DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WOT audio series

HomelessHobbit

How many of you guys listen to the series on audio format? I for one don't have tons of time to sit down and read like i used too so while i commute and sometimes during work, I make use of my ipod. I also feel that the narrators do a wonderful job expressing the emotions throughout the entire books.

How about you guys?

I've recently bought the first 3 on audio book and the narrators are good, they just take a bit of getting used to. I'm an aussie so I was expecting american accents, but they seem to be speaking in high chant and it was off putting at first, over that though and saving up for the next one (I hate bills :biggrin: making me wait).

What format did you put it in to put on your ipod? I downloaded from it Audible to my laptop (not mac) and when I've since tried to send it to a device, the iphone 4 is not on the list of formats.

I've heard a couple of them. I think the voice acting is fantastic, and the performances honest to the books, though slightly altered.

I listen to a ton of audiobooks and one thing i like about the WOT audio is they have to narrators. It gets boring if i had to listen to one voice for 48 hrs lol.

I've been doing a reread and am using the Audiobooks in my offtime of reading. I like them for the most part, as they tend to show more of the emotion that I failed to catch during reading. It's a lot easier to interpret Rand's coldness when his voice sounds cold, and it's not just the book telling me so.

The only thing I have an issue with is some of the the pronunciations. I've heard Moghedien's name pronounced 3 different ways. I just wish they had a correct list of pronunciations.

I've been doing a reread and am using the Audiobooks in my offtime of reading. I like them for the most part, as they tend to show more of the emotion that I failed to catch during reading. It's a lot easier to interpret Rand's coldness when his voice sounds cold, and it's not just the book telling me so.

The only thing I have an issue with is some of the the pronunciations. I've heard Moghedien's name pronounced 3 different ways. I just wish they had a correct list of pronunciations.

The only way i've herd the pronunciation sounds like Mo-ged-ien so the 'h' is silent.

Im on book 9 so maybe they say it different in the later books?

Have you heard it like that?

I've both read and listened to the entire series. In my opinion you haven't "read" the Wheel of Time until you've done both.

There are so many things I picked up listening the the story that I missed when reading and vice versa.

Other things I noticed:

Egwene seems even more hypocritical in the audio version. At the same time, her battle in the Tower against the Seanchan was much more dramatic an awesome... the reader was fantastic during this part of TGS.

Perrin and Faile, have a little more humor to them (especially when together) than it appeared when reading.

Elayne, in the later books is slightly less boring.

Nyneave, in the early books is less annoying and more comedic. In the later books, she just becomes flat out awesome.

The only way i've herd the pronunciation sounds like Mo-ged-ien so the 'h' is silent.

I think I know which one your talking about. Phonetically, sounds like Mo-GID-ee-en with emphasis on the Gid part.

I've also heard Moge-HEED-en.

And Mo-Geh-DEEN .

I think I know which one your talking about. Phonetically, sounds like Mo-GID-ee-en with emphasis on the Gid part.

I've also heard Moge-HEED-en.

And Mo-Geh-DEEN .

Oh wow, now that you say something i have also heard the Mo-Geh-DEEN that you spoke of. I never even realized....funny.

and you did a better job but that is what i meant: "Mo-GID-ee-en"

I actually havent read any book in english xD

I think the audiobooks are great.

For a person who does not have english as their native tongue (me being swedish) I HIGHLY recommend having all 13 books in your Media player at all times like I have had. It has helped me with pronounciation, listening comprehension aswell as extending my vocabulary more then my entire highschool english education ever did.

I have also really come to love the narrotors interpretations of most of the characters, even though they might have had problems with name pronounciation during the first 5 books. I also FEEL more listening to the audiobooks then I ever did reading ( mayhap it was because I read them in swedish ).

It has even come to the point that I let a WOT audio book run while going to sleep. It is really relaxing when you can go to sleep without having to think about the everyday problems of your life, but instead slowly nod off to the sound of a familiar voice!

d(^^)b on the Mo gedd ee en mogge diin things btw xD

I think the two narrators both had one original interpretation of the name and that they later on perhaps discussed and settled on a third option lol!

I listen to the books all the time. Driving, running, cleaning, or just sitting around the house. On average, I'd say I listen to the books about 40 hours a week. I've gone through the series 20+ times. Best - thing - ever.

Dang 20x is crazy, i am still getting through my 1st run lol, but looking forward to finishing so i can re-read and catch the little things you miss when reading the books for the first time =)

Got a credit from Audible last night so I've downloaded TSR and am going to start it today when I do my housework. Having a bit of a spring clean so that will make it less tedious.

Does anyone else think that the audio versions take about 2-3 times as long to get through? Not that I'm complaining but I know that I can get through a book in about 15-17 hours when I actually read it.

Got a credit from Audible last night so I've downloaded TSR and am going to start it today when I do my housework. Having a bit of a spring clean so that will make it less tedious.

Does anyone else think that the audio versions take about 2-3 times as long to get through? Not that I'm complaining but I know that I can get through a book in about 15-17 hours when I actually read it.

yeah, it takes 2x as long for me bc i read faster (in my head) than i do the narrators. but my ipod touch has a button you can press and make the reading go double speed. i read some books like this becasue the narrator is just too slow for my liking.

yeah, it takes 2x as long for me bc i read faster (in my head) than i do the narrators. but my ipod touch has a button you can press and make the reading go double speed. i read some books like this becasue the narrator is just too slow for my liking.

I only worked out how to download them to my phone last night so I'll give that a try.

I only worked out how to download them to my phone last night so I'll give that a try. The voices don't end up sounding like chipmunks at double speed do they?

That was meant to be an edit, sorry. Clicked on the wrong button.

Michael Kramer and Ms. Reading (which is actually his wife) are by far the best narrators out there. I listen to about 1-2 books per week and I wish there were more non-fiction books by them (yes, I'm lucky to have a job that lets me to this at the moment; doesn't require a lot of thinking, unfortunatelyrolleyes.gif). The only drawback on listening audio books is that when you try to spell names you look like a complete idiot (this is from my personal experience too) rolleyes.gif

Archived