DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who would win in a fight, the Dragon or the Doctor?

peregrine

42 members have voted

1. 1. The Dragon or the Doctor?

I might regret posting this little bit of silliness. It's a celebratory whim from someone that just graduated college. But here goes.

(I apologize in advance if this topic does not belong on the general discussion boards).

~

So the 6th season (series) of Doctor Who has just started. I'm assuming some of you are also obsessed with it, so I thought I'd entertain my itch for a little crossover and take a poll about two of my favorite scify/fantasy god figures.

Who would win in a fight, the Doctor or the Dragon?

The Doctor is a 900+-year-old time- and space-traveling alien with a magic screwdriver and a magic box who doesn't believe in silly things like weapons but somehow manages, time and time again, to send his enemies running in abject terror. This may have something to do with the epic music that accompanies him on all of his adventures (courtesy of genius composer Murray Gold).

The Dragon is a reborn hero with the ability to bury whole cities with a flick of his wrist (or without a flick of his wrist, as the case may be). Of course, he would never do this … well, unless you make him angry. In which case, he might just open a gateway, jump across the world in an instant, and channel the True Power to do it.

I know the two characters have effectively nothing in common, but I think their all-powerful natures would make for an interesting fight/battle of wits. Thoughts?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!?!?!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!??!?!!?

Are you serious ? If you are, in what world would the showdown take place and what powers are permitted? If all's green then Rand will win simply because he has the universe on his side, the tardis would break down from mechanical failure (and that says a lot).

Serious? Of course not. The whole situation is absolutely ridiculous. Presumably that's what makes it fun. Or just mind-bending?

I should explain this was inspired by the annual Suduvu Cage Match, which is currently starring Perrin v. Quick Ben (?) and last year starred Rand v. Jaime Lannister.

The Doctor has the TARDIS and a knowledge of other worlds. So let's assume he somehow jumped into Randland, rather than vice versa.

As for what powers are permitted, I suppose they can both do whatever they want.

I don't know if Rand having the universe on his side would save him automatically. If his ta'veren nature immunized him from every trial (mental and emotional as well as physical) WoT wouldn't be very fun to read. This isn't likely to be a physical fight, is it? Neither of the characters really works that way (Rand more than the Doctor, I suppose).

Serious? Of course not. The whole situation is absolutely ridiculous. Presumably that's what makes it fun. Or just mind-bending?

I should explain this was inspired by the annual Suduvu Cage Match, which is currently starring Perrin v. Quick Ben (?) and last year starred Rand v. Jaime Lannister.

The Doctor has the TARDIS and a knowledge of other worlds. So let's assume he somehow jumped into Randland, rather than vice versa.

As for what powers are permitted, I suppose they can both do whatever they want.

I don't know if Rand having the universe on his side would save him automatically. If his ta'veren nature immunized him from every trial (mental and emotional as well as physical) WoT wouldn't be very fun to read. This isn't likely to be a physical fight, is it? Neither of the characters really works that way (Rand more than the Doctor, I suppose).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhyAAMpYGZA

Here's the thing, the pattern has some pre-ordained things to do.Doctor tries to mess them up with time travel, pattern messes him up instead leaving direct confrontation the only possibility and we all know how that's gonna end...

@MassiveErection: That came out of nowhere but I'm still laughing my ass off.

It's elementary. The Doctor NEVER loses. Rand does. Only seldom, but he does. See, I told you it's a no-brainer.

Also, I'm just thinking about this now, but I think Amy's a good match to the harem. Kudos to Karen Gillan; she makes a fine companion indeed. Her character doesn't quite match Billie Piper's and Freema Agyeman's for depth, but her accent is to die for :wink:

ba'al zeman = master/lord of time in hebrew iirc?

i'd guess the master because the doctor is not that dark.

i posted this at TL and they did not abuse me for idiocy as i deserved, and expected. most likely because i am too silly to bother with.

but someone pointed out that rand could well be the doctor, as he travels around the countryside with a beautiful companion having adventures etc.

bela would be the tardis in this scenario, i think, and likely the most powerful player.

and i'm seeing the end of the universe arc as the ending, which would be very cool.

but on topic, if you know the doctor, you know he'd prevail in any scenario, against anyone. or perhaps cause the destruction of the universe.

but it'd be OK by the end of the arc.

and G-d rest Elisabeth Sladen's soul.

ba'al zeman = master/lord of time in hebrew iirc?

i'd guess the master because the doctor is not that dark.

i posted this at TL and they did not abuse me for idiocy as i deserved, and expected. most likely because i am too silly to bother with.

but someone pointed out that rand could well be the doctor, as he travels around the countryside with a beautiful companion having adventures etc.

bela would be the tardis in this scenario, i think, and likely the most powerful player.

and i'm seeing the end of the universe arc as the ending, which would be very cool.

but on topic, if you know the doctor, you know he'd prevail in any scenario, against anyone. or perhaps cause the destruction of the universe.

but it'd be OK by the end of the arc.

and G-d rest Elisabeth Sladen's soul.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

I agree, the Doctor just always wins. I think he'd manage to talk Rand into taking a trip around the universe in the TARDIS and give him some much-needed perspective.

Though one of my geekier friends who was willing to entertain my silliness noted that the doctor is not that useful if he doesn't have technology around to help him. The magic in Randland would really throw him for a loop.

Elisabeth Sladen was brilliant :(

the doctor can do miracles with nothing, and has. his best technology is his mind. the tardis doesn't always work, and a sonic screwdriver. . . well. . . but give the man 5 minutes to talk, problem solved.

yeah i was shocked to read that. 63 is way too young. :sad:

I voted The Doctor (I'm specifically thinking the Tenth Doctor, of course) but this is a trick question. Unless the Dragon was DarkRand and forced the issue the Doctor would never fight him.

Also, anyone else remember that awesome scene (I think it was in Silence in the Library) when the Doctor is alone against those shadow things in that huge library and tells them to leave everyone alone. Then the shadow thing points out that the Doctor is surrounded, weaponless, and asks why it shouldn't just kill the Doctor. And then the Doctor says something like "I’m the Doctor and you’re in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up." Genius.

anyone else remember that awesome scene

Yeah, David Tennant had a couple of those (near the end, when he decided he can do anything at all he set his mind to, as well), and Matt Smith only built on that (the first episode, the one with the angles, and of course the Pandorica).

Balefire into the tardis? Simple: The complete destruction of all reality. I mean think about it, the Tardis is effectively a blip in space time that at its core has access to all of space time, to send a paradox inducing attack into that would throw all of time out of whack and destroy everything.

I don't think they would fight, I think the Doctor would figure out a way to help Rand out. Most likely by doing Min's job and figuring out exactly how the seal on the DO works, and exactly how it needs to be fixed. Though he would probably then do one better and come up with a way to prevent someone from breaking it again.

(Don't forget the time he met what appears to have been the Devil, he stopped him from escaping and left him trapped in an even worse condition than he started in, then there was the time in the library where he was surrounded, weaponless, and hopelessly outnumbered, and with a single threat the swarm gave him everything he asked for with almost no hesitation, it tells you how little of the Doctor we have really seen. Then, I've always been one of suspect he single handedly ended the time war and sealed it away, he seemed to have an intimate knowledge of what would have happened if he, in effect, took in the power of time).

What advantages does Rand have? Well, he has the Power, of course, knowledge of centuries of channeling, including balefire, he's faced an evil god, knows how to use a sword, armies at his back, and is the prophesied saviour, the chosen one of the Light, and the Pattern will bend to increase his chances of victory. What advantages does the Doctor have? An unreliable time machine, a sonic screwdriver (some of the time), companions of various degrees of competence and sexiness, an experienced martial artist in only one incarnation, and a reluctance to kill people if he can help it. Rand doesn't have a hope in hell. The Doctor has faced down the scariest things in the universe time and again, and has come out victorious. He has survived the destruction of the universe, he's died repeatedly and not let a silly thing like that stop him, and has committed multiple ats of genocide, including destroying his own people, the Time Lords. The only question is how the Doctor would win, and of course that depends on which Doctor he faces. Let's face it, the Sixth Doctor gunned down the Cybercontroller, the gentle Fifth suffocated a Cyberleader, Seven goaded Davros into using the Hand of Omega to destroy Skaro (and its entire solar system), the Second Doctor manipulated the Daleks into a civil war which nearly destroyed them, and Ten defied the Laws of Time, Four defeated Sutekh the Destroyer, Nine created a device capable of wiping out the Daleks attacking Earth, and only refused to use it as it would kill everything on Earth.

Quotes to back up why the Doctor would win:"The Doctor: Now the question of the hour is, "Who's got the Pandorica?" Answer: I do. Next question: Who's coming to take it from me? [Pause] Come on! Look at me! No plan, no back-up, no weapons worth a damn! Oh, and something else I don't have: Anything to lose! So, if you're sitting up there in your silly little spaceships, with all your silly little guns, and you've got any plans on taking the Pandorica tonight, just remember who's standing in your way! Remember every black day I ever stopped you! And then, AND THEN... do the smart thing: Let somebody else try first."

"The Doctor: [aiming gun at the ceiling] Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap.

Angel Bob: And what would that be, sir?

The Doctor: Me."

"Baines/Son of Mine: He never raised his voice. That was the worst thing — the fury of the Time Lord. And then we discovered why — why this Doctor, who had fought with gods and demons, why he had run away from us and hidden... He was being kind.

He wrapped my father in unbreakable chains forged in the heart of a dwarf star. He tricked my mother into the event horizon of a collapsing galaxy to be imprisoned there, forever. He still visits my sister, once a year, every year. I wonder if one day he might forgive her, but there she is. Can you see? He trapped her inside a mirror. Every mirror. If ever you look at your reflection and see something move behind you just for a second, that's her. That's always her. As for me, I was suspended in time and the Doctor put me to work standing over the fields of England, as their protector. We wanted to live forever. So the Doctor made sure we did."

"The Doctor: Don't play games with me. [beat] You just killed someone I liked and that is not a safe place to stand! [The Vashta Nerada continue to spread] I'm the Doctor and you're in the biggest Library in the universe. [pauses] Look me up."

"The Doctor: Dalek! You have been defeated. Surrender! You have failed. Your forces are destroyed, your home planet a burnt cinder circling a dead sun. Even Davros, your creator, is dead! You have no superiors, no inferiors, no reinforcements, no hope, no rescue! You're trapped, a trillion miles and a thousand years from a disintegrated home. I have defeated you. You no longer serve any purpose."

"Stotz: You better turn this ship around Doctor!

The Doctor: Why?

Stotz: Because I'll kill you if you don't!

The Doctor: Not a very convincing argument actually, Stotz, because I'm going to die soon anyway, unless of course —

Stotz: I'll give you to the count of three!

The Doctor: Unless of course I can find the antidote… I owe it to my young friend to try because I got her into this —

Stotz: One,

The Doctor: So you see —

Stotz: Two,

The Doctor: I'm not going to let you stop me now!

Stotz: Three!"

"The Doctor: There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought!"

Agreed -- lovely!

Rand balefiring the TARDIS might be analogous to the TARDIS getting swallowed by the cracks in the universe from Doctor Who season 5. In that case, the Doctor hypothetically would "never have been born at all." Of course, that didn't stop him in the season 5 finale, now did it?

Rand would have to balefire him to stop him from just regenerating. Or he would have to kill him repeatedly until his lives ran out (it remains to be seen whether the revived season will stick to cannon and give him a finite number of lives).

Archived