DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Am i the only one who thinks that Nynaeve is plain rubbish?

138 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hate the hell out of Nyn?

• Yes
    • No
    • The highlight of the series will be when she gets slaughtered in AMoL
    • I think Egwene cops too much flac
    • New Zealanders have horrible accents.

I cant be the only one... Seriously... She does sweet crap all 90% of the time, her only claim to fame is her "new healing skillz" and she didnt work to attain those, she got em by accident.

All in all, an unworthy, over inflated [removed]. That said she's better than most Aes Sedai who are just plain childish.

On the flipside, i love Egwene. She's always working away to achieve something and doesn't bitch and moan about stuff she cant change. She gets results.

Feel free to fan fict out the scene in which you think she'll (finally) be slaughtered =D

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't you think 'die bitch die' is a bit extreme to put in the title. Also considering a lot of people find the use of calling a woman a 'bitch' to be misogynistic perhaps you would be better using different language next time.

I used to find her annoying, but that's a far cry from wanting her dead. And now that she's gotten kinder and more reasonable (a bit petulant at times but in TGS and TOM she was great) I actually quite like her. Interesting that you like Egwene; I'm fine with her but everyone else on this site seems to hate her the way you hate Nynaeve...

I am most curious as to what book the OP is on? I would think that would make a difference in his/her POV on Nynaeve.

Personally, I think she's 10x better than Elayne. Elayne is easily the most irritating of the major female characters in the series for me. As for the males, that's a tough one. Rand would probably take the most irritating award for me, but he has his moments and I have found Perrin's story (as of book 10) to be getting a bit dull and Perrin himself more and more seeming like a bit of a fool and/or nancy.

I hated Nyn the first time I read the books and thought she deserved a slow and painful death, now I love her =P I think she is the epitome of a true Aes Sedai.

I don't really love her all that much, and I think she is overrated (especially by Egwene-haters), but I don't hate her either. I don't know if I want her to die or not; definitely don't want her to die just because of who she is. But she is one of the few main characters that can get away with dying, so if we've got this idea that some of them have to die, then Nynaeve seems like a good choice, especially if Lan dies (even though RJ said explicitly that she would get over it if that happened). It just doesn't seem to fit with the story; she has to resurrect Rand before she can die. It would be weird for her to do it as a dead Hero.

Just to name one other claim to fame among many. She took down Mogehdien with a block, half trained and nowhere near her potential. Would say she has done a far bit more than discovering new healing weaves. As an aside healing Logain was one of the better moments in the series imo.

Does anyone else find it funny that the one person who voted 'yes' so far is named Galad?

Yes - didn't look before. But that is pretty funny. We have Whitecloaks amongst us. Next thing the Dragon Fang will be scrawled on peoples' doors:)

Guest PiotrekS

I don't really love her all that much, and I think she is overrated (especially by Egwene-haters), but I don't hate her either. I don't know if I want her to die or not; definitely don't want her to die just because of who she is. But she is one of the few main characters that can get away with dying, so if we've got this idea that some of them have to die, then Nynaeve seems like a good choice, especially if Lan dies (even though RJ said explicitly that she would get over it if that happened). It just doesn't seem to fit with the story; she has to resurrect Rand before she can die. It would be weird for her to do it as a dead Hero.

As a certified Egwene-hater, I would like to state that I absolutely adore Nynaeve :tongue:

Nynaeve, the one who remembers where she came from, stays true to her values, seeks to protect her people, consistently shows personal loyalty and physical courage?

The one who, in addition to inventing a new kind of healing (not by accident, but by having the willingness and bravery to experiment and innovate), was also instrumental in the defeat of two Forsaken and the cleansing of the Source?

That one?

Yeah, she's awful.

Nynaeve, the one who remembers where she came from, stays true to her values, seeks to protect her people, consistently shows personal loyalty and physical courage?

The one who, in addition to inventing a new kind of healing (not by accident, but by having the willingness and bravery to experiment and innovate), was also instrumental in the defeat of two Forsaken and the cleansing of the Source?

That one?

Yeah, she's awful.

+1

Plus unlike other Aes Sedai who turn their noses up at Asha'man, she still sees them as people. Caring about them and healing Naeff's madness (a scene in TOM I really enjoyed - whoever wrote it (be they RJ or BS) did a fantastic job describing that healing, reading it I felt like I was looking right into a brain even made me feel slightly squeamish). While she has annoying qualities these are more than offset by her willingness and desire to heal people, no matter who they are or where they come from. To me the scene in TGS where she offers healing to the boy with the cough was particularly touching.

Guest PiotrekS

That one?

Yeah, she's awful.

Precisely :biggrin: Well said!

Nynaeve is one of the very few major characters in WOT I would be able to trust with everything (if I was a character in the books :wink:) - certainly not Egwene, nor Elayne, nor Perrin, even Rand or Mat not really...

It is worth remembering that Nynaeve is maybe the only character who develops harmonically, not by violently casting away her past, but by growing and allowing her past to grow with her. Nynaeve still has a special loyalty to Two Rivers people, but now the whole world greatly benefits from her caring and loyal attitude, intelligence, passion, empathy and courage.

Hahhaah looks like i rubbed a few noses the wrong way with this post =P

I always found it interesting how almost everyone on this forum bashes on Egwene and Champions Nynaeve, i wanted to see whether under the surface there were a few who flipped this affection around... Turns out there aren't =D

And as for people not liking my language - I figured Bitch was the most evocative word for the situation - there are no bad words, just badly used words.

And how can i be misogynistic if i so obviously like Egwene? Trust me, im no woman hater, quite the opposite actually ;) Nice use of words... Bitch =D (please note that bitch is descriptive, it does not indicate gender but rather persona)

NOW AS FOR "The one who, in addition to inventing a new kind of healing (not by accident, but by having the willingness and bravery to experiment and innovate), was also instrumental in the defeat of two Forsaken and the cleansing of the Source?"

She accidentally learnt the whole new healing style from surviving being a bull headed wilder, it was nothing conscious - What she's done with it is pretty rad though ie Stilling/Madness. But Cleansing the source... ?

"instrumental"... Well i guess she was instrumental... In that Rand used her (like an instrument) in order to gain access to Saidar, Yet again you're praising her for an innate ability, nothing she earned, built or... deserved =P.

The forsaken thing... well she messed most of that up didn't she... Moggy escaped repeatedly (well twice). I do have to give credit to the first fight with Moggy tho. I mean if only she had skill as well as high (innate) power, she might have been able to make sharp instead of blunt flows and done the job properly.

Also everyone praises her for staying true to her old persona from the Two Rivers... How many of us actually liked her in bossy Wisdom mode? Seems like people praise her for being bullheaded and belligerent and being too bullheaded and belligerent to change as she grew up and (should) have matured.

Yet again *disclaimer* Im not saying shes worse than other aes sedai, i merely have higher expectations for her with so many gifts and connections bestowed upon her.

Btw out of curiosity, whats Egwenes Forsaken kill count like? And why dont people praise her for Cuendicullar + Uniting the White Tower + Travelling + other assorted achievements?

Also @Vimak_the_Great I agree that Elayne is frustrating, but her political maneuvering is pretty impressive, plus i quite like that even though she's a prissy little princess she will still take risks. ie Prison sequence in ToM

Hahhaah looks like i rubbed a few noses the wrong way with this post =P

I always found it interesting how almost everyone on this forum bashes on Egwene and Champions Nynaeve, i wanted to see whether under the surface there were a few who flipped this affection around... Turns out there aren't =D

And as for people not liking my language - I figured Bitch was the most evocative word for the situation - there are no bad words, just badly used words.

And how can i be misogynistic if i so obviously like Egwene? Trust me, im no woman hater, quite the opposite actually ;) Nice use of words... Bitch =D (please note that bitch is descriptive, it does not indicate gender but rather persona)

NOW AS FOR "The one who, in addition to inventing a new kind of healing (not by accident, but by having the willingness and bravery to experiment and innovate), was also instrumental in the defeat of two Forsaken and the cleansing of the Source?"

She accidentally learnt the whole new healing style from surviving being a bull headed wilder, it was nothing conscious - What she's done with it is pretty rad though ie Stilling/Madness. But Cleansing the source... ?

"instrumental"... Well i guess she was instrumental... In that Rand used her (like an instrument) in order to gain access to Saidar, Yet again you're praising her for an innate ability, nothing she earned, built or... deserved =P.

The forsaken thing... well she messed most of that up didn't she... Moggy escaped repeatedly (well twice). I do have to give credit to the first fight with Moggy tho. I mean if only she had skill as well as high (innate) power, she might have been able to make sharp instead of blunt flows and done the job properly.

Also everyone praises her for staying true to her old persona from the Two Rivers... How many of us actually liked her in bossy Wisdom mode? Seems like people praise her for being bullheaded and belligerent and being too bullheaded and belligerent to change as she grew up and (should) have matured.

Yet again *disclaimer* Im not saying shes worse than other aes sedai, i merely have higher expectations for her with so many gifts and connections bestowed upon her.

Btw out of curiosity, whats Egwenes Forsaken kill count like? And why dont people praise her for Cuendicullar + Uniting the White Tower + Travelling + other assorted achievements?

Also @Vimak_the_Great I agree that Elayne is frustrating, but her political maneuvering is pretty impressive, plus i quite like that even though she's a prissy little princess she will still take risks. ie Prison sequence in ToM

I didn't say you were misogynistic I just said that as some people find the use of word (particularly when directed at a woman) to be misogynistic. And if people feel this way then it is advisable to use a different word so to not offend them. But if you really don't care what other people think then I guess go for it. I just wouldn't use that word in that context in a public forum as I know some people will find it offensive but you are free to do as you please. I was just trying to help you by suggesting that if you don't want people to think you are misogynistic then choose a different word.

Also you say that you can't be misogynistic because you like Egwene this is flawed logic and is no different to people saying they can't be homophobic/racist 'because some of my best friends are gay/black etc'.

You blame Nynaeve for Moghieden's second escape? That is a bit harsh considering she was in Ebou Dar at the time and Moghieden was under Egwene's watch.

But I guess I should stop feeding the troll (though I am not sure he is a troll - a troll doesn't believe what they are saying whereas I think he actually might).

I have never seen a troll try so hard.

New to the Internet ? There's no way you haven't stumbled on a religion thread or two... :rolleyes:

Does anyone else find it funny that the one person who voted 'yes' so far is named Galad?

Especially since Galad used to have a crush on Nynaeve, according to RJ. :wink: (Retcon that never made sense, but funny nevertheless.)

The more you know.

@ USURP888

I'm not a Troll, i'm genuinely interested and I think Nyn is very interesting as a character seeing as (IMO) with all the gifts and connections, all the advantages and getting into so many crazy situations she has succeeded in doing so little.

And you've gotta admit. As much as you may love her, i have a point

Well, if you want to compare Nynaeve and Egwene:

Nynaeve has helped clean the source, bested a Forsaken (twice), figured out how to heal stilling, figured out how to heal the madness caused by the taint, been Rand's only truly loyal supporter (who isn't in love with him), stayed true to her roots, beliefs and values, and never once thought about how she could use everyone around her to attain her own goals and ideas, irrespective of how unethical and downright nasty that could be. Oh, and she made sure that Lan goes to the Blight with an army, instead of cantering on towards his own little suicide mission. She is also one of the characters most willing to learn from her mistakes.

Egwene has trained with the Wise Ones (whom she lied to - whether toh is met or not, I still don't like it), treated Rand, Perrin and Mat like dirt, treated Nynaeve and Elayne like dirt, treated Gawyn like dirt, treated Siun like dirt, manipulated the Salidar Aes Sedai (don't blame her for that one), stared down Elaida (kudos for that one) and reunited the White Tower. She also tried to tie Perrin up in TAR, in the middle of a battle, with no regard for his safety, and it took Gawyn almost dying for her to realise that she isn't always right. On the other hand, she captured Mesaana (although she almost caused a massacre whilst doing it). She's constantly looking at people as little chess pieces to be moved according to her whims. I realise that leaders have to think strategically, but she's taken it to much too cold a level.

Hmm, can't for the life of me see why anyone would like Nynaeve more than Egwene ;-)

Alright. There may have been a misused word, but the topic is genuine. That word is now gone--if you wish to discuss acceptable language use, that's the sort of thing our debates and discussion forum is perfect for.

From now on, this topic is about the subject of whether Nynaeve is useless. Have fun!

Archived