DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMOL reading at JordanCon

Terez

here is a pretty accurate way Wilson described to me my question about Rand. It is not 100% word for word but very very close. We had been talking about multiple things for a bit so I decided to throw him a question that I know has been discussed here and there among fans.

Me: So I've been wondering, and I think many others have as well, will we know for 100% sure what Rands fate is at the end of A Memory of Light?

Wilson: Oh yes. There will be NO doubt in anyones mind what Rands fate will be at the end. It will sure to surprise and amaze people. When Jim (RJ) told me how the series ended I just shook my head and said, "Bubba, that is just beautiful. Just beautiful." So yes you will all know.

Rand is resurrected via Tel'aran'rhiod, but only a handful of people really know that. Mat betrays the secret when he blows the Horn, so that starts the rumors that will make the legends, but Rand is resurrected, finishes the job (whatever is causing the world to hang in the balance), and goes off to live in the Westwood with Min until she dies, at which point Elayne and Aviendha will join him (not that they won't visit in the meantime). The Westwood will become the king's forest where only Perrin can hunt (and maybe his descendants). Just for the record. ;)

Is that your theory or is that something you were told?

Yeah because they just decided to let the ending slip :rolleyes:

here is a pretty accurate way Wilson described to me my question about Rand. It is not 100% word for word but very very close. We had been talking about multiple things for a bit so I decided to throw him a question that I know has been discussed here and there among fans.

Me: So I've been wondering, and I think many others have as well, will we know for 100% sure what Rands fate is at the end of A Memory of Light?

Wilson: Oh yes. There will be NO doubt in anyones mind what Rands fate will be at the end. It will sure to surprise and amaze people. When Jim (RJ) told me how the series ended I just shook my head and said, "Bubba, that is just beautiful. Just beautiful." So yes you will all know.

Rand is resurrected via Tel'aran'rhiod, but only a handful of people really know that. Mat betrays the secret when he blows the Horn, so that starts the rumors that will make the legends, but Rand is resurrected, finishes the job (whatever is causing the world to hang in the balance), and goes off to live in the Westwood with Min until she dies, at which point Elayne and Aviendha will join him (not that they won't visit in the meantime). The Westwood will become the king's forest where only Perrin can hunt (and maybe his descendants). Just for the record. ;)

Okay, that's not funny. That is eerily like the ending of a few old tales I've heard, the same kind of stories RJ would have read in old literature. I know he hated some things with Tolkein and modern fantasy where the hero never could have a happy ever after type life. They had to sail away on the gray ships or die, as many writers couldn't come up with any life that was writable after all the adventure. This sounds like the ending of an old piece of literature or maybe a fairytale (a grimmer sort) I read, especially living in the forest in secret, wanting the calm of a simple life, just can't remember which one...

That (in an extremely condensed form) has been Terez's theory for a long time, and it's one of hers I happen to really like and agree with and hope happens - I think it would make for an almost perfect ending. If you don't know about the ripping from T'a'R part, I suggest finding her theory on it and reading it - very good stuff.

Is that your theory or is that something you were told?

I've read it, and I hope it doesn't happen like that. Nynaeve is the key figure here - she knows about Birgitte, how she was ripped from T'A'R, so she should certainly be able to do it again. But for a number of reasons (given in other threads, and by others besides myself) I'm becoming convinced that T'A'R holds the solution to the whole problem of healing the rift in the Pattern that is the bore. So it's likely that Rand will refuse to be removed from there.

It's also likely that Lan - Nyn's husband - is himself a HotH, and he is currently riding to his death at Tarwin's Gap. Nyn would certainly try to rip him out (fulfilling any foreshadowing)!

Clearly some people missed the special VIP event at JordanCon where the ending was allegedly revealed by an inebriated Team Jordan insider. Reportedly, AMoL will end with a chilling scene that suggests that the battle between Lews Therin and Moridin (or, as they are known in the Fourth Age, Loose Furrin and Meowdin) will continue in Ages to come.

meowdin.jpg

Now you're making me wish we could give rep here.

Okay, that's not funny. That is eerily like the ending of a few old tales I've heard, the same kind of stories RJ would have read in old literature.

The same kind of stories that RJ is trying to tell, as if they were one story? Like Arthur, for example. Some of the more recent Arthur tales have it where Arthur lives in a forest after his death, and is sometimes sighted there by travelers. I'm not sure which ones, though; Linda would know.

I know he hated some things with Tolkein and modern fantasy where the hero never could have a happy ever after type life. They had to sail away on the gray ships or die, as many writers couldn't come up with any life that was writable after all the adventure. This sounds like the ending of an old piece of literature or maybe a fairytale (a grimmer sort) I read, especially living in the forest in secret, wanting the calm of a simple life, just can't remember which one...

I'm not sure RJ ever said that explicitly. He did say he hated the kinds of stories where everything is wrapped up neatly at the end. However, Rand himself has wanted nothing more than to just go home since he left the Two Rivers. He's probably the only one other than Perrin that really does want to go home, and Perrin already went.

That (in an extremely condensed form) has been Terez's theory for a long time, and it's one of hers I happen to really like and agree with and hope happens - I think it would make for an almost perfect ending. If you don't know about the ripping from T'a'R part, I suggest finding her theory on it and reading it - very good stuff.

I agree, it's the closest thing to a perfect ending we'll get. It's one of the reasons Rand has to die before he finishes the job, though; it would be pointless to bring him back just so he could go into hiding and live with his women. The resurrection needs to be more significant than that.

As for Lan, I suggested a few years ago Nynaeve might rip out Lan too. But Rand is the one who has to save the world, so he's more important, and if Rand follows the precepts, then she'll have to use Need to find him. At that point it depends on whether Nynaeve's Need for Lan is something that is really recognized by the Pattern to that extent (i.e. giving Nynaeve the ability to find him in Tel'aran'rhiod).

Clearly some people missed the special VIP event at JordanCon where the ending was allegedly revealed by an inebriated Team Jordan insider. Reportedly, AMoL will end with a chilling scene that suggests that the battle between Lews Therin and Moridin (or, as they are known in the Fourth Age, Loose Furrin and Meowdin) will continue in Ages to come.

meowdin.jpg

Solid.

I love it....   :biggrin:

On a more, er, formal note:

Some of the more recent Arthur tales have it where Arthur lives in a forest after his death, and is sometimes sighted there by travelers. I'm not sure which ones, though; Linda would know.

There is no mention of this in the definitive work by Sir Thomas Malory, namely Le Morte d'Arthur. See in particular here:

http://en.wikisource...rthur/Volume_II

Scroll down to Chapter V - VII.

Or if you want an abridged version, try here:

http://en.wikisource...ghts/Chapter_41

So I would be interested to see Linda's references.

I agree, it's the closest thing to a perfect ending we'll get. It's one of the reasons Rand has to die before he finishes the job, though; it would be pointless to bring him back just so he could go into hiding and live with his women. The resurrection needs to be more significant than that.

As for Lan, I suggested a few years ago Nynaeve might rip out Lan too. But Rand is the one who has to save the world, so he's more important, and if Rand follows the precepts, then she'll have to use Need to find him. At that point it depends on whether Nynaeve's Need for Lan is something that is really recognized by the Pattern to that extent (i.e. giving Nynaeve the ability to find him in Tel'aran'rhiod).

Going off that bottom part I wouldn't mind seeing both being able to be found by her, but she can only save one of them. After some tearful moments she knows she must abandon Lan. "Save the Sheepherder, save the world" if you will

I could dig a scene like that, if written well. But if Brandon Sanderson uses a Heroes reference such as that, I will pitch a hissy fit the likes of which this world has never seen! :)

Going off that bottom part I wouldn't mind seeing both being able to be found by her, but she can only save one of them. After some tearful moments she knows she must abandon Lan. "Save the Sheepherder, save the world" if you will

I love it.... :biggrin:

Some of the more recent Arthur tales have it where Arthur lives in a forest after his death, and is sometimes sighted there by travelers. I'm not sure which ones, though; Linda would know.

There is no mention of this in the definitive work by Sir Thomas Malory, namely Le Morte d'Arthur.

I know it's not in Malory; that's why I said it was in some of the more recent Arthur tales.

I am intrigued to see how much of post war they show at the end of AMoL. Brandon said on Twitter that when writing the ending of AMoL he was listening to the song "To Zanarkand" from Final Fantasy X and for those who have played that game, the song is played when the heros are standing at the top of a cliff overlooking ruins. So if his song choice was at all suggestive of what he was writing at the end, we may not see too much of post war

I am intrigued to see how much of post war they show at the end of AMoL. Brandon said on Twitter that when writing the ending of AMoL ...

Fairly certain RJ wrote the ending before he passed...

RJ wrote the climax, which is not necessarily the ending. But Peter referenced something about 70,000 words. It got all confused.

Hmm, someone said that RJ wrote the epilogue, as well. Was it Brandon on Twitter? I'll go look.

EDIT: Twitter's search sucks. Good thing I have Brandon's feed in my Google Reader:

So, we do have a fair amount of post-TG material.

I love it.... :biggrin:

There is no mention of this in the definitive work by Sir Thomas Malory, namely Le Morte d'Arthur.

I know it's not in Malory; that's why I said it was in some of the more recent Arthur tales.

And that's why I asked to see Linda's refs.

Hmm, someone said that RJ wrote the epilogue, as well. Was it Brandon on Twitter? I'll go look.

EDIT: Twitter's search sucks. Good thing I have Brandon's feed in my Google Reader:

So, we do have a fair amount of post-TG material.

He left a lot of notes on the state of the world after TG, but it's never been said that he left any actual written material.

Archived