DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The gasp event in knife of dreams

phoenix

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Majsju

And what is the connection between Rand's hand and something that happened in an earlier book that we cheered?

well

we cheered that he had his hand.....or something

lol

I'm just kidding

but we did like the fact that he had 2 hands

I guess you are right, but I didn't really gasp at anything other than Rand's hand

I'm not even done with the Knife of Dreams, because I re-read the whole series before I started it, I had forgotten almost everything( I had read other books in between)

so far I am 60 or so pages from the end

and I am savoring it all

I didnt gasp when Rand lost his hand. Serves him right. If he wasnt so *****whipped it would never have happened. Oh no I cant duck cause Min is behind me. I guess I'll block it with my spear. Good plan. Mabye next time you will leave her at home in the kitchen where she belongs. Rand has been turned into a total looser. I hope the last line of the last book turns out to be. *Flicker* I win again Lews Therin.

he lost his hand' date=' not his entire arm....[/quote']

Same thing, made me gasp. wasent expecting for the main Guy to become even MORE hurt, and now hes going blind?!?!!?!?!? how is he going to battle teh DO if he keeps on this way :shock:

but there was a veiwing that he was going to go blind. We've known that for like 6 books, and as for the hand thing, there are hints spread throughout the entire series that that is going to happen, going all the way back to Rand's nightmare in Shadar Logath in EotW. Plus that was in NO WAY connected to anything we thought was good earlier in the series.

I forgot about that

in fact, I still don't remember

I'll look it up....I've got nothing better to do...

I might have to re-read the series AGAIN before I read the next book

I forgot what happened, so I had to re-read it before I read the knife of dreams

but it was awesome, I love forgetting what happens...that means I get to read it again!

whoo hoo!

there is also that norse god that rand has alot of paralells to (cant remember his name atm), he loses one hand too. i saw this coming a while ago, well thats not true, the wotfaq pointed this possibility out to me a while ago, and i chose to believe it as a probable course of action...rand seems to be copping it something fierce so i figured more injuries to him short of death were fairly likely.

there were so many great bits in the book, i'd have to say the whole book was one big gasp of pleasure. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

Was I the only one rather surprised at the end, when the Red Ajah went to the black tower for warders, and Taim very casually said yes? In all reality, that seemed much more shocking, surprising, and unexpected than the other events everyone else listed.

I agree that the Amayar event didnt have the strong effect it could have and if RJ had given us a couple of chapters with some more information about them throughout the last few books we would have been more invested in them... However I disagree that Rand would have 'thrown them to wolves' to cleanse the Taint... One thing I didnt see anyone mention is this... it seemed very clear to me from the info we do have about the Amayar that they follow the way of the leaf or some derivitive... they are a peaceful, absolutely no violence, sort of people which makes their death more tragic, in my opinion.

Guest cwestervelt

Nudd/Nuada from Celtic mythology looses his had too. He later gets a silver one in replacement.

I'm not certain why anyone would have been shocked at Rand losing a hand. Way back in the Eye of the World we are basically told it is going to happen. This happend in Chapter 15: Strangers and Friends when Rand first meets Min.

Her grin stopped just short of outright laughter. "The same kind of things as the rest. A sword that isn't a sword, a golden crown of laurel leaves, a beggar's staff, you pouring water on sand, a bloody hand and a white-hot iron, three women over a funeral bier with you on it, black rock wet with blood--"

The beggar's staff is semi-indicative of the blindness too. Not all beggars would have staffs, but a lot of blind beggars would.

his severed hand doenst bleed, it is charred off.

the bloody hand could be from holding a bleeding wound on another part of his body, or someone elses.

also. it could a reference to all the blood on his hand by the end..metaphorically

And what is the connection between Rand's hand and something that happened in an earlier book that we cheered?

At the end of CoT, Bashere says that the Seanchan want Rand to meet The Dauther of the Nine Moons. When I read that, I was really excited and was thinking that Mat and Rand would meet back up. Then Rand goes to meet her and ends up losing his hand.

Sadly though, I have had a lot of spoliers on this series and so I knew he was going to lose his hand. After reading that chapter last night, I decided to click this post and was surprised to find out what the gasp event really was. It was a sad moment yes, but really not that big of a deal given that they just didn't fit into the story that much.

A good comparison for me is basically any battle that takes place. Yes, it is sad when people on the good side die but as long as they are just "faces in the crowd" then why get into so much? I felt more emotion reading that Perrin killed Rolan and his two buddies when he found Faile. That was really a shocker there.

Guest Majsju

At the end of CoT' date=' Bashere says that the Seanchan want Rand to meet The Dauther of the Nine Moons. When I read that, I was really excited and was thinking that Mat and Rand would meet back up. Then Rand goes to meet her and ends up losing his hand.

[/quote']

Well, that's not really something that actually Happened in an earlier book.

I don't get why so many people tend to only aim at the "gasp" part, and forget about the two other things. 1. An event that took place in an earlier book. 2. We supposedly cheered, which means it was a good event, with a positive outcome.

but there was a veiwing that he was going to go blind. We've known that for like 6 books' date=' and as for the hand thing, there are hints spread throughout the entire series that that is going to happen, going all the way back to Rand's nightmare in Shadar Logath in EotW. Plus that was in NO WAY connected to anything we thought was good earlier in the series.[/quote']

If Rand goes blind that is the last straw, than it is almost a plain rip off from Dune,......

• Community Administrator

Main characters going blind doesn't mean it was stolen from the said author. Hell rj admitted that the beggining of the story was almost a blatant ripoff of lotr's begining, and that was onl for familirities.

I Don't think rand will go "blind" he just has some eye damage that may be pernemant, or temporary. *depending if nyneave can heal it*.

Of course he may go psychosemantically blind..

Archived