DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Lands Beyond.

Meow

Hi, I was having a look at the map for Randland, and was thinking that maybe some of the other lands that haven't really been included in the story as much as Randland, should be featured a bit more, personally I really would love to hear more about Shara and the Seanchan empire.

I'm intrigued by the 'Land of Madmen'. Is this just a place where they don't kill off their male channellers but just let 'natural wastage' take its course, which seems pretty mad in itself? Or is it a place where the customs are so different that visitors can't make head or tale of them? 'These LoMers are crazy'..

I'd say the involvement of either is fairly unlikely--there's simply not enough time left to fully develop a new society (the Aiel Instant Army took two of the largest books in the series with frequent earlier mentions). I like the idea of the Demandred-induced Sharan invasion of the Waste as a bid to draw the Aiel away from Tarmon Gai'don, but in such an scenario I don't think we'd ever really see the Sharans--it'd be all about the Aiel's reaction, perhaps deciding to let holds fall in order for the Clans to be there to spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.

The Land of the Madmen always sounded a little like a smokescreen to me--like, maybe the society there isn't as mad as it seems, but puts on the front to keep others away from them, or something like that. The problem with this is that again you couldn't really develop a true culture for them in the space remaining--it could be like the Amayar cameo in KoD, perhaps.

The other option is possibly that could be a staging area for the Dreadlords--we know Ishamael organised the gathering and training of channelers during the Trolloc Wars, and there is some evidence in Taim and Liandrin that suggests this has occured once more, ion which case they would need to be kept some place. The Blight makes more sense, but the smokescreen element of the mystique of the Land of the Madmen may make this possible.

There are very few references to them, mainly the BWB and TOM when Rand asks the sea folk woman what they do with male channelers. There is more reference to Sharans spread out over many books, so if a new 'culture' is introduced, then it will most likely be the Sharans and not the Land of the Madmen. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a recruiting mission sent there now that Rand is aware of it.

I'm intrigued by the 'Land of Madmen'. Is this just a place where they don't kill off their male channellers but just let 'natural wastage' take its course, which seems pretty mad in itself? Or is it a place where the customs are so different that visitors can't make head or tale of them? 'These LoMers are crazy'..

Great Asterix quote :)

Obelix vs Lan. lol

The other option is possibly that could be a staging area for the Dreadlords--we know Ishamael organised the gathering and training of channelers during the Trolloc Wars, and there is some evidence in Taim and Liandrin that suggests this has occured once more, ion which case they would need to be kept some place. The Blight makes more sense, but the smokescreen element of the mystique of the Land of the Madmen may make this possible.

Maybe..

There's a waygate (or something else?) to the Land of the Madmen in the blight...?

Crazier than Ebou Dar? Wow, that makes me wish it wasn't so left out.

From the guidebook, the Land of the Madmen is an island-continent far to the south of the Sea of Storms. It never recovered from the Breaking because it reverted to complete barbarism and male channellers, many of them insane, are left unchecked there. The Sea Folk have tried several times to land on its coasts only to be met with hostility, so have basically declared the whole continent off-limits to travellers.

From the world map in the guidebook, the Land of the Madmen is quite blatantly Australia, its shape left less changed than the other continents, presumably due to its extreme distance from Shayol Ghul and the epicentre of the Breaking :)

Maybe..

There's a waygate (or something else?) to the Land of the Madmen in the blight...?

So technically there could be a southern invasion of Illian/Ebou Dar in the last battle.

And I was thinking that maybe Brandon Sanderson would carry on/write some spin offs to the main story that encompasses a wider area, i.e, The travels of Jain Farstrider.

Maybe..

So technically there could be a southern invasion of Illian/Ebou Dar in the last battle.

And I was thinking that maybe Brandon Sanderson would carry on/write some spin offs to the main story that encompasses a wider area, i.e, The travels of Jain Farstrider.

Pretty sure I've heard that's definitely not going to happen. I think it would be great, though. I can think of 10,000 things I wanna see more of.

Yeah, or maybe the original Lews Therin, Age of legends story?

That would be extremely interesting.

Definitly not going to happen.

Only books that has even the slightest chance of ever being written are the two remaining prequels, and the outriggers about Mat and Tuon ten years after TG. And frankly, England has a greater chance at winning the football world cup in 2014 than any of those books has at ever being written.

Great Asterix quote :)

Obelix vs Lan. lol

:wink::wink:

Yeah, or maybe the original Lews Therin, Age of legends story?

That would be extremely interesting.

Definitly not going to happen.

Only books that has even the slightest chance of ever being written are the two remaining prequels, and the outriggers about Mat and Tuon ten years after TG. And frankly, England has a greater chance at winning the football world cup in 2014 than any of those books has at ever being written.

and the 2018 2022 2026 2030.... you know where im going. And im an English football fan :(

back to the topic. I cant see the LoM bein introduced in the last book. not enough time to introduce a new culture. would be way too rushed

Archived