DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Towers of Midnight (the actual ones!)

nbecks21

Considering the book was named after them and they get a nod in the glossary, I was pretty disappointed/surprised when they made absolutely no appearance in the book. Given, it's a pretty cool title, but usually the titles (minus crappy TGS) mean something to the plot. ToM didn't even hardly deal with the Seanchan on a point-of-view basis, only a chapter or two totally devoted to them and that plot line. Anyone else disappointed or just me?

"Towers of Midnight" mainly references the Forsaken.

Yup. Egwenes Dream. You know, the one that outrules Taim being a Third Age Chosen.

Im not dissapointed by the lack of references to the actual Towers of Midnight. It fits the Forsaken enough to not need to reference anything else. I think Towers of Midnight is my second favorite abstract title after Lord of Chaos. About smegging time the Forsaken get some real focus as opposed to one-at-a-time involvement here and there.

Yeah, it was a shocker when the actual Towers of Midnight didn't show up in this book.

I mean, remember two books ago when there was the chapter with Mat fighting someone with the Knife of Dreams?

Or a few books before that when there was that chapter of Rand as he was hiking down the Path of Daggers?

Yeah, the book names for the second half of the series have for the most part been metaphorical, and no one should be suprised that the actual Towers of Midnight didn't show up.

But there aren't 13 forsaken anymore. I thought the towers of midnight might be the towers north of the capitol of saldea that hadn't been manned in generations.

In Egwenes Dream she saw thirteen midnight towers. Some of them began to fall, some of the fallen ones grew again and one grew impossibly tall, and there were six left standing. Moridin (the impossibly tall one), Demandred, Graendal, Mesaana (still alive at the time of the Dream), Cyndane and Moghedien.

The title was two-fold actually and to be honest, one of the truest titles in the series since the Great Hunt and Crown of Swords.

Egwene's dream and the revealed Dark Prophecy both characterize the Forsaken as the Midnight Towers.

However, it's also a reference to the 13 Towers of Midnight in Seanchan which represent the final consolidation of all nations there under Seanchan rule.

Something Rand along with Perrin's help attempted to and almost accomplished in Randland.

It's a very apt title imo.

But there aren't 13 forsaken anymore. I thought the towers of midnight might be the towers north of the capitol of saldea that hadn't been manned in generations.

Uh, capital of Seanchan, actually. Saldea's towers are Blightborder towers, and are thus always manned. (Although, Saldea also has more of a fortress just north of its capital, not towers).

Uh, capital of Seanchan, actually.

Imfaral, actually. The capital of Seanchan is Seandar.

I take it most people in this thread skim the wind scenes.

Uh, capital of Seanchan, actually.

Imfaral, actually. The capital of Seanchan is Seandar.

I take it most people in this thread skim the wind scenes.

Oops. I read the wind scene, but don't have the book (I got it from the library). Also, Seanchan geography is not something I've focused on very much (since we don't really ever see it).

Archived