DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Eurovision Song Contest 2011 (Düsseldorf)

Corki

It's May, and that means for us music lovers (or haters!) in Europe that it is time for the Eurovision Song Contest.

Every year, I dedicate a week to the Contest, and this year is no different. I will be hosting a live commentary on both semi-final shows next week (Tuesday 10th May and Thursday 12th May), before also commentating on the Final on the evening of Saturday 14th May.

This year, the contest is coming from Düsseldorf in Germany courtesy of Lena, who won last year with Satellite.

I am creating this build up thread so we can discuss the delights (or horrors) that will be coming up shortly. Here are just a few news items I have seen:

- I have noticed that Lena is back for Germany to defend her crown - and I am sure nobody has ever done this.

- Italy return to the contest after years of not sending a participant, along with Austria, Hungary and San Marino

- And Great Britain are sending Blue, who have reformed for the contest.

- After the monstrosity that was Dustin the Turkey a few years back, Ireland are sending Jedward. Europe - get your earplugs ready for you are going to need them!

- Former winner, Dana International, the 1998 transvestite winner from Israel, returns for 2011.

- There are 43 countries taking part for 2011

Looking around at some of the UK betting companies, France seem an early favourite, with their entry Sognu (meaning "Dreams" sung by opera singer Amaury Vassili. And the United Kingdom seem a strong challenger. Estonia, Hungary, Azerbaijan and Sweden seem to be challengers, though I am sure Maj's will disagree with that! And I wouldn't put it past Lena to be in the running to retain her crown for Germany either.

I am sure we will have plenty to discuss in the coming days!

!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cswDbtzvUVs

I see you.

I just couldn´t let this thread pass me by. I hope it´s ok that I write here although I´m not part of the band. In Sweden this competition is huge - both the swedish and the european. We have had some swedish winners during the years but, sadly, that was many years ago. Sweden is always high ranked before the competitions but never get enough votes when it´s time for the final. Last year we didn´t even make it to the final. :sad:

I will warn you - this year we´re sending a guy that is loved by all children (and some women). He is so sweet that you are going to get toothache just by looking at him. I´m pretty sure someone else is going to win. :biggrin:

And it's not England that is entering - it's the UK! Just so we can place the blame onto the Welsh and Scots! :biggrin:

But yes, we're not liked in Europe at all, so we will never win! And it's all Tony Blair's fault!

Hmm is this allowed to be a political thread because I've just seen our news and I could go on and on and on bah!

We have won quite a few times before we decided to invade everywhere. Now it is often Nil Point - but that duo who sang out of tune in completely a different key deserved it. That was painful.

Love shine a light. I think my favourite winner is still 99 red balloons.

Uhm, 99 Luftballons was never even in the competition, much less a winner. It would probably not have been allowed to compete, as it is a protest song, and those used to be frowned upon by EBU.

Ummm... Israel??? *Looks at a world map... looks at the thread... looks back at the map* Is the Eurovision contest run according to FIFA geography?

It is because Israel is within the European Broadcasting Area.

And Morocco competed in Eurovision once during the 1980s, as they are a member of the EBU (European Broadcasting Union).

I think the USA should be an honorary contestant. We could send Billy Joel and utterly destroy the competition.

I heard rumours people in the US were thinking about setting up a similar event, with all the states competing against eachother. Could be quite fun, redneck country from Texas vs surfpunk from California vs Sonic Youth wannabees from NY...And Nevada always represented by Celine Dionbiggrin.gif

I think the USA should be an honorary contestant. We could send Billy Joel and utterly destroy the competition.

im pretty sure the usa would get the same treatment as the uk nil points from most countrys, most vote for their neighbors

I think those tendencies have diminished over the years. (countries voting for their neighbours)

Oh and Sweden is gonna win this year. I mean, look what we have. A cute young man with nice black hair and perfect teeth singing about that he wants to be popular so he can win with the ladies. Plus he is smashing glass! Coolness... lol.

I work at a pree-school (ages 3-6) and I´m listening to this song atleast 3 times a day lol. I hated the song in the beginning but now it´s kinda growing on me :rolleyes:

My seven year old daughter plays it all the time too. Well, after seing this semi final I think he actually will have a chans... :biggrin:

Mm maybe. Although I´ve always liked the more ethnic songs =)

I´m still happy that HardRockHalleluja won that year. Just proved to show that metal fans are a force to be reckoned with, lol.

I read in another thread that you were interested in theology and stuff. Read any courses or just general interest?

I have studied religion/theology. I have it as a part of my teacher education and I have studied some extra as well. If I should count it all it would be like two years of theology studies.

Archived