DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Studying

So I am currently studying at the University of Pretoria (UP), but am considering changing to a correspondence course with the University of South Africa (UNISA), simply because it is *a lot* more practical.

The only thing I am worried about is whether the UNISA degree will be recognised less than the UP one (cause they often say that any idiot can get admitted to study at UNISA). The last thing I want happening is to finish studying and be told that my degree is below standard or something.

Now, what I was wondering is whether any of you guys could advise any ways in which one could investigate a matter like this?

Thanks in advance for any that reply!

Well here its all about finding how good the program that your studying is. For example on the website for West Texas A&M it says that there History program is one of the best in the country. So that's how I determine if I want to go somewhere how good is the program of study. I don't know that i've heard that people discriminate on a person based on where they got the degree. Maybe i'm just sheltered?

Check league tables for your course at the universities: make sure you look at several to compare.

Look at the pass rates/employment rates/student satisfaction rates at each institution, both in general and for your course. These can be quite telling, and it may be useful knowing the percentage of students that find work within 6 months of graduating with that particular degree. Take the student satisfaction rates well salted though.

Ask professionals in your field where they graduated from, and ask them if it made a whole lot of difference to them. Learn from their experiences, again, make sure you ask as many people in your chosen career as you can.

There you go, thinking with your sword again ... :wink:

There are definitely league tables and differing perceptions of the class of degree over here in the UK, with there being a Top Tier of Oxford, Cambridge and maybe Durham, followed by the old proper real universities (which Rey probably goes to) and then the universities that used to be polytechnics (that I went to lol).

Is it the change in University that you are worried about, or the change to a correspondance course?

Well here its all about finding how good the program that your studying is. For example on the website for West Texas A&M it says that there History program is one of the best in the country. So that's how I determine if I want to go somewhere how good is the program of study. I don't know that i've heard that people discriminate on a person based on where they got the degree. Maybe i'm just sheltered?

!!!!

Are you really considering coming here!?!?!??!?

Not sure why this got split up (as I had it in my previous post), but whatever.

I agree with Rasi. Over here it's dependent on the program, not the university itself. I would do research as to how that school's program is viewed within that particular field.

Is it the same level of degree, or would it be going from a four year to a two year?

edit: I am so used to playing mafia and not being able to edit that I forgot I could do so instead of posting twice *laughs*. #firstworldproblems!

!!!!

Are you really considering coming here!?!?!??!?

Yeah, i'm talking with my adviser about what his thoughts on where to go are. I'm going to bring it up to him then and see what he says. I may end up doing either the Masters or Ph.D there though and start closer to home. I'm not sure yet, i'm still clearing up things with Fin aid and my life is all crazy right now. Although I need to get on applying to universities pretty quickly.

Something else I'd recommend is asking people in the field you want to go into what they'd recommend. If they say the degree would be subpar then just stick with what you have now, knowing it'll all be over soon enough. If you could make the switch and not have long term effects then go with that. Best way to find out is go to an expert :D

In what way is the UNISA degree more practical? If you think it will teach you professional skills needed for a certain vocation, then that might be the best way.

If there's a widespread perception that UP is much better, perhaps it's better to stay there.

I think that generally, though, the quality of where you got your degree only matters if you want to become an academic. And it's tough being an academic these days, there are few jobs around for new PhDs.

Check league tables for your course at the universities: make sure you look at several to compare.

Look at the pass rates/employment rates/student satisfaction rates at each institution, both in general and for your course. These can be quite telling, and it may be useful knowing the percentage of students that find work within 6 months of graduating with that particular degree. Take the student satisfaction rates well salted though.

Ask professionals in your field where they graduated from, and ask them if it made a whole lot of difference to them. Learn from their experiences, again, make sure you ask as many people in your chosen career as you can.

I'm not sure we have those sorta tables here. But I'll have a look and see. I'll also definitely try asking someone in teh field *nods* Thanks Rey *snugglebites*

Get your Warder to threaten the SA education board?

*giggles and snuggles the silly Warder*

There are definitely league tables and differing perceptions of the class of degree over here in the UK, with there being a Top Tier of Oxford, Cambridge and maybe Durham, followed by the old proper real universities (which Rey probably goes to) and then the universities that used to be polytechnics (that I went to lol).

Is it the change in University that you are worried about, or the change to a correspondance course?

A bit of both really. While I don't doubt that I can handle a correspondance course, I'm not sure whether they are as widely accepted as regular University ones.

I agree with Rasi. Over here it's dependent on the program, not the university itself. I would do research as to how that school's program is viewed within that particular field.

Is it the same level of degree, or would it be going from a four year to a two year?

Well it depends on whether credits from the modules I've done this semester and last year will be valid. Then I'll most likely be in a limbo between years.

Also, it would be a slightly different course since they don't actually offer the course I'm currently doing. This course is in the process of being phased out. So I will be changing from a BSc Education to a Bachelor of Education Higher Grade. Not much of a difference in the modules, that I have seen, except that the latter has a whole lot more education related ones. I would actually be doing more modules through Unisa than what i am currently doing.

In what way is the UNISA degree more practical? If you think it will teach you professional skills needed for a certain vocation, then that might be the best way.

If there's a widespread perception that UP is much better, perhaps it's better to stay there.

I think that generally, though, the quality of where you got your degree only matters if you want to become an academic. And it's tough being an academic these days, there are few jobs around for new PhDs.

Unisa is more practical because it will be perhaps 30% of what it costs to study at UP; I wouldn't waste 2h of my day driving in and out of the city; I will be able to work while studying, well more effectively than I am now; and as opposed to going to class, then restudying what they taught me that day, I can immediately study things the way I understand them.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll definitely ask around and see what information I can get.

Archived