DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why Destroy the Choedan Kal?

alpineman

When I read the end of The Gathering Storm (Chapter 50: Veins of Gold), I was severely disappointed when Rand, out of the blue, suddenly destroys the Choedan Kal (CK)!!! I mean things were going along fine, he was finally melding with Lews Therin, his attitude was adjusting, and he was regaining his memories. But destroying the CK? Why? What purpose could that possibly serve? There was no back story leading up to that point that could possibly have linked the CK with helping Rand with his transformation. It was utterly pointless (like the prologue).

Did Jordan specify the CK must be destroyed before the end, or was it literary license on the part of Mr. Sanderson? Even if it was specified by Mr. Jordan, I think the abrupt narrative tangent was jolting to say the least.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure it was because he realized that no one man should have enough power to destroy existence itself. I haven't read TGS in a while though, so I might be wrong.

Also, I think he had drawn too much of the Power, and had to release it somewhere or else he would have been destroyed.

Here is what it says:

[page 1061]

I want to do it right this time.

The Power within him reached a crescendo, and he turned it upon itself, drove it through the access key. The ter'angreal was connected to a much greater force, a massive sa-angreal to the south, built to stop the Dark One. Too powerful, some had said. Too powerful ever to use. Too frightening.

Rand used its own power upon it, crushing the distant globe, shattering it as if in the grip of a giant's hands.

The Choedan Kal exploded.

The power winked out.

The tempest ended.

So, yes, PEOPLE (Who?) may have thought it was too powerful to use, but it didn't say that RAND thought it was too powerful to use. Though the only person here in this scene is Rand. Therefore I assume it had to have been Rand's opinion. With the characteristic narrative in Jordan's writings being 80% character thoughts and 3rd person narrative, and little to any dialog, I can only guess as to whether this was Rands thoughts, or the narrator's comments. I'm still left with a bitter aftertaste on my part that I have to play the part of editor to figure this out.

Here is what it says:

[page 1061]

I want to do it right this time.

The Power within him reached a crescendo, and he turned it upon itself, drove it through the access key. The ter'angreal was connected to a much greater force, a massive sa-angreal to the south, built to stop the Dark One. Too powerful, some had said. Too powerful ever to use. Too frightening.

Rand used its own power upon it, crushing the distant globe, shattering it as if in the grip of a giant's hands.

The Choedan Kal exploded.

The power winked out.

The tempest ended.

So, yes, PEOPLE (Who?) may have thought it was too powerful to use, but it didn't say that RAND thought it was too powerful to use. Though the only person here in this scene is Rand. Therefore I assume it had to have been Rand's opinion. With the characteristic narrative in Jordan's writings being 80% character thoughts and 3rd person narrative, and little to any dialog, I can only guess as to whether this was Rands thoughts, or the narrator's comments. I'm still left with a bitter aftertaste on my part that I have to play the part of editor to figure this out.

Rand was terrified by the amount of Power available to him through Callandor. It made him think he was a god and could ressurect a dead little girl. Remember how scared he was to use Callandor after that? He was afraid he would lose control. It doesn't surprise me that once he came to his senses he would be too scared to use the CK which was much, much more powerful than Callandor. And there's no way he would leave that kind of Power laying around for someone else to use.

If you pick up on all the little details, I think you will find that Rand was relying more and more on the CK. It was first Lanfear who put the idea into his head as to how much power the thing actually has. Anytime a Chosen One suggests you use something, you should probably look into it first before rushing into things. Rand used Callandor at first but when he realized how flawed it was, he switched to the CK. He was able to destroy an entire fortress with it by Balefire. I took his actions atop Dragonmount to mean that he was no longer in need of the thing, that it only would be used against him or even provide him with the temptation to turn back from the Light to the old evil Rand. One of the Chosen Ones or even the bad Ashaman could have gained control of it and used it against Rand and the World once he realized that the Dark One's plan was to unravel the Pattern forever. With Rand now firmly basking in the glory of the Light, the DO's next move would have been to secure the CK and use it to crush reality. Destroying the CK was a good move, it put an end to something that had been building since Rand first went to Rhuidean and found the thing. He now has to rely on trusting an Aes Sedai with a link through Callandor to confront the Dark One and save mankind.

If you pick up on all the little details, I think you will find that Rand was relying more and more on the CK. It was first Lanfear who put the idea into his head as to how much power the thing actually has. Anytime a Chosen One suggests you use something, you should probably look into it first before rushing into things. Rand used Callandor at first but when he realized how flawed it was, he switched to the CK. He was able to destroy an entire fortress with it by Balefire. I took his actions atop Dragonmount to mean that he was no longer in need of the thing, that it only would be used against him or even provide him with the temptation to turn back from the Light to the old evil Rand. One of the Chosen Ones or even the bad Ashaman could have gained control of it and used it against Rand and the World once he realized that the Dark One's plan was to unravel the Pattern forever. With Rand now firmly basking in the glory of the Light, the DO's next move would have been to secure the CK and use it to crush reality. Destroying the CK was a good move, it put an end to something that had been building since Rand first went to Rhuidean and found the thing. He now has to rely on trusting an Aes Sedai with a link through Callandor to confront the Dark One and save mankind.

None of this make any sense in real world, a part of me really wants Rand regret this action during last battle where he could have sealed/killed DO if he had it, but he was dieing as well as the mankind.

It's a book, in reality, it would be ultra stupid to destroy your greatest weapon before the greatest battle to come in 3000 years if not more.

None of this make any sense in real world, a part of me really wants Rand regret this action during last battle where he could have sealed/killed DO if he had it, but he was dieing as well as the mankind.

It's a book, in reality, it would be ultra stupid to destroy your greatest weapon before the greatest battle to come in 3000 years if not more.

By that logic then, we should all be using nukes in any military engagement. They're our most powerful weapons. It would be "ultra stupid" not to.

By that logic then, we should all be using nukes in any military engagement. They're our most powerful weapons. It would be "ultra stupid" not to.

Where did I say anything about he should use it on people, even ones like white cloak and Seachen?

Use your brain please, this is akin to destroy all the nuke on Earth when we know an alien invasion is coming in 3 month, and it's not the totally helpless type where we are at their mercy one way or another.

+1 on that. ALso until Veins of Gold Rands plan was to try to kill the DO with the CK. (pretty sure that is mentioned in TGS) At VoG however, he realised that wasn't the way of doing things properly.

+1 on that. ALso until Veins of Gold Rands plan was to try to kill the DO with the CK. (pretty sure that is mentioned in TGS) At VoG however, he realised that wasn't the way of doing things properly.

They are very good plot devices indeed, but make things very unrealistic, you don't think how to win a war "properly" when the odd of the war is against you, you try to win it at all cost.

As readers we know DO don't stand a chance, because we know enough about 4th age, RJ(the creator himself), and all other things. HOWEVER, Rand does not. Yet he acted like "I am going to win anyway, CK is not worth the trouble, so I will just get rid of it", when he really should hold on to it tight so it might save him and the mankind coming last battle.

Yes, I was noticing that in the book. He was carrying the CK everywhere he went, and holding it often. Often doing so in some sort of reassuring way.

As for the argument that someone else could take it and use it against him, I understand it, but it doesn't move me. After all the same argument holds for Callandor as well. If the CK can be stolen, so can the 'sword that is not a sword'. But now having only one Sa'Angreal, at least it's easier to protect one than two artifacts. :)

*snip*

They are very good plot devices indeed, but make things very unrealistic, you don't think how to win a war "properly" when the odd of the war is against you, you try to win it at all cost.

As readers we know DO don't stand a chance, because we know enough about 4th age, RJ(the creator himself), and all other things. HOWEVER, Rand does not. Yet he acted like "I am going to win anyway, CK is not worth the trouble, so I will just get rid of it", when he really should hold on to it tight so it might save him and the mankind coming last battle.

Yes, the plot speaks as the plot wills. We will just have to sit it out, and see the results.

To use Callandor to it's full potential, you have to link with a member of the opposite sex. When have the Chosen Ones EVER worked together like that? Maybe with Moridin having mind trapped Moghedian and Cyndane he would link, but I doubt it.

I have the feeling that Callandor is like a Light-made weapon. Sure the CK was more powerful in terms of raw power, but Callandor is a weapon of good and pure Light. The DO cannot be beaten with conventional means, he must be killed with Light. It's clear from the Strike at Shayol Ghul that trapping the DO with the CK would not have worked, it would have tainted both sources of power and possibly destroyed the world when both Aes Sedai went mad. There is something about Callandor that goes beyond just pure strength and brute force.

Well, things being as it is then... It's interesting how he didn't account for their destruction to anyone.

I assume Lanfear will be madder than hell when she finds out.

I don't think anyone else knows that Rand/Lews Therin has them though. Cadsuane might be aware of Rand's former possession of the CK, but I'm not sure. But so far, in the T.O.M., their absence is completely overlooked.

It would have been fun if Rand had kept them, and showed them off in front of everyone else. That would be fun to watch Egwene's jaw drop, and make her eat some humble pie, when she realizes that Rand can out channel all female Aes Sedai in the entire world combined.

Another thing to note is that this war won't be won by strength in the power alone. They used the CK to create the seal on the bore 3,000 years ago but it backfired, remember? and I don't think they want to wait another 3,000 years to channel the entire male half of the one power into a future version shadar logoth if it'd even exist at all.

Think of the choeden kal as Sauron's ring, its power is corruptive, addicting, and can drive people mad. Sure the CK don't have a malice and hate filled influence, but it's dangerous just the same. Another analogy would be the Tsar Bomba. At full power it was a 100 megaton bomb that was so powerful that the pilot would be killed because no plane could outrun the ensuing fireball. It was something so incredibly powerful and dangerous it was never used as a weapon.

Another thing to note is that this war won't be won by strength in the power alone. They used the CK to create the seal on the bore 3,000 years ago but it backfired, remember? and I don't think they want to wait another 3,000 years to channel the entire male half of the one power into a future version shadar logoth if it'd even exist at all.

Think of the choeden kal as Sauron's ring, its power is corruptive, addicting, and can drive people mad. Sure the CK don't have a malice and hate filled influence, but it's dangerous just the same. Another analogy would be the Tsar Bomba. At full power it was a 100 megaton bomb that was so powerful that the pilot would be killed because no plane could outrun the ensuing fireball. It was something so incredibly powerful and dangerous it was never used as a weapon.

Actually, the CK was the female Aes Sedai's plan that opposed LTT's plan to use the seals. It was the loss of the access keys in Shadow controlled territory that forced LTT's hand in going ahead with his own plan. The CK wasn't used in the sealing.

However, I agree that raw power is not what is needed to defeat the Dark One. Rand realized this so he was OK with destroying a very dangerous weapon.

That is a major mistake on my part, thank you for correcting it. I had assumed that it was used because I never found any mention of Callandor being at Shayol Ghul. So the Hundred Companions simply linked with one another and relied on simple angreal? What a desperate move by LTT...Not that he had a choice I suppose...

Rand saw the same flaws in Choedan Kal as LTT saw when he refused to help use is. It can only be safetly used when both Saidin and Saidar are being channeled into it....and with the female access kay lost, linking is the only way to do that. There are not very many Aes Sedai who I think Rand would trust to link with him ....then there is the fact that one of the Aes Sedai who had bonded an Asha'man got their hands on the male access key, they would be able to link to their Asha'man and use Choedan Kal anytime they wished. He just could not risk a weapon of such power being used when no one knew it's true power.

It would have been useless against the Dark One since the DO has the ability to tap directly into the True Source and could easily use the True Power to reflect the power of Choedan Kal.

That is a major mistake on my part, thank you for correcting it. I had assumed that it was used because I never found any mention of Callandor being at Shayol Ghul. So the Hundred Companions simply linked with one another and relied on simple angreal? What a desperate move by LTT...Not that he had a choice I suppose...

Actually men can't link without a woman involved so the Hundred Companions all worked together but separately. Which is not as easy or precise as using circles. There is an RJ quote on this but I'm too lazy to go find it right now.

But I think the bottom line of that is to illustrate that raw power is not needed to seal/beat the Dark One. So no need for the CK and no need to have such a dangerous item lying around. I believe Callandor will be needed, but not for its power but because it is somehow special. I have no good theory (I have a half-formed loony one that can only be discussed on the spoiler boards) on how it is special but Min will probably find it in her research.

Actually men can't link without a woman involved so the Hundred Companions all worked together but separately. Which is not as easy or precise as using circles. There is an RJ quote on this but I'm too lazy to go find it right now.

But I think the bottom line of that is to illustrate that raw power is not needed to seal/beat the Dark One. So no need for the CK and no need to have such a dangerous item lying around. I believe Callandor will be needed, but not for its power but because it is somehow special. I have no good theory (I have a half-formed loony one that can only be discussed on the spoiler boards) on how it is special but Min will probably find it in her research.

Yup.....Women can not have a link of more than 13 without a man and men can not link t each other at all....only to women

Where did I say anything about he should use it on people, even ones like white cloak and Seachen?

Use your brain please, this is akin to destroy all the nuke on Earth when we know an alien invasion is coming in 3 month, and it's not the totally helpless type where we are at their mercy one way or another.

OK, let's amend what I said to "having nukes", not using them. Do you realize how much of a risk nuclear weapons are? If they fall into the wrong hands, we would probably have WWIII to deal with. Even possessing nukes is a massive risk, because anyone who's extremely committed to a cause and want those nukes to commit an act of terror could try to get their hands on them and eventually they probably will.

In Randland, the Choedan Kal are kind of like those nukes combined with cocaine. Even if you're not using it, it's still a security risk, and if you are using it it just so happens to be addictive and tempting as hell.

OK, let's amend what I said to "having nukes", not using them. Do you realize how much of a risk nuclear weapons are? If they fall into the wrong hands, we would probably have WWIII to deal with. Even possessing nukes is a massive risk, because anyone who's extremely committed to a cause and want those nukes to commit an act of terror could try to get their hands on them and eventually they probably will.

In Randland, the Choedan Kal are kind of like those nukes combined with cocaine. Even if you're not using it, it's still a security risk, and if you are using it it just so happens to be addictive and tempting as hell.

Which part of the "this is akin to destroy all the nuke on Earth when we know an alien invasion is coming in 3 month" do you not understand?

Well, let me explain a little more, Human on earth currently do not have any "EXTERNAL" threat, as least not real and known one, this is not true for Randland.

BTW bold your entire post is annoying and do not help your argument.

Which part of the "this is akin to destroy all the nuke on Earth when we know an alien invasion is coming in 3 month" do you not understand?

Well, let me explain a little more, Human on earth currently do not have any "EXTERNAL" threat, as least not real and known one, this is not true for Randland.

BTW bold your entire post is annoying and do not help your argument.

OK, the DO is an external threat yes, but he has internal agents all throughout Randland; The Forsaken being the most powerful. But there's also the matter of Darkfriends and Shadowspawn that could easily lay their hands on artifacts of power. So, your "Aliens invading earth" theory is flawed because that implies that the threat is entirely external, which it is not.

I completely understand your poorly worded "this is akin to destroy all the nuke on Earth when we know an alien invasion is coming in 3 month" scenario, but I think that it's not accurate, as I've explained above. This justifies why Rand destroyed the CK. If you want other reasons, read the posts of everyone else on this topic, I'm sure a couple of them have reasoned it out better than I have.

And if you don't like the posting in bold, I really don't care. It's a habit I picked up a long time ago and I'm sticking with it. Sorry, bud.

One reason that the Choedan Kal was destroyed might be to fulfill prophecy. Earlier in the book, Min had a Viewing of the exact scene.

Another reason might be so that light could be brought to the place. In the Epilogue, various characters saw the light.

Another reason might be so that Lews Therin would not bother him any more.

Rand's reason I suspect might be a Towers of Midnight spoiler. Have not yet read the actual book.

Archived