DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

(Moved from Tinker DG) Welcome to our Fires!

Charis alAslan

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

b/c I read somewhere that it was sung by a whole choir of people, ogiers and aiel and greemen and some other species that died out durign the Breaking. I put in my bio I heard legends of that from a stray Ogier that visited our caravan and I'm setting out towards the Waste and Steddings to gather more information from them to see if it's true.

wait... now that I put it that way, it's all a hit and miss thing, really so it doens't ahve to be true or not. oh well, forget I said I had to edit it, lol I got myself confused

It was sung that way before the Breaking. To learn more about it, check out the middle chapters of the Shadow Rising :) Since the Breaking, Ogier and Green Men have been the only ones able to Treesing, which I imagine is the remnant of the Age of Legends singing.

oh, which I have an aiel character that is an Accepted (White Aspie) that has a Talent of Earthsinging of a different nature. she can make even grass and flowers grow in the Waste when she sang and used a certain spirit-water-earth weave that no one else can duplicate. I got the idea from The Song :) she's just a little more down to earth than any other aiel so is a little more in tune with nature (especially since she's a wolfsister) but very bright so is going White. besides, it's the closest thign to a Wise One that the mainland has b/c she can't go back to the Waste now that she's decided to go all the way to Aes Sedai

• 2 weeks later...

I know WoTRP.net at least has a talent called the Voice which is similar to that, it's like a version of Treesinging that modern channelers in their RP can use. One of my old characters there had that Talent :) Some RPs based in modern Randland are coming out with similar things since a lot of the "old" things (like balefire, walking with the wolves, etc.) are resurging :)

Running with the wolves is a little older than balefire. *look*

In one sense, yes, this is the song the Tinkers are looking for. But in another sense. . . I don't think they'd be satisfied with that any more, if they found it. After all, the Song is supposed to bring peace to the world. . . .

*nods* But I think in a way that that Song does. I mean, the Da'shain were highly respected and were a very influential peaceful force in the world before the Breaking. Maybe it will not be the way they think it will. Just because the Song is not necessarily exactly the way their preconceived notions of it are doesn't mean it doesn't exist :) And the form of this that they are trying to find might not be exactly the same form of the Ogier and the Voice Talent, either, anymore...but it could be related. Argh, it's late and I'm tired and making no sense :P

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Revivimg this if there are any Tinkers around about.

The song will not bring peace but possibly the way it was sung would be a refuge to the tinker people, i.e. they seem despised by most people, as in the two rivers folk etc, and the way the seed song of the AoL was sung they would form a vital part of the community. They would be with the ogier ad Nym and aes sedai and respected by mankind in general for their usefull skill which has a benefit to the world. the song it'self therefore might satisfy them but i beleive that the do indeed seek a place of safety as well although they are the most courageous people in the world.

Hi, Carai!

I personally think that the Aiel got the courage portion of the bargain. In the pillars of Rhuidean, Rand heard of the Da'shain who surrounded and sang to restore the mind to one of the mad Aes Sedai, even while he killed them. Today, Tinkers run away from danger, and it's something to not strike back. But the Da'shain didn't flee at all, and today it is the Aiel who still carry the courage and fearlessness of the Da'shain. Both have a virtue, but neither is what it was.

Hey william, good to see tinkers are alive an well,

yeh I take your point, but perrin states at some point, (KoD i think) that the tinkers would take two river's children to try and save them even though it would slow them and likely lead to their own death. The Da'shain were more courageous but not striking back when under attack is true courage or fearlessness like the Da'shain, who did not run either.

Maybe if the tinkers find the song they will be able to do something crazy like sing more greenmen into existance to help restore the world...

maybe if rand breaks the world maybe the tinkers help remake it so it's not a horiable breaking this time, but one that brings peace to all the lands

maybe if rand breaks the world maybe the tinkers help remake it so it's not a horiable breaking this time, but one that brings peace to all the lands.

possible tathel, an this could well be the tinker role in the age to come, however i'am doubtful that greenmen can be revived as most sources indicate they were created by Aes Sedai as some kind of ter'angreal,,,, so. However the tinker or replacement of the Dai'shain Aiel could have a vital role after The Last Battle, touch wood, fingers crossed.

I suppose war will continue, or fighting at least untill; men think there is no longer something worth dieing for except to maintain peace by non-vilence ala the Da'shaine Aiel.

If I was a two rivers man with a small, picture perfect cottage, thatch roof, wife, children. Living a relaxed farming life, popping down t'Inn for a drink an' gossip. Is that something worth fighting for? Possibly not, but if I had that I would not want to loose it just to run and have to start again and again.The tinkers move constantly and tie themselves to nothing, but is that for everyone? There's then an issue:(for me) should you expect your children to die, possibably when they are to young to understand, and is it possible to watch loved ones die?

For the majority of people I'd say, not.

The war on terror is about attempting to preserve our society, just as WWI was and WW2.

However I do think we will develope a much more peacful society as time passes and people think more, but definatly we are a long way from it at present.

This post is getting a mite long an going AWOl so,

Lastly is it possible not to fight at some points? I mean the horror of WW2 could auguably have been far worse had we not gone to war, it could have been more peacefull had no one resisted but the Jews would still have died probably in greater numbers so....As long as people are still jelous there will also be conflict.

I suppose war will continue, or fighting at least untill; men think there is no longer something worth dieing for except to maintain peace by non-vilence ala the Da'shaine Aiel.

As I've said before, it's not so much a question of whether something is worth dying for as it is a question of whether something is worth killing for. There's a world of difference - I've heard it said that the one who has nothing he is willing to die for has nothing to live for.

If I was a two rivers man with a small, picture perfect cottage, thatch roof, wife, children. Living a relaxed farming life, popping down t'Inn for a drink an' gossip. Is that something worth fighting for? Possibly not, but if I had that I would not want to loose it just to run and have to start again and again.The tinkers move constantly and tie themselves to nothing, but is that for everyone? There's then an issue:(for me) should you expect your children to die, possibably when they are to young to understand, and is it possible to watch loved ones die?

For the majority of people I'd say, not.

The war on terror is about attempting to preserve our society, just as WWI was and WW2.

However I do think we will develope a much more peacful society as time passes and people think more, but definatly we are a long way from it at present.

This post is getting a mite long an going AWOl so,

Lastly is it possible not to fight at some points? I mean the horror of WW2 could auguably have been far worse had we not gone to war, it could have been more peacefull had no one resisted but the Jews would still have died probably in greater numbers so....As long as people are still jelous there will also be conflict.

Indeed, violence will trouble our world until such time as no one is willing to kill for anything - and even I, I have to confess, am not at that place yet. If someone were to hurt my beloved, I would unashamedly fight violently to protect her. And, if it were neccessary, I would kill to protect her. Is this right? I don't know. I don't even know if I would be strong enough to not fight back if I were being hurt. It's simple enough to say that we would only fight against evil men, to protect this, or that, but selfishness is the most fundumental form of evil, and it is prevalent in all of us. Some more than others, but it always exists, and as long as it does, there will be violence.

• 5 months later...
In the pillars of Rhuidean' date=' Rand heard of the Da'shain who surrounded and sang to restore the mind to one of the mad Aes Sedai, even while he killed them.[/quote']

What if they Tinkers do find the Song, would they be able to rid the Asha'man of the taint then if they could do this?

Well, Rand cleansed the Source. ;) As for the already crazy Asha'man, singing during the age of legends had a certain power to it, and might have been able to heal madness, so maybe if the ancient songs are relearned they might help to Heal even the Asha'man. :)

oh yeah! *bonks self on head* I forgot. I got so used to all of the RP forums I used to be in and the Taint was still there ^^

I guess my question could've been geared more towards my new RP site where the taint still lives on

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your hospitality.  The dancing and food were wonderful.  The conversation was uplifting.

May the wheels of your wagons never need grease and the paint hold it's color forever.

May all of your children enjoy every day of their lives.  If you see trollocs...RUN!

Remember that all whitecloaks are liars and thieves who will steal your children!

Feed your dogs well and breed them often.  Nurtured pups will protect your home.

If you ever need someone to talk to or sing or dance with, come find old Gramps!

Archived