DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sammuel and Taim

skalors3

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You missread that, they can't go through deathgates, but then again, nothing can.

Since you read KoD, you must have read previous books, remember when Mat and Aviendha got attacked?

Deathgates are just normal traveling gateways that move. Shadowspawn, and and other constructs, ie the Green Man, cannot pass through any gateway.

If deathgates were to be used against a human army, only those cut apart by the gateway would be harmed; those who passed through the gateway would be fine, assuming it didn't drop them in the middle of an ocean.

There are quotes in the books and more importantly from RJ, that said shadowspawn cannot use gateways.

One quick note on Taim/Demandred connection. At the end of WH, at the cleansing, Demandred does not recognize the Asha'man that attacks him. (i believe it was Flinn?) This at least weakens the case that Taim works for Demandred. (and shows conclusively in the books that Taim is not Demandred) Dem may have hooked up with Taim after Flinn left the BT or just may not spend much time around the AM but it seems less likely that Taim and Demandred are working together. (the dual set of orders for the attack on Rand in Cairhien are really confusing)

I kinda like the idea of Taim posing as Sammael. Not sure how likely it is but intriguing anyway. Amazing how this topic has gotten turned inside out.

I was merely trying to point out that the epilouge to KoD seems designed to cast doubt on who Taim has been working for/in conctact with. The use of Sammael's sigil, Moridin's colors, and Demandred's "Let the Lord of chaos rule." seemed liked not-too subtle clues either to confus us as to who Taim is working with, or to suggest that he was working with all of the last male forsaken. Now that I think about it, Taim resurfaced in Camelyn directly after Ravhin's death. Uhoh, I feel a theory coming on.

MAybe I'll post more when I've had time to think about it more.

Really? Ok' date=' please show quote from RJ.

Then also explain how Mat and Aviendha got atacked. Remember Mat found that branch/grass/twig that got chopped clean, as if from gateway.[/quote']

What attack are you talking about? I seem to remember a time Mat gets attacked by some dark friend aiel and finds evidence of a gateway. But its been a while since I read that part of the books.

The only attack on Matt that mentions a gateway involved men, not trollocs or Mydraal and happened on the way to Tear to lead the assault on Illian.

Not sure what attack with Aviendha you are referring to.

Edit: In KoD ch19, when Rand/LTT weave the deathgates the POV makes it clear that travelling kills shadowspawn. So while Fades could use shadows to move around, the Ways are the only method to move trollocs long distances quickly.

Archived