DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Amol next month

Ashaman Ryel

November was an estimate from before Brandon began. Since then Harriet has asked for more time to be spent on the editing process due to the large amount of continuity mistakes and typos in TofM, and Brandon now estimates November 2012, with the hope at maybe sooner.

November was an estimate from before Brandon began. Since then Harriet has asked for more time to be spent on the editing process due to the large amount of continuity mistakes and typos in TofM, and Brandon now estimates November 2012, with the hope at maybe sooner.

Sorry, November?! I was under the impression the estimated completion date including editing was around next Easter?

Or are they actually planning on 6 months editing time?

Sorry, November?! I was under the impression the estimated completion date including editing was around next Easter?

Or are they actually planning on 6 months editing time?

We're talking a long time ago--before he even began writing. And I hope they're planning on six months editing time. They sure need it.

Can they not first publish a version that still has spelling mistakes? Maybe make it somewhat cheaper... And then they go editing, removing all kind of small things, but then we have read it already.

Yes, that's a good idea. *nods*

Can they not first publish a version that still has spelling mistakes? Maybe make it somewhat cheaper... And then they go editing, removing all kind of small things, but then we have read it already.

Yes, that's a good idea. *nods*

That's the part of the editing that only takes like, a couple of days or something. Brandon has to complete his first draft, and then they will spend a lot of time polishing it, making sure everything is cannon etc.

I am totally excited that Brandon keeps a progress bar on his works. I watch it as best I can.. But hearing the progress on Twitter is really the best. I enjoy the way he is in touch with the reader base. I hate to be picky, but I would love to see AMoL before the supposed apocalypse!

Regarding misconceptions of AMoL release dates.. It amazes me the number of people that are still hearing about the Nov. 2012 release for the fist time! Of course, the book's been split into three and delayed, so people are tired of waiting. But I guess posts like this will trickle and then "where is AMOL?" will flood come next summer.

The misconceptions of Brandon's progress bar are interesting.. and people should not use it to defend their hopes that they'll see it before summer 12.

I am not sure about too many people around here, but in college, I wrote a lot of papers. To finish my BA I had to do a "long" paper of some kind (research, theory, whatever). I BUSTED out my first draft... before mid-semester. It's a first draft. Getting this part of the project done, is a very big deal, yes. It's a LOT of work. But it's maybe half the work. My first draft was a well-drafted, yet still rough, 40-something pages. When I turned in my polished draft at the end of the semester, it was 61 pages. The changes to take a draft on a project THAT large was more than just "spelling edits." Then again, I was awarded Distinction in my major, so maybe I have a better grip on things than the average.. bear.

Now we're talking about something that's on the scale of AMoL. Not just sheer volume. The weight the final novel carries with it... I don't think anyone could reasonably want to see a product that hasn't passed all of the possible quality checks before we shut the door!

And if you actually pay attention to what Brandon says (and I think you should, because it's very interesting), he's writing "through-lines" right now, which is one character's POV from a certain point to a certain point (there are no beginnings nor endings..). Tens of thousands of words at a time of one character. Obviously that's not how a WoT book goes. Imagine all the placement and ordering that has to be done. Imagine what moving one POV does to others around it, and the logistics required to make it work.

So in addition to the drafting, redrafting, editing, team editing, and redrafting processes, we have AMoL's unique situation involving timelines that don't match up, because of the many POVs that need to be given a proper ending. The through-lines should be able to help line everything up very nicely so that it reads well. I can only imagine the editing software being used, but this must be a totally cool process. And the perks are totally needed here.

My support goes to Brandon and Team Jordan and everyone involved who is still devoting their time to finish the story that a great man imagined the ending of, so long ago...

And what's left (hehe) goes to the fandom that keeps it fun and alive in the meantime.

Just my two cents..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived