DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Books like WoT

WoTgirl111

I REALLY need a new book series sort of like WoT. Unfortunately I can't read stuff like A Song of Ice and Fire because I just turned 11 yesterday. If you know any awesome fantasy books that don't have sex scenes or people calling other people whores please tell me. The more similar to WoT the better. Thanks.

Well there's Lord of the Rings of course, and Harry Potter. Terry Brooks you might like, he's for a slightly younger audience than Robert Jordan, start with The Sword of Shannara. Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain are excellent. Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series is great. The Redwall series by Brian Jacques is a classic, but perhaps too young for you. The Wizard of Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin is supposed to be great. There's Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Saga. His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman has a female protagonist and isn't kids stuff, while not being adult. The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper's a classic.

Maybe the Eragon books? Personally I don't think they're brilliant, but still an enjoyable read. Also I'd suggest Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. They're not anything like WoT, but they're very good. Basically funny fantasy. There's always the Narnia Chronicles too, although I suppose they're rather old fashioned nowadays.

my short list for you includes

- Harry Potter by JK Rowlings

- Percy Jackson, Kane Chronicals & Olympian Chronicals by Rick Roidan

- His Dark Materils (Golden Compass) by Phillup Pullman

- Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis

- Mistborn Series, Warbreaker, & Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

- Inheratance Trilogy (Eragon) by Christopher Paolini

- Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

- Dark Tower Series by Stephen King

others i also enjoyed, though their not like the WoT but are young adult are

Artemis Fowl Series by Eoin Colfer

Warriors Saga by Erin Hunter

some might say that the WoT, His Dark Materials & the later books of the HP series are too dark for an 11 year old as well. but as she's been able to handle the maturity of issues presented in the WoT series, i don't see a problem with recomending King's Dark Tower series either.

some might say that the WoT, His Dark Materials & the later books of the HP series are too dark for an 11 year old as well. but as she's been able to handle the maturity of issues presented in the WoT series, i don't see a problem with recomending King's Dark Tower series either.

Some people think that the later HP books are dark??? Weird. I know heaps of 11 year olds that have read them.

WoTgirl, have you read the HP series??

i'm a total HP nut, seriously, i used to be on a website whihc disected the books like they do here in the book section of DM :laugh: what i mean by dark, is that the plot takes a more adult turn once we get to the 5th book OoTP. the character, Harry, starts to deal with more mature issues as he grows as a character; dealing with death in a book is a very mature situation, and there are many deaths that we, as the reader, are exposed to and must deal with through Harry (namely Sirius, Dumbledore & Dobby) in OoTP (which is fondly called the "i'm angry" book by me) the reader actually journey's through the 5 stages of grief with Harry concerning Sirius. in this same book, the atmospher of the book itself turns darker as we know Voldemort is back and he's starting to cause death's and chaos. the atmospher furhters into the depths of darkness once Voldy is exposed to the general public and they go into a panic over this news.

in HBP, we deal with the feelings of love (which is a very adult subject btw) we also deal witt he feelings of jealousy, envy & lust; not to mention Harry's internal confliction of his want for Ginny and his need to perserve his and rons relationship. at the same time, we're dealing with seeing Voldemort through the memories DD has collected; and these in theselves are dark. then theres the cave scene, that deals with fighting animated corspes, and ofcourse at the end we have DD's death. not only the fact that he is dead, but feeling it through Harry as he witnesses it.

and with tDH, all but the last few chapters have an overwhelming feeling of hopelessness and depressions and not being able to accomplish an impossible goal. which is rather dark.

Some of these have been mentioned before, but here's my list: (And I'm just 14, no wait, 15 lol, so most of these I read around your age)

• Discworld series by Terry Pratchett - Even as a fantasy series, to me, these are so much funnier than any comedy I've ever heard/read/seen. I think it does depend a bit on one's sense of humour, but for me it is an absolute must read.
  • Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R. Tolkien - If you haven't read, do. That's all. :laugh:
  • Shannara series by Terry Brooks - Some people like these, others don't. I personally loved each and every one of them. (Although I do admit that I am quite easily entertained, with books and life; Terry Brook's Landover books too, although I liked the Shannara ones slightly more)
  • All Sanderson books, especially Mistborn. - The first Mistborn book is my single favorite book currently.
  • Most Ted Dekker books (not a huge fan of his serial killer/thriller books), especially the Circle series, the Paradise series, and Blink. - Note that Ted Dekker is a Christian author and his books are likewise so. Although that is part of why I find his books so good.
  • The Dragon King series, the Pendragon Cycle, and the King Raven series by Stephen Lawhead - Lawhead tends to play off old stories and turn them into fantasy (although the Dragon King Saga is pure fantasy I believe). The King Raven series is essentially Lawhead's unique take on Robin Hood.
  • Legends of the Guardian King series by Karen Hancock. - Fantasy Christian allegory. One of my most favorite series. (Also, her standalone book, Arena)
  • Dragon Keeper series by Donita K. Paul - Fantasy Christian allegory. For a bit younger reads then Hancock's series but still very good, I thought.
  • The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis - Another Christian allegory, although much more popular. He also wrote a space trilogy that is very good.
  • Magnus by Sigmund Brouwer - Stand alone book but one of my favorite in that category.
  • Hm, what else?
  • Oh yes, the whole series written by Orson Scott Card, starting with Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow (although I haven't read the sequels to Ender's Game)
  • The Archives of Anthropos by John White as well as the Spirit Flyer series by John Bibee are two other Christian series.

Probably forgetting several, but my mind is done for now, lol.

susan cooper the dark is rising sequence,

anne mccaffrey, dragonriders of pern series' (stop when her son starts writing); i think most of her other series are appropriate, but i haven't actually read them.

madeline l'engle, everything but especially the wrinkle in time series

ursula leguin, in addition to earthsea, everything. my favorite among her stand alones is the beginning place, i loved this book when i was young and i love it now.

tolkien

WoTgirl, have you read the HP series??

i'm a total HP nut, seriously, i used to be on a website whihc disected the books like they do here in the book section of DM :laugh: what i mean by dark, is that the plot takes a more adult turn once we get to the 5th book OoTP. the character, Harry, starts to deal with more mature issues as he grows as a character; dealing with death in a book is a very mature situation, and there are many deaths that we, as the reader, are exposed to and must deal with through Harry (namely Sirius, Dumbledore & Dobby) in OoTP (which is fondly called the "i'm angry" book by me) the reader actually journey's through the 5 stages of grief with Harry concerning Sirius. in this same book, the atmospher of the book itself turns darker as we know Voldemort is back and he's starting to cause death's and chaos. the atmospher furhters into the depths of darkness once Voldy is exposed to the general public and they go into a panic over this news.

in HBP, we deal with the feelings of love (which is a very adult subject btw) we also deal witt he feelings of jealousy, envy & lust; not to mention Harry's internal confliction of his want for Ginny and his need to perserve his and rons relationship. at the same time, we're dealing with seeing Voldemort through the memories DD has collected; and these in theselves are dark. then theres the cave scene, that deals with fighting animated corspes, and ofcourse at the end we have DD's death. not only the fact that he is dead, but feeling it through Harry as he witnesses it.

and with tDH, all but the last few chapters have an overwhelming feeling of hopelessness and depressions and not being able to accomplish an impossible goal. which is rather dark.

I LOVE the HP series! My favourite is tDH.

Some of these have been mentioned before, but here's my list: (And I'm just 14, no wait, 15 lol, so most of these I read around your age)

• Discworld series by Terry Pratchett - Even as a fantasy series, to me, these are so much funnier than any comedy I've ever heard/read/seen. I think it does depend a bit on one's sense of humour, but for me it is an absolute must read.
  • Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R. Tolkien - If you haven't read, do. That's all. :laugh:
  • Shannara series by Terry Brooks - Some people like these, others don't. I personally loved each and every one of them. (Although I do admit that I am quite easily entertained, with books and life; Terry Brook's Landover books too, although I liked the Shannara ones slightly more)
  • All Sanderson books, especially Mistborn. - The first Mistborn book is my single favorite book currently.
  • Most Ted Dekker books (not a huge fan of his serial killer/thriller books), especially the Circle series, the Paradise series, and Blink. - Note that Ted Dekker is a Christian author and his books are likewise so. Although that is part of why I find his books so good.
  • The Dragon King series, the Pendragon Cycle, and the King Raven series by Stephen Lawhead - Lawhead tends to play off old stories and turn them into fantasy (although the Dragon King Saga is pure fantasy I believe). The King Raven series is essentially Lawhead's unique take on Robin Hood.
  • Legends of the Guardian King series by Karen Hancock. - Fantasy Christian allegory. One of my most favorite series. (Also, her standalone book, Arena)
  • Dragon Keeper series by Donita K. Paul - Fantasy Christian allegory. For a bit younger reads then Hancock's series but still very good, I thought.
  • The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis - Another Christian allegory, although much more popular. He also wrote a space trilogy that is very good.
  • Magnus by Sigmund Brouwer - Stand alone book but one of my favorite in that category.
  • Hm, what else?
  • Oh yes, the whole series written by Orson Scott Card, starting with Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow (although I haven't read the sequels to Ender's Game)
  • The Archives of Anthropos by John White as well as the Spirit Flyer series by John Bibee are two other Christian series.

Probably forgetting several, but my mind is done for now, lol.

Read Narnia and LotR

Thanks for all the others. I'm gonna be busy for a long time.

susan cooper the dark is rising sequence,

anne mccaffrey, dragonriders of pern series' (stop when her son starts writing); i think most of her other series are appropriate, but i haven't actually read them.

madeline l'engle, everything but especially the wrinkle in time series

ursula leguin, in addition to earthsea, everything. my favorite among her stand alones is the beginning place, i loved this book when i was young and i love it now.

tolkien

ok. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A bit cliche but, have you considered any of the Dungeons and Dragons book series? I personally read through a lot of the Dragonlance series and Forgotten Realms series when I was around your age. While they aren't quite the same as the WoT, they are still solid fantasy reads in my opinion.

Archived