DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

In what order did you read New Spring?

Basel Gill

65 members have voted

1. 1. When in your first reading did you do the prequel?

• I read NS in publication order
    • I read NS first, in-universe chronological order
    • I read it at some other point (specify)
    • I haven't read NS yet

I read it about half way through the series.

Honestly, I think it isn't as good to start with, because, although it becomes fairly obvious, I think going through the whole Rand figuring out he is the Dragon Reborn, and everyone figuring it out, is better than already knowing.

Talmanes hits the nail on the head.

While starting out with NS may not ruin the first three books it will ruin EotW.

Wasn't NS going to be a trilogy?

Read New Spring directly after my first time through and directly before second time through.
After TGS, do you mean?
Yes, after Gathering Storm.

Edit:: Added the "before" part because I consider the prequel as part of both times through.

• 2 months later...

I read it when it came out, and you can easily notice that it was written then, considering who shows up in it. That is probably the best time to read it, once you know who Cadsuane is, and when you know what happens to Moiraine and Siuan.

I don't think its a disaster if someone starts out with it, I'm sure some like to have the insights into the Power and the White Tower to understand a bit more of the world when reading tEotW. Also, it makes Moiraine and Siuan a lot more sympathetic, this is possibly the best argument for starting out with it. The downside is that it ruins the gradual revelations about the WoT universe in first books.

Archived