DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dreamspike Keys

A Trite Pun

Moridin stepped forward, seizing her eyes with his own. "Graendal," he said softly, dangerously. "I know the key for this one. It will not be used against me, or others of the Chosen."

My question is, what do you think it means to "know a key?" Does this mean that a specific web can unlock the dreamspike? If so, will this be used against the one at the Black Tower?

Moridin stepped forward, seizing her eyes with his own. "Graendal," he said softly, dangerously. "I know the key for this one. It will not be used against me, or others of the Chosen."

My question is, what do you think it means to "know a key?" Does this mean that a specific web can unlock the dreamspike? If so, will this be used against the one at the Black Tower?

Thats a very good question. I am going to have to re-read that portion of the book again, and take a close look at that chapter. Perhaps the context will be able to answer your question.

Think "combination lock." The Dreamspike is not active when Moridin hands it to her. Moridin is warning her that if she activates it in a place that traps them he will be able to switch it off.

The "combination" could be a certain weave, or it could be numbered dials or colored buttons built into the side of the spike, with the sequence written on a postit note stuck to Moridin's laptop screen. We are not told.

The one at the Black Tower probably has a different combination, but yes, it could be switched off by anyone knowing the combination.

I think Perrin will just smash it with his hammer instead.

Graendal, I think it is, think to herself that it would be invaluable to have a the Dreamspike protect her lair when she later decide to move against the other Forsaken.

She also mention that it is not an absolute No-Travel zone, but that she can allow people to travel inside.

The Key Moridin mention, seem to be the part that allow him to bypass the No-Travel effect and travel in and out of the area affected.

I'll try to find the quote.

EDIT: No wonder I couldnt find the quote by Graendal. It was Mesaana saying it during the battle in T'A'R.

Chp37, bottom of p581, ToM.

Somehow, the Aes Sedai had found a dreamspike. How had they located such a treasure? Mesaana was nearly as interested in gaining control of it as she was in dominating the child Amyrlin, Egwene al'Vere. The Ability to forbid gateways into your place of refuge... Well, it was a vital tool, particularly when she decided to move against the other Chosen. It was more effective than wards, protecting one's dreams from any intrusion, and it stopped all forms of Traveling in and out of the area except for those allowed.

So, I would assume that the key is how one become allowed to keep on traveling.

Think "combination lock." The Dreamspike is not active when Moridin hands it to her. Moridin is warning her that if she activates it in a place that traps them he will be able to switch it off.

The "combination" could be a certain weave, or it could be numbered dials or colored buttons built into the side of the spike, with the sequence written on a postit note stuck to Moridin's laptop screen. We are not told.

The one at the Black Tower probably has a different combination, but yes, it could be switched off by anyone knowing the combination.

I think Perrin will just smash it with his hammer instead.

I think you are wrong here. Moridin just tap the top of the dreamspike and it vanish, going into the Dreamworld and becomming active. Chapter 5.

"A dreamspike?" she said, eyes opening wide. How badly she'd wanted to have one of these! "You found two?"

He tapped the top of the dreamspike and it vanished from his hand. "You will know where to find it?"

He don't hand it to her at all.

And, sorry if I spoiled something but you don't seem to have read how the dreamspike is destroyed. Unless you think that Perrin will handle the one at the Black Temple too.

Graendal, I think it is, think to herself that it would be invaluable to have a the Dreamspike protect her lair when she later decide to move against the other Forsaken.

She also mention that it is not an absolute No-Travel zone, but that she can allow people to travel inside.

The Key Moridin mention, seem to be the part that allow him to bypass the No-Travel effect and travel in and out of the area affected.

I'll try to find the quote.

EDIT: No wonder I couldnt find the quote by Graendal. It was Mesaana saying it during the battle in T'A'R.

Chp37, bottom of p581, ToM.

Somehow, the Aes Sedai had found a dreamspike. How had they located such a treasure? Mesaana was nearly as interested in gaining control of it as she was in dominating the child Amyrlin, Egwene al'Vere. The Ability to forbid gateways into your place of refuge... Well, it was a vital tool, particularly when she decided to move against the other Chosen. It was more effective than wards, protecting one's dreams from any intrusion, and it stopped all forms of Traveling in and out of the area except for those allowed.

So, I would assume that the key is how one become allowed to keep on traveling.

Hmmm...

I wonder if Rand, through his link to Moridin, will be able to travel to the BT unstopped and catch the bad guys with their proverbial pants down.

I think you are wrong here. Moridin just tap the top of the dreamspike and it vanish, going into the Dreamworld and becomming active. Chapter 5.

Graendal had the chance to examine it. I never said Graendal carried it off with her.

And, sorry if I spoiled something but you don't seem to have read how the dreamspike is destroyed.

Surely you're not thinking a lava pit is the only way to destroy a dreamspike? Why not a power-wrought hammer (which Perrin didn't use on the first dreamspike because it was forged AFTER the first dreamspike was destroyed)?

Unless you think that Perrin will handle the one at the Black Temple too.

What Black Temple? There are no temples in Randland.

Graendal had the chance to examine it. I never said Graendal carried it off with her.

Hmm I guess you are right, however when he sent it off it appeared in the Dreamworld. We dont know if Slayer got it directly or if she fiddled around with it herself but sure it is not strange to think that checked it out. guss that was just me reading too much into what you wrote.

And, sorry if I spoiled something but you don't seem to have read how the dreamspike is destroyed.

Surely you're not thinking a lava pit is the only way to destroy a dreamspike? Why not a power-wrought hammer (which Perrin didn't use on the first dreamspike because it was forged AFTER the first dreamspike was destroyed)?

Because in a world where only your imagination is the limit, where you can stop balefire with a thought, Slayer say that Not even he have the strength to smash it. Egwene dismiss the a'dam because she refuse to accept it. A Power-wrought weapon is nothing more than a thought in T'A'R unless brought in 'in the flesh'. It would not be that farfetched that someone find out how to deactivate it instead, assuming once activated they stay active until destroyed.

Unless you think that Perrin will handle the one at the Black Temple too.

What Black Temple? There are no temples in Randland.

Srry, that is me playing too much World of Warcraft.

Because in a world where only your imagination is the limit, where you can stop balefire with a thought, Slayer say that Not even he have the strength to smash it. Egwene dismiss the a'dam because she refuse to accept it. A Power-wrought weapon is nothing more than a thought in T'A'R unless brought in 'in the flesh'. It would not be that farfetched that someone find out how to deactivate it instead, assuming once activated they stay active until destroyed.

Perrin could go their in the flesh. Though i believe it would take more than a man's strength with a power wrought weapon to break it.

Can Perrin go to TAR in the flesh? I don't remember that happening (Except maybe with the hedgehog trap thing, but that wasn't on purpose)

Anyways, I think that the key is a special thing you put in when weaving a gateway, like you put in an extra thread of Fire somewhere (Purely example). I think that Androl will probably figure it out, because he'll be doing all sorts of weird creative stuff with gateways.

Can Perrin go to TAR in the flesh? I don't remember that happening (Except maybe with the hedgehog trap thing, but that wasn't on purpose)

Anyways, I think that the key is a special thing you put in when weaving a gateway, like you put in an extra thread of Fire somewhere (Purely example). I think that Androl will probably figure it out, because he'll be doing all sorts of weird creative stuff with gateways.

I thought he was there physically back in Tear and the whole hedgehog trap thing. I recall one of the wolves telling him that he is there too strongly.

Perrin could go in the flesh if a channeler opened a Gate for him.

Or, if he discovered the method Slayer uses - since Slayer can go in-the-flesh without being a channeler.

(Yes, Slayer was "gifted" that method, presumably by the GLoD but that doesn't necessarily mean somebody else cannot discover and use it).

Perrin could go in the flesh if a channeler opened a Gate for him.

Or, if he discovered the method Slayer uses - since Slayer can go in-the-flesh without being a channeler.

(Yes, Slayer was "gifted" that method, presumably by the GLoD but that doesn't necessarily mean somebody else cannot discover and use it).

I dont think slayers method could be reproduced by perrin, I think its a thing of having 2 souls

i find the dreamspike thoroughly fascinating. it is an object that can be physically sent into the dreamworld and yet effects the real world.

as to the key. i am guessing it is a combination that is used when you open a gateway to allow you to travel through the dome. like a simple weave that has no real ability but to act as a key to the device.

There are hints at another method. Egwene (books 4-6 somewhere) asks about entering in the flesh and the Aiel Dreamwalkers tell her that it is an evil thing. Later on she uses the power to enter TAR. However the Aiel Dreamwalkers never see her enter the dream. She basically used traveling to enter TAR, but I think they were referring to another method, the same method that Slayer uses.

Archived