DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Asmodean's Inprisonment

gloweye

Resist mean-spirited comment concerning pots and kettle. Come on man, hold it together, hold it together...

But as for the post at hand, like I said, I always thought he truly converted back. Asmo fought in the battle against Rahvin before he was killed the first time. He knew that he was toast unless Rand won so he clung to the root as long as he could. He never played tricks like Moggy did with the Supergirls (telling them they could learn to feel when a man channeled) and taught Rand very well. I think he was truly reformed.

How he died- Probably Balefire. Easy answer and it fits.

Where he died- Under the light.

Thats right Mr Ares, i am not letting it die just yet (even if i am probably wrong) so put the stick away.

Perhaps the where RJ was talking about was not the where of his body, but the where of his soul.

That seems like a way RJ would have messed with us.

Like i said, i am probably way wrong on this. Theory is based off of how i saw Asmo and not everyone sees him that way. I saw Asmo as the least power hungry of the forsaken.

History of the forsaken state that he went to the DO in order to get immortality so that he would have the time to accomplish his goal of be a master in music.

He was never a field general for the shadow, more of a government official and of all the forsaken he treated those under him the least crappy.

Does this make him a swell guy, no, but swell compared to the rest.

Plus, i think Asmo was fairly smart. Unlike the other morons (except Ishy who just doesnt care) i believe he figured out that if the DO wins its over. No immortal glory, no anything but destruction.

Thus Rand gave him another option and after some time he wasnt helping him because he had to but because he wanted to. And by the end he had given in to the light and been accepted, thus being out of bounds for the DO.

Again, my completely made up fantasy of what could have happened to Asmo, but i like it.

Fine, here is the stick back. Not the face.

Fine, not the face. I think your theory is an interesting idea. I think that had he stuck around longer, turning back to the Light might have been a real possibility. What I disagree with you on is the notion that it happened. In his last POV, we see him refer to Shai'tan in his head as the Great Lord, and refer back to the quote Suttree posted. He's the man holding onto the tuft of grass. He knows it won't hold him forever, but right now Rand is his only chance of life, so he will cling to him as long as he can. He doesn't support Rand's cause (although he does want Rand to kill off his rivals for him), but he doesn't have any other choices. Take a look at his POV at the end of FoH when you get a chance, and tell me if you think this guy is really on the side of the Light. If he stuck around long enough, he might switch his allegiance in truth (likely out of a pragmatic belief that Rand is going to win more than sincere repentance), but he hadn't yet at the time he died.

OK, this will be a funny opinion. Maybe Asmodean was sticking close to Rand because he had time to compose his songs during their time in Waste? He wasn't any longer connected to the Dark One, his previous manager, so he said to himself something like "oh well at least I will tour with this guy for a while." :biggrin:

It's easy enough to justify how it works, but yah, doesn't make sense as written. Add a compulsion to it if it's messed with or something for example. Granted if he really wanted it off, he just had to visit a stedding :)

We don't know much about Asmodean the Forsaken, it's pretty much all speculation.

That's an excellent comment. I suppose we could retroactively rationalize that Lanfear actually did use compulsion on Asmodean, but decided not to tell Rand and Asmodean about it for some reason....

On the other hand, we don't know Lanfear's skill level with compulsion. She could have been far from Graendal, and even if she inverted the weaves she might have ended up making Asmodean into an obedient thoughtless drone - a poor teacher.

Have we ever seen Graendal stepping into or out of T'a'r in the flesh? Asmo steps into the room looking for wine, and poof, he's in T'a'r, and Graendal simply undoes him, killing him. Fits place and manner. Then there's the skimming blackness, and the vacuoles, and Finnland as the only things we are aware of that can fit the place. Balefire I think the argument was that his words never would have hung in the air. We know she always poked about looking for the treasure troves of Ter'angreal and angreal and items the other dead forsaken had of the AOL soon after their demise. We know Egwene simply made her tent area just like the world of dreams and walked through. I guess we will never really know, but that kind of secret I'm sure he had to share with Harriet.

The problem with this, however, is that if Graendal pulls him into TAR, then she loses the advantage she has over him in a fight. In the real world, she can channel and he can't so beating him is like swatting a fly, but in TAR he has all sorts of powers to throw against her. It wouldn't make sense for her to give him a fighting chance like that.

Archived