprise.

Exactly. There's absolutely 0 reason to fight the Shadow in a place where they can annihilate all of humanity's armies in battle without losing a single soldier. The only thing the Light stands to lose at FM are a nominal amount of soldiers and the Guardians.

Exactly. There's absolutely 0 reason to fight the Shadow in a place where they can annihilate all of humanity's armies in battle without losing a single soldier. The only thing the Light stands to lose at FM are a nominal amount of soldiers and the Guardians.

and moral

There is no place that is totally defense-able and where a besieged army can defeat all attacking forces. If Far Madding becomes such a sticking point for the Light, a circle of a few dozen Aes Sedai and Ashaman can probably "Balescream" it out of existence. They wouldn't be killing any innocents since the Trollocs would have already eaten all humans in FM.

And since the Guardian does not unravel weaves, all elemental attacks cast from outside its range will still strike and cause damage. And a small circle of Aes Sedai can probably flood FM and wipe out any Trolloc army that is causing major problems.

Even though FM is in the center of Rand's empire, I don't think it'll become that important.

Let's say there is a Waygate inside Far Madding, and lets say 200k trollocs come out of it and capture the city. As soon as this is known, Rand can just sent 10k soldiers with a Portal to each of the three entrances to Far Madding, and siege the city. If they would try to break out, they'd lose a lot of trollocs if those soldiers are any good (Borderlanders for example), because there would not be enough room to take advantage of your number.

Also think of the Battle of Thermopylae, around 480 BC. Legend most likely has made the tale sound more epic, but Wikipedia has been kind enough to tell us likely numbers. Around 7000 Spartans blocked the way of 250 000 to 300 000 Persians for three ways, because the Persians couldn't take advantage of their number.

In the Wheel of Time, we have also seen this before, with Ituralde on that hill near Maradon. He hold it for weeks agaisnt a superior force, as he said himself. This can happen in Far Madding too. Also notice they will also have a hill advantage in Far Madding, which means they can shoot earlier (also see the battle of Malden in Knife of Dreams), while the enemy has to be closer to shoot.

I don't believe it'd take many man to hold the Trollocs in.

the formula in your signature makes more sense to me to have 1=0, just sayin lol

Archived