DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Info on "A Memory of Light" (updated 3/33/2006)

Jason Denzel

Guest Majsju

I don't think, I know.

First there's the simple matter of eliminating possibilities. Osan'gar reaches for Saidin, thus it must be a male forsaken. Which leaves Aginor, Balthamel, Ishamael, Be'lal, Rahvin and Asmo. In the prologue of LOC we learn that Asmo has died the final death for being a traitor, no coming abck for him. Be'lal and Rahvin was balefired, and therefore out of reach for the DO. Ishamael appears later in LOC as Moridin.

Left is Balthamel and Aginor. Osan'gar comments about the great joke it was to give Aran'gar a female body. Balthamel was a well-known leecher, which we've seen several times that he still is as Aran'gar.

Osan'gar also had a POV about being involved in the making of trollocs and other shadowspawn, which we know Aginor was, being our favourite crazy scientist.

And finally, RJ gave an unusually straight answer at a post ACOS-signing, where he confirmed the identities of the 'gars.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Majsju

Halima is Aran'gar, who is Balthamel recycled.

Dashiva was Osan'gar, who was Aginor recycled.

Asmodean will not be recycled.

• 2 weeks later...

the 13th book is new spring. and the book doesn't have to be 3000 pages. it just has to be more direct. most of it will probably be the last battle and battle scenes tend to be short and to the point.

Cadsuane shook the trinkets in her hair "i killed asmoden! And you knew me as lanfear! But i came back as noal! then used magic to disguise myself as cadsuane! and here are the answers to everything else that has been left unresolved in this series ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------" she said.

"but he was my teacher!" said rand as he spun and shot a thumb thick flow of balefire at the newlyfound darkfriend. then he wove a gateway just so and an army of finns rushed though to destroy the dark one's army.

• 2 weeks later...

take it from a 48 year old that picked these things up when the great hunt came out...it is a relief to be in sight of the end of this. rj knows it as well.

barry sadler forever penned the "casca" series that went on forever and ever but never finished for one simple reason...he died. the premise for the end of that series would make most other tales pale in comparison.

if you ever get a chance to pick up the first one, "casca, the eternal mercenary", don't. you will want to read them all. they are thin pocket novels that read fast and sadler was a good writer. as the series has no end and i quit at number 14; they go into the 20s.

ask rj who barry sadler was and he will very likely know. this could be the emphasis for finalization of the tale as we almost had another "casca" event.

that would have been a waste of far too many hours on my behalf and i would give all of my wot books away.

there is always someone who would step forward and offer to either finish the tale or needlessly carry it out further. more than likely it would be a younger writer lacking rj's life experiences. foresight tells me there are too many that would accept this and continue reading.

i think it would be best left alone so we may further carry out discussions of theories as i, for one, do not want to read drivel squeezed from the mind of one who's entire life experirnces are entrenched in scifi books and video games. a healthy dose of life's reality is what makes the wot tale what it is.

rj had a life before 1990, correct?

another writer wouldn't be able to start with the all-too-familiar phrase "for harriet, as always".

8)

i am a musician and have played for many years in smokey bars and dives since i was 17. i am humoured by BLUES artists that have yet to lose a woman, car or job as well as never had enough hangovers that proved one tried to drown those sorrows in drink.

some are barely old enough to drink or vote.

i liken this to a writer that attempts to continue a piece of work of this magnitude.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well i did read that the book was going to be a lot of pages and that there is no way it could be paperback cause it would fall apart and that a hardback would be required if that was the case (i think thats how it goes)

but hey, i agree that no matter how many pages it is, its gonna get read so it doesn't matter

think of what he packed into books one and two. i just finished book ten *yawn* for the 3rd or 4th time and covered far more ground in those two than this one did while idling in the woods of altara.

neither were 2000 pages.....even combined.

Even if it is 2K long, will he be able to do all of the story lines the justice each of them has earned over the last 15+ years?

Hopefully RJ has a good way of doing this like converging several plots into a few conclusions. Since the three lads are all Ta'avreen, they should draw everything back to themselves and eventually to each other in time for TG.

Hopefully RJ has a good way of doing this like converging several plots into a few conclusions. Since the three lads are all Ta'avreen' date=' they should draw everything back to themselves and eventually to each other in time for TG.[/quote']

I think you just hit the nail in the head...having the three leads as Ta'veren leaves a lot of room to maneuver...i tend to also think TG will come out of the north, and meet the combined armies of everyone on the field of battle below Dragonmount...kind of a come full circle kind of thing...

We're guessing that it'll be done in 2008. That was the date we bandied about at Dragon*con, before we even saw KoD. Its based on how long we expect this one to be and how long it took him to write the previous books.

But that was before we found out he was sick. I know he's taken some time off from writing because of that. It may be 2009 before we see AMoL. Or it may be next year. I honestly couldn't tell you.

Is he actually writing now? If so, is Harriet helping him? I've pictured him laying back and using some sort of voice recognition software or something. But then again there are too many made up words aren't there? *sigh* if he is working then he's probably going very slow. understandably so..

The fact that RJ has not responded to the bone marrow transplant puts his median survival at 1 year. How this is affected by the fact that amyloid deposition in his heart APPEAR to be stable I do not know.

Two major ways amyloid kills you aside from massive multi-organ failure is congestive heart failure and kidney disease.

Even with no kidneys, dialysis can keep him alive for an average of 5 years. There shouldn't be any problems with finishing his opus then.

If his HEART is affected that is another story. And remember that in his case, the amyloid went to his HEART . . . hence his shortness of breath and associated symptoms.

Right now, unless he has a lot more of Memory of Light finished than he is letting on, I put him finishing the series at only a coin flip. And 50/50 is being optimistic.

Don't want to sound callous. I mean I want RJ to be healthy and well. But the bottom line is he will be bucking odds of easily a million to one if he survives into 2008. Do a literature search on "amyloidosis" on pubmed.com for the latest series from Mayo and Boston.

The question here is about his opus and his legacy. Wheel of Time still has the potential to be the greatest and most influential epic fantasy in modern times . . . but it has to be finished first.

Here's hoping for the best.

Dennis

take it from a 48 year old that picked these things up when the great hunt came out...it is a relief to be in sight of the end of this. quote]

Hi' date=' I'm new here. And I must say I agree with this statement. I'm 37 and have been reading this series since the beginning (not just [i']a[/i] beginning, but the beginning...Eye of the World). Now I'm ready for the ending. I'm sure it will be as great as the rest of the story no matter how many pages it contains.

But I don't agree you have to be blue to play the blues. 8)

I don´t know the amyloidosis type RJ suffers, but i believe he will fight hard and he will be able to finish his life work, he allways said he know the whole story wich is in his head.

About the series , well, in the last book the plots are far from ending...

Perrin is finished with the shaido but he is binded to the seanchan throug tyleen

Mat is married but Tuon has to deal with the crystal throne in seandar

Eleyne is queen and she has to rebuild andor

Ewgene is captive of elaida who has M. stepanneos in the tower and mesaana

illian is threaten by the seanchan

arad doman is near bursting with the wolf and the aiel of rand

rand has a body like a football ground in autumn, two impossible injuries to heal, no hand, he is blind, the dizziness when he reaches for saidin, LTT, moridin in his head, the connection with the other ta´veren... the darkone...

the forsaken and the true power

shidar haran

the black ajah

the mhael and the blacktower

Min and herid fel´s books

the ogier trying to scape from this world, the song of the tinkers-aiel and avendessora

the stinky fellow with the dagger of shadar logoth

verin, cadsuane, alivia and logain

lan malkier and luc-isam...

there is a lot of threads in the pattern all connected to tarmon gaidon and one book to finish all... it will be a big big book

I don´t know the amyloidosis type RJ suffers, but i believe he will fight hard and he will be able to finish his life work, he allways said he know the whole story wich is in his head.

About the series , well, in the last book the plots are far from ending...

Perrin is finished with the shaido but he is binded to the seanchan throug tyleen

Mat is married but Tuon has to deal with the crystal throne in seandar

Eleyne is queen and she has to rebuild andor

Ewgene is captive of elaida who has M. stepanneos in the tower and mesaana

illian is threaten by the seanchan :?: what happened to rands' truce???arad doman is near bursting with the wolf and the aiel of rand

rand has a body like a football ground in autumn, two impossible injuries to heal, no hand, he is blind, :x HE IS NOT BLIND YET the dizziness when he reaches for saidin, LTT, moridin in his head, the connection with the other ta´veren... the darkone...

the forsaken and the true power

shidar haran

the black ajah

the mhael and the blacktower :roll: lOGAIN'S GLORY DUH!!!

Min and herid fel´s books

the ogier trying to scape from this world, :roll: LOIAL GOING TO THE STUMP RING A BELL TO YOU??? the song of the tinkers-aiel and avendessora

the stinky fellow :roll: HIS NAME IS FAIN/MORDETH with the dagger of shadar logoth

verin, cadsuane, alivia and logain

lan malkier :wink:NYNEAVE RAISING AN ARMY FOR LAN... and luc-isam...

there is a lot of threads in the pattern all connected to tarmon gaidon and one book to finish all... it will be a big big book :roll: ALREADY STATED MANY TIMES BY RJ THAT HE WILL MAKE IT IN ONE BOOK EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO CARRY IT AROUND WITH A WHEELBARROW

PS: sorry for takin you apart having a bad day here...

Archived