DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Predictions from left field

TLHansum

Isn't that what Tuon did with Joline, actually channel through her? I don't have the book with me, but I remember that it struck me that she seemed to be actually doing the channelling herself instead of ordering Joline to do it, like suldam are supposed to do.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't that what Tuon did with Joline, actually channel through her? I don't have the book with me, but I remember that it struck me that she seemed to be actually doing the channelling herself instead of ordering Joline to do it, like suldam are supposed to do.

Yes Tuon is very skilled. She can fully see the weaves and actually channel through the damane. That is why people think the adam has a chance to hold her. On the flip side of that, no matter how skilled she is, it was still a hobby. She wasn't a full time suldam so she may not have worked enough to be held.

How is Tuon going to develop into an uber channeler in the time-frame available?

Because she has already been practicing for years. Also, I'm not saying it's going to happen...just that it's entirely possible. Again, she already teaches weaves to her damane. She knows how to channel.

I think your getting something wrong here, Sul'dam don't actually ever touch the source or channel, they control the channeling of the damane they are attached to.

Again, some sul'dam are more skilled than others, and they actually channel using the damane's power rather than telling the damane what to do. Again, this is what Nynaeve did with Moghedien.

If it were the Sul'dam actually doing the channeling, they would be collared, Nynaeve and Moghedien are a different case since Nynaeve can channel herself. Although i'm not convinced that it was actually Nynaeve who was doing the channeling when she had Moghedien collared, if you have a quote..? I recall something about there being difficulty with learning some things from Moghedien because Moghedien had to do the channeling, but Nynaeve was the one who had to control what she did with the power. Although that period of time is not fresh with me, im up to book 4 which is well before that but it's a long time since I read it previously. But I go off topic, my point is if Sul'dam actually did channel, other damane around them would be like what the fuu..? why is she not collared like us?

If it were the Sul'dam actually doing the channeling, they would be collared

And some of them have been.

if you have a quote..?

I do, but I'm lazy, and it doesn't seem worth the effort since you've already got your mind made up.

Yes Tuon is very skilled. She can fully see the weaves and actually channel through the damane. That is why people think the adam has a chance to hold her. On the flip side of that, no matter how skilled she is, it was still a hobby. She wasn't a full time suldam so she may not have worked enough to be held.

Also, I am not sure I agree with this one, at least not completely, she is very skilled, but that is because she is very intelligent and strong willed, so has a natural ability to be a sul'dam, your right it's just a hobby to her therefore she wouldn't have worked long enough at it that she would see flows, and most likely would not be able to be collared. I would say the ability to be collared comes with the seeing of flows.

How is Tuon going to develop into an uber channeler in the time-frame available?

Because she has already been practicing for years. Also, I'm not saying it's going to happen...just that it's entirely possible. Again, she already teaches weaves to her damane. She knows how to channel.

I think your getting something wrong here, Sul'dam don't actually ever touch the source or channel, they control the channeling of the damane they are attached to.

Again, some sul'dam are more skilled than others, and they actually channel using the damane's power rather than telling the damane what to do. Again, this is what Nynaeve did with Moghedien.

If it were the Sul'dam actually doing the channeling, they would be collared, Nynaeve and Moghedien are a different case since Nynaeve can channel herself. Although i'm not convinced that it was actually Nynaeve who was doing the channeling when she had Moghedien collared, if you have a quote..? I recall something about there being difficulty with learning some things from Moghedien because Moghedien had to do the channeling, but Nynaeve was the one who had to control what she did with the power. Although that period of time is not fresh with me, im up to book 4 which is well before that but it's a long time since I read it previously. But I go off topic, my point is if Sul'dam actually did channel, other damane around them would be like what the fuu..? why is she not collared like us?

Well, it's not like the sul'dam are actually weilding the Power, that's still the damane's doing, but my point is that there was a sharp difference between when Egwene was collared and when Joline was. Egwene had to do the weaving herself, and she could refuse, although she would be punished for doing so. Her sul'dam couldn't make her weave whatever she chose against her will. Tuon, on the other hand, seemed to be doing just that. A bit like when Rand was collared and Semirhage controlled him completely. The a'dam is not supposed to work that way, you can inflict pain and prevent the damane from channelling, but you can't make her channel against her will, and you can't control the channelling yourself. There's a reason why in battles, sul'dam are seen pointing at a place just before it explodes. They are ordering the damane, but it's the damane doing the channelling. What Tuon did was different. She made Joline channel exactly the way she wanted her to, and Joline had no control over what was happening. So, as has been argued before, Tuon already knows how to channel. She knows the weaves, that's why she can make Joline form them.

Well, it's not like the sul'dam are actually weilding the Power, that's still the damane's doing, but my point is that there was a sharp difference between when Egwene was collared and when Joline was. Egwene had to do the weaving herself, and she could refuse, although she would be punished for doing so. Her sul'dam couldn't make her weave whatever she chose against her will. Tuon, on the other hand, seemed to be doing just that. A bit like when Rand was collared and Semirhage controlled him completely. The a'dam is not supposed to work that way, you can inflict pain and prevent the damane from channelling, but you can't make her channel against her will, and you can't control the channelling yourself. There's a reason why in battles, sul'dam are seen pointing at a place just before it explodes. They are ordering the damane, but it's the damane doing the channelling. What Tuon did was different. She made Joline channel exactly the way she wanted her to, and Joline had no control over what was happening. So, as has been argued before, Tuon already knows how to channel. She knows the weaves, that's why she can make Joline form them.

Well, I agree, but I think all Sul'dam know the weaves, but anyway, i cbf continuing on with this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

My current outlandish prediction: Min will try to kill Rand. She might even succeed.

From early on in the series, Rand has said that he can't imagine Min trying to hurt him, and he knows that if there's one person in the world he can trust, it's Min. The thought showed up in The Dragon Reborn, Lord of Chaos, The Gathering Storm, and likely other books as well. It's been repeated so many times, it feels to me like a plot point just waiting to be referenced. Perhaps it's just that Rand will revert to DarkRand in the Pit of Doom, and Min will be able to bring him out of it and get him back on track, maybe.

Maybe.

But I like the idea that Min will be under compulsion, or that Min is a sleeper agent (like Boomer in BSG). For Rand, a knife from Min would hurt more than the wounds in his side.

I'd be dissapointed if anyone but Nyneave finished off Mogheidien, tbh.

Fair enough. Let's say Cyndane, then. Or Graendal. There aren't many female Forsaken choices left, unfortunately... (also, i wasn't actually serious)

Hopefire: That would break my heart.

My current outlandish prediction: Min will try to kill Rand. She might even succeed.

From early on in the series, Rand has said that he can't imagine Min trying to hurt him, and he knows that if there's one person in the world he can trust, it's Min. The thought showed up in The Dragon Reborn, Lord of Chaos, The Gathering Storm, and likely other books as well. It's been repeated so many times, it feels to me like a plot point just waiting to be referenced. Perhaps it's just that Rand will revert to DarkRand in the Pit of Doom, and Min will be able to bring him out of it and get him back on track, maybe.

Maybe.

But I like the idea that Min will be under compulsion, or that Min is a sleeper agent (like Boomer in BSG). For Rand, a knife from Min would hurt more than the wounds in his side.

Chekov's Gun..? see:

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/63006-stuff-brandon-says/page__st__80

Post #87 et seq.

I had a few thoughts about Min myself; see my post #112 in that thread.

Early on in EotW, wasn't there something said about Tam saying that Rand got his hair colour (the reddish tint) from her (Kari)?

Yes, Kari is always described as having red hair and gray eyes, which is strange, even for an Andoran. Most of them have blond hair, or with a little red tinge in it, but never red.

But, except the eyes and hair, they never connect her with the Aiel.

There's a note in the EncWoT entry for Kari al'Thor aboout her eyes:

'Early editions of TEotW give her eye color as "dark." In later editions this is changed to "gray." '

This might just be because, genetically, dark eyes do not usually go with red or blond hair; the eyes are more likely to be blue, green, or grey. (My own family has red hair/blue eyes in it, and it's re-appeared in my great-niece.) You can have dark hair with light eyes, which is Rand's colouring; in LoC 1 his hair is described as 'dark, reddish'. And his light eyes are unusual in the TR.

Or it might just be that RJ decided she was Aiel.. :wink:

PS : I'm sure that someone has traced the Royal line of Andor back to the Aiel.. now where did I see that? Must hunt it out.

PS : I'm sure that someone has traced the Royal line of Andor back to the Aiel.. now where did I see that? Must hunt it out.

I agree. I can't remember where to find the quote exactly, but it showed up more than once in the books I think, that the Andorans are thought to have Aiel blood (or was it just the Trakands? Anyway, something like that).

I agree. I can't remember where to find the quote exactly, but it showed up more than once in the books I think, that the Andorans are thought to have Aiel blood (or was it just the Trakands? Anyway, something like that).

Found it. It was Ishara, who may be descended from Rhea, one of Rand's ancestors:

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Ishara_Casalain

Found it. It was Ishara, who may be descended from Rhea, one of Rand's ancestors:

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Ishara_Casalain

WoT Wiki has some very odd notions that are often unsupported. Wonder who in the fandom works on it?

I guess I found the answer to my question the Rhea article at the WoT Wiki:

"Rhea is most likely a reference to the Greek goddess Rhea, known as the mother of the gods, and notably as the mother of Zeus. Rhea is most often portrayed as sitting on a throne flanked by two lions, or on a chariot pulled by two lions. The first has a parallel in the Lion Throne, and the second is a reference to the personal banner of Tuon. It can be reasonably determined that Ishara was directly descended from Rhea."

The evidence is extremely weak, to put it mildly.

Ive been thinking that it will be Cadsuane who will forswear the 3 oaths and go to the Kin first. Romanda is the only other Aes Sedai that we know who is close to expiring age (both have retired at one point), yet Romanda has already said she would never forswear.

Archived