DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cadsuane and the Sisters at the Silver Swan

Luckers

I mentioned a while back that I thought Cadsuane was in control of the sisters at the Silver Swan, and was asked by wipe for a layout of the situation as I saw it, so this is that--done quick unfortunately, but hopefully it will hold muster.

Firstly, quick run up... there are a group of Aes Sedai staying at the Silver Swan in Caemlyn. They are never identified with the exception of Amylia, the Brown sister who ends up with the Sea Folk. They change numbers often--some will leave, and new sisters will join. There are not, and have never been any Reds amongst their number, and very little is know about their intention other than that they seem to be gathering information (they visit with one of Demira's eyes and ears). So here is what I got, beyond that.

In WH; 13, Wonderful News, Cadsuane states that the second she had word of Rand's existance and activity in Shienar that she 'began gathering sisters she trusted'.

In aCoS; 19, Diamonds and Stars, Cadsuane states that there had been other Aes Sedai with her at Arilyn's palace before she 'sent them on'. It's implied Cadsuane did not like these sisters, and sent them on because they irritated her, yet the phrasing is odd, as if she sent them somewhere specific. Though again, it could just mean they annoyed her and she made them leave.

Meanwhile, at the Silver Swan, sisters are constantly coming and going--some come for each that leave. Furthermore in CoT; 12, a Bargain, one of Elayne's spies overhears the sisters at the Silver Swan use Cadsuane's name.

My guess is that these are taking direction from Cadsuane, whether they are the sisters she trusts, or those that irritated her and she sent on. As for their purpose... my guess is they were Cadsuane's safety net, which she set up due to the split. Cadsuane didn't like leaving the world to its own devices whilst the the Tower squabled, and so she circumvented the whole issue by creating a Tower-in-Absense.

Organised loosely, directed by her--again loosely, the whole purpose being simply to ensure sisters were still around to do what was needful despite the pre-occupation of the Tower as a whole.

In aCoS; 19, Diamonds and Stars, Cadsuane states that there had been other Aes Sedai with her at Arilyn's palace before she 'sent them on'. It's implied Cadsuane did not like these sisters, and sent them on because they irritated her, yet the phrasing is odd, as if she sent them somewhere specific. Though again, it could just mean they annoyed her and she made them leave.

I've just looked up this passage, and it reads:

..they knew her well enough by now not to disturb her with chatter, which could not be said of all those who paused a few days at Arilyn's little palace before she sent them on.

Because of that word 'paused', this suggests to me that the sisters in question had stopped to report to Cadsuane about whatever it was they were doing, and then were sent on their way to continue that activity. The comment about disturbing her with chatter may just have been that their reports were not as concise and to the point as she would have wished.

I tend to agree. About a third of the sisters weren't affiliated with either side in the split. We also have this comment by Merise:

I will stand with no sister who wishes to contend against other sisters while the world hangs in the balance.

So I always believed many of those missing AS were handling the world's affairs (as best they can) and preparing for TG, perhaps under Cadsuane's influence.

This is reminiscent of the purple Ajah theory, back in the day when there was an analysis of the two Halls and how together the two halls had the same number of "experienced" Aes Sedai as a single hall, and that someone had organized which side certain sisters had chosen and was setting them up so that a merge would be smooth, because you just boot out the newbies and voila. Cads was a pretty top suspect for that one too.

Sadly nothing so cloak-and-dagger seemed to have taking place, but it was a cool theory. As for this one, I see no reason it couldn't be true. And the 'gathering Aes Sedai she trusts' portion does seem to suggest she should have her own dedicated posse somewhere.

But what exactly are those sisters at the Silver Swan doing? They're not talking to Elayne, or any of the sisters with her, which is rather suspicious.

That's the thing about neutrals - you know where you stand with an enemy, but with neutrals you don't know whose side they're on. My guess is they didn't make contact with Elayne and the Palace because they didn't particularly want to be drawn into the WT conflict. As to why they didn't make contact with Elayne after receiving word of the end of the conflict, it could be they're waiting for further orders, or are just uncertain how to proceed.

But what exactly are those sisters at the Silver Swan doing? They're not talking to Elayne, or any of the sisters with her, which is rather suspicious.

That's the thing about neutrals - you know where you stand with an enemy, but with neutrals you don't know whose side they're on. My guess is they didn't make contact with Elayne and the Palace because they didn't particularly want to be drawn into the WT conflict. As to why they didn't make contact with Elayne after receiving word of the end of the conflict, it could be they're waiting for further orders, or are just uncertain how to proceed.

So they're just sitting there, being ... neutral? Somehow I don't see Cads sending a bunch of numbnuts out to just sit and do absolutely nothing.

Also, why are there always the exact same amount of them?

Sadly nothing so cloak-and-dagger seemed to have taking place

Of course it did. The culprits were just an unexpected bunch (though all those hints that the Ajah heads were talking in secret should've allowed us to speculate correctly after KoD).

If they are Cadsuane's crew, they might be very important in the upcoming book, seeing that Caemlyn is under attack with "all" it's defenders gone. This is why I wanted to see what Luckers had to say about them (and I really appreciate all of the other comments as well). I feel they have been a sleeper in the debate for to long, but have been mentioned numerous times. They must have an important role to play yet. It has bugged me since Elayne chickened out and didn't want to go seek them out (or were adviced not to). My my est5imates they are still in town, even with all the others gone.

Thanks Luckers, I needed a big name :smile: :smile: :smile: to get this discussion started.

http://www.gotfuturama.com/Multimedia/EpisodeSounds/2ACV02/ Quotes 3 and 7. I know it's scary when Mr Ares makes a pop culture reference :)

Hmm. The Silver Swan posse is first noticed in book 8ish (when Elayne returns to Caemlyn)?

Oooh. Found something new. The sisters are first referenced in aCoS chapter 7. Curiously, this is just prior to Cadsuane's appearence in aCoS chapter 18. (Chronologically, Rand gets told of the sisters at the silver swan 2 days prior to meeting Cadsuane).

• 3 weeks later...

Surely the shadow knows that they're there though, and that there are (as far as we know) no black sister's among them. They must have some kind of contingency plan to deal with them.

Even if Taim can't send some men there for some reason, there are plenty of other options. Darkfriends, Gray Men, Myrddraal, even Slayer.

• 1 year later...

Archived