DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand thought he was a weapon....

MarkDiLillo

So what actually is he? I assume the reasoning behind this statement is that he had always assumed he was going to come face to face and have to battle the DO, but now realizes that his purpose is something different than simply fighting the DO and dying to win. He also states that the Asha'man aren't weapons either. Has anyone dug into this a little bit more? It seems important and overlooked.

He is a man and as such is different from a weapon - mainly (for the point of this metaphor) in that he has feelings. Most of the story he was pretty one dimensional in his purpose (duty told him he had to die at shayol ghul so that is what he was going to do) but now there is an actual "why" behind the reason he is fighting.

He is a man and as such is different from a weapon - mainly (for the point of this metaphor) in that he has feelings. Most of the story he was pretty one dimensional in his purpose (duty told him he had to die at shayol ghul so that is what he was going to do) but now there is an actual "why" behind the reason he is fighting.

I was wondering if there is more to it than that actually. I was starting to theorize that maybe Rand's purpose is not to kill the DO, but his purpose is to bring everyone together and show them the light so to speak so that they can get the job done. Notice how the entire series nobody has been focused on the last battle but Rand for the most part. What if when he dies theres a big moment where everyone kind of wakes up and realizes that they have let him down and theyre in trouble, etc. Rand's purpose and death is not to "kill the DO", but more to wake everyone up and unite them.

This could tie into Logain's glory even. At the end of the day, the Dragon united the world and lead them against the DO...but Logain and the Asha'man did the fighting and sealed the shadow from the world. Hence his glory. Idk...just randomly throwing some thoughts out there.

IMO the weapon vs non-weapon thing is about his will affecting the Pattern and the damaging effect he can have/has had. Early on he began to root out his emotions, but without human emotion there is no backup strength, no reserve of willpower, meaning at some point (ie TGS) he was bound to go uber dark, and thus, doomed to bring about his own breaking just by existing. The link to Moridin played a big part as well obviously, but that has little to do with Rands sword philosophies.

What is Rand? Hes just a man like every other. The most powerful, purpose-built man ever to exist, but just a man nontheless.

Guest PiotrekS

I think he is not a weapon, but a shield. His purpose is not to kill the DO, but to protect the world and all the living creatures. He's the protector, not the killer.

I think the reason of the statement made by ran, "..we're not weapons.." is because when he formed the black tower and asha man he told Taim to train them very hard and quickly. Rand saw the male channelers as his weopan.

A lot of that had to do with the taint on Saidin. Rand, like everyone else, knew that eventually they would all go mad again and had to become weapons hard and fast before that happened. Once a man starts channeling, their future becomes pretty bleak.

Once the taint was cleansed and Saidin pure again, things are slowly starting to change for all the Asha'man, as evidenced by Grady's recent comments with Perrin.

They are starting to realise they do indeed have a future and no longer have to fight for others futures only. They are now fighting for their own futures as well.

They are no longer just a sword or crossbow to be discarded or thrown away after the fighting is done.

So what actually is he? I assume the reasoning behind this statement is that he had always assumed he was going to come face to face and have to battle the DO, but now realizes that his purpose is something different than simply fighting the DO and dying to win. He also states that the Asha'man aren't weapons either. Has anyone dug into this a little bit more? It seems important and overlooked.

Haven't worked out the multi quote function so here is the copy/paste version:

PiotrekS

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

I think he is not a weapon, but a shield. His purpose is not to kill the DO, but to protect the world and all the living creatures. He's the protector, not the killer.

Both on the money at my booker's stand. The others will hold the Dark One while Rand sacrifices himself to create a new prison (shield) around the DO keeping him out of the Pattern and unable to influence it until the Bore is once again drilled by a self-serving, power hungry AS. Min will have worked this out and told Rand before he smashes the Seals.

He is a man...

a man in tights.

He roams around the forest looking for fights.

He's a man, a man in tights.

He robs from the rich and gives to the poor, that's right!

He may look like a sissy, but watch what you say or else he'll put out your lights!

Always on guard defending the people's rights.

[Dance number, chorus line style]

He's a man, MANLY man, he's a man in tights. Yeah!

He may look like a pansy, but don't get him wrong or else he'll put out your lights.

He's a man, a man in tights.(TIGHT tights),

When you're in a fix just call for the man in tights!

He's butch.

He is a man...

a man in tights.

He may look like a sissy, but watch what you say or else he'll put out your lights!

[Dance number, chorus line style]

He's a man, MANLY man, he's a man in tights. Yeah!

He may look like a pansy, but don't get him wrong or else he'll put out your lights.

He's a man, a man in tights.(TIGHT tights),

When you're in a fix just call for the man in tights!

He's butch.

LOL!!!! I just got the image of Rand, Mat and Perrin singing and dancing to this!!! GIVE US A BREAK MEL BROOKS!!!!!!!!

A.

A lot of that had to do with the taint on Saidin. Rand, like everyone else, knew that eventually they would all go mad again and had to become weapons hard and fast before that happened. Once a man starts channeling, their future becomes pretty bleak.

Once the taint was cleansed and Saidin pure again, things are slowly starting to change for all the Asha'man, as evidenced by Grady's recent comments with Perrin.

They are starting to realise they do indeed have a future and no longer have to fight for others futures only. They are now fighting for their own futures as well.

They are no longer just a sword or crossbow to be discarded or thrown away after the fighting is done.

Excellent point! If the A'M had not made this realization, the end of the LB would be bleak even with victory. Notice also Deepe Bhadar (love this character; hope to see more of him in a peg-leg) takes an honorable pride in his title. Even when the BT was first formed, many of the men reflected upon the meaning of "Asha'man". This was foreshadowing of Rand's transformation/realization.

Personally, I think that he's a banner. It's around him that the forces of Light will gather and rally.

And he's a sacrifice...

I agree.

I am starting to think that his death in the last book is going to serve as the action to unify the world. Everyone will wake up and go "oh shit..." and get their act together. Stop plotting against one another and realize that the last battle is about to happen and THEY failed the Dragon Reborn by squabbling and fighting over unimportant everyday events.

Archived