DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Red Ajah Autumn Fair - Autumn Discussion

Rhea

thanksgiving-bb.jpg

Autumn is by far my most favorite season. I know what I like the most about this season but I have so many it’s hard to chose just one. The holidays are great! Halloween is always fun, to dress up and scare the kiddos! And who doesn’t love Thanksgiving? Turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie! Then there’s football of course, and with three boys at home I get a lot of that! But I love the crisp clean air and the slanting light, especially in the late afternoon and bundling up with a blanket and book. Hot soups and stews, and having a fire in the stove, and of course the colors. We even drive to certain areas just to see the changing colors on the trees.

Those are a few of my favorite things about Autumn. What are yours?

Feel free to share pics and stories!

I love the colours of Autumn. They are my favourite. There used to be this road I drove down years ago, when I went to work. During this season, when all the leaves were chaging colour and the sun (at a lower angle) would shine through. It created something so glourious. I wish I could ahve taken pictures, but I don't think it would have picked up the glorious light.

I have to say, I don't particularly like Halloween...it's gimicky and a rip off...I don't mind yound kids dressing up and knocking on my door, as long as they have adults with them. WE don't really do that much with it here...thank goodness. However we do have bonfire night, November 5th. This reminds me of a kid on a cold November going to a local fire work display and bonfire. Smaller ones in pubs used to baked potatoes in the fire. Most years I try to get to a display. when I was really young, my Dad would do his own firework display in the garden...not quiet as good, lol...but they were fun, especially writing with the sparklers in the air!

What I love most is going horse riding through the fallen leaves! Just awesome... :happy:

I love the colours to bits, unfortunately we don't have that many around here (native NZ beech). But Dad planted some walnuts, etc. I really wanna go to Canada or someplace where there's whole forests of multicoloured trees...

I like Autumn more than Winter because you can still get around without having to worry about it raining/snowing all the time. Also, the animals get their winter fur and become even cuddlier! :biggrin: Goat kids in Autumn are so cute.

What's awesome at home apart from the fire in the wood oven, is that we resume Pizza Friday, and make pizza in the pizza oven every Friday, all through winter. Also, hot drinks, and board games with the family.

Tayla, I love Halloween! I have always dressed up and we usually have a party for our friends and family. I let my kids go trick-o-treat but I replace all the candy they bring home with my own. I don't trust people!

I completely know what you mean about the angle of the sun and the light through the tress with all the autumn colors. It's magical.

Nya, I love riding horses in through the fallen leaves. Especially early in the morning when it's still dewy and crisp! You don't have to go all the way to Canada. You can come here! I should take a picture of the leaves right now in my yard (well not this minute cuz it's dark outside) they are gorgeous. We have mostly maple trees and we have the most fun raking them into piles and jumping and rolling around in them.

What board games do you play?

Rhea. It's not big over here, apart from supermarkets making it bigger. When we do anything about halloween, it's about the kids, adults don't do anything mostly! It's something that has been imported from you guys, and it doesn't always go down well. There usually end up with a lot of public order behaviour with teens throwing eggs and flour at old peoples houses or on cars (and it can damage the paint work) . We have other traditions that I would prefer we keep. It wouldn't be good if we all did the same thing the world over. It's great to have those differences.

Where do you live?

I love to dress up, not just for Halloween either. I love to dress up for the Renaissance Festival and when I am in plays or other things that get me into a costume. I think it's fun to create different costumes too and I have fun making costumes for my kids. It funny to me though because we wouldn't have Halloween in the US if it hadn't been brought here by immigrants from Europe. I know the US has commercialized it just like every other holiday which I do not approve of, that is why I try to keep it more traditional in my home.

Here is some History of Halloween. I thought this was interesting.

My link

Ahh...silly! I think you ninja'd me! I know where YOU live!!!

*giggles hysterically*

I was asking Tayla where she lives.

*hugs my sissy*

We don't have Halloween here either (South Africa). Besides, our autumn is from March to May :biggrin:

To me the best thing about autumn is that special day you sometimes get, where the weather is just perfect: there's no wind but the air is clean, it's not too hot or too cold, the sun is shining but not unpleasantly, the leaves are all those beautiful colours. It's ... still. Without movement. Like this perfect, timeless snapshot of a perfect day. You could have been asleep for a hundred years but if you woke up on a day like that, you would know it's autumn.

Archived