DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Am i the only one who thinks that Nynaeve is plain rubbish?

138 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hate the hell out of Nyn?

• Yes
    • No
    • The highlight of the series will be when she gets slaughtered in AMoL
    • I think Egwene cops too much flac
    • New Zealanders have horrible accents.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Egwene, well over time I just had to remember that's she's this pretty petite girl and being what is considered a "pretty petite girl" in this society myself, it's infuriating when people just automatically assume they need to protect you or tell you what to do because pretty little petite girls are just supposed to stand there and look pretty. God forbid they have a brain. It took some powerful women of different societies to give Egwene some credit that she was much more than that for her to stop being automatically snotty and having her back up and to actually realize her potential. It's obvious from the start she's a born leader but that comes from within and being the pretty petite girl she was limited by what people saw on the outside.

This I disagree with. Where was Egwene shown to be a born leader early in the series? The one tiny smudge I can agree with is that she wanted to see the world on her own, but that leading to her being an Amyrlin and a "good" Amyrlin is a strech imo.

I understand what you wrote about RJ being a southerner and all that. The problem I have with that is that RJ intended to build up a world were the women ruled, where they had the power. Egwene has no reason to feel inferior because she is a pretty little thing, it´s the men that should feel hounded for all the women believing they are gonna get mad and break the world. That we still see women as inferior in context to the books is odd.. but maybe that´s just our world view shining into the WoT -world.

Here LP, I'll explain. Remember when they first leave the Two Rivers? Rand, sometimes Perrin, and even Nynaeve (as her "elder") often have these inner dialogues along the lines of "Oh Light! I have to protect Egwene!" it's that whole "look out for the pretty petite girl because she can't handle herself". Now Rand I can understand because he's sort of her boyfriend and he hadn't wanted her to come in the first place because he understood a little bit more about why they were in danger. Perrin is so used to her often taking charge and being mini-Nynaeve that you'd think he'd actually be reluctant to step up and think of himself as a protector, and he's super surprised when she actually lets him take the lead when they are on their own (before they find Elyas).

Nynaeve gets some of this kind of treatment as well, people mentioning often that she's too young to be Wisdom and should be flirting with men so she can catch a husband, etc. Once outside the Two Rivers it's not really an issue for her until she gets to the Tower, probably because of the company she is in and people aren't going to assume that she's some kind of leader.

Egwene was being groomed to be in a leadership position. When we FIRST see her on screen she's talking to Rand about how she's a Wisdom Apprentice, which is equal in leadership to the Mayor in the Two Rivers villages. It might not be a huge leadership position but it is A leadership position. From the being she always stood up and took charge unless there was someone better suited to it. Once Moiraine explains Egwene is a channeler she puts Egwene above the young men (even though they all have 2 years on her in age) in the group, somehow Moiraine has an eye for natural born leaders (her BFF Siuan being another example, taking Lan as her Warder, etc).

3. Had Lan (who was hugely popular at the time) wrapped around her finger, when there were tons of hotter chicks around.

at what point do you feel this gets to be aggravated trolling?

I voted "no," as my feelings about Nyn changed since book 7 or so.

I guess she's beautiful (according to Lan) on the inside.

Definitely a NO from me. After Avi, Nyn is definitley the least irritating of the female main characters. She improves with time, the real turning point beeing when she marries Lan and also gets rid of her block. Egwene, on the other hand, gets more and more annoying as the series moves on, but that has been covered enough on these boards. :tongue:

my favourite female character is Nynaeve, she is the most straightforward person, and direct person, she can be condescending sometimes, but thats what makes her such an amazing character, her growth throughout the series flows and is more real than some others , i think, she has had to deal with learning to put her pride in a box and submit to others (for instance accepting to take orders from Cadsuane, all for Rand good). she is true of heart, compassionate, and honest. she has done a number of amazing discoveries and things throughout the series.

the whole egwene/nynaeve, i believe egwene wanted to establish herself and needed to make Nynaeve see that she is now an adult, but her means to achieve that is not something i think is reasonable and for me egwene( i like her when she is dealing with Aes Sedai and WT stuff ) is still growing up and needs to learn how to accept other's point of view too and not being overly full of pride, i mean in ToM, she dismissed Nynaeve agreeing with Rand on breaking the seals without so much asking her why she thinks so and instead thinks its rand taveren nature.

nyn is not overrated i think to get back on topic. and that is why i voted No. and i always enjoy her chapters, its feels more real, she has her faults, she is funny sometimes in her own way.

I'm not sure how Lan's personal feelings are somehow a reason to hate Nynaeve? I can understand not liking Nynaeve, and I can understand not liking the pairing as a result, but I don't see how the fact that Lan is in love with her is a reason to dislike her, when its not something she's actually done.

Before you say it, I get that you have changed your opinion and whatever, and I get that your points are your own personal opinions, and I'm not trying to change that, despite the fact I disagree with most of the points you've made :P But yeah, that one in particular confuses me.

I'm not sure how Lan's personal feelings are somehow a reason to hate Nynaeve? I can understand not liking Nynaeve, and I can understand not liking the pairing as a result, but I don't see how the fact that Lan is in love with her is a reason to dislike her, when its not something she's actually done.

Before you say it, I get that you have changed your opinion and whatever, and I get that your points are your own personal opinions, and I'm not trying to change that, despite the fact I disagree with most of the points you've made :P But yeah, that one in particular confuses me.

It's called cattiness, with a side of petty.

Archived