DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Just some questions about WoT

Thorgan

Hello there

I read all the WoT books over the past ~5 years.

Now I'm starting again and a few things don't make sense.

If you could answer I'd appreciate it :)

1. Why is Lan so lucky? In the end of NS Moraine talks about some of the lucky men being channelers but they don't really talk about Lan.

2. In the intro of Eye of the World, how come Ishamael isn't sealed away? This scene happens pretty soon after LTT sealed all the forsaken, doesn't it?

Thanks ~

1. Why is Lan so lucky? In the end of NS Moraine talks about some of the lucky men being channelers but they don't really talk about Lan.

I'm not aware of any particular reason. He's exceptionally well-trained and skilled at what he does, and that may account for part of what you're referring to.

2. In the intro of Eye of the World, how come Ishamael isn't sealed away? This scene happens pretty soon after LTT sealed all the forsaken, doesn't it?

Ishamael was never completely Sealed away. You get some clues about that in Rand's first visit to Rhuidean (an AS claimed he still touched the world some 100 years after the Breaking). And of course in TEotW - the prologue and his comments about being responsible for the Trolloc Wars and the fall of Hawkwing's empire, as well as founding the BA (and even manipulating several false Dragons, if memory serves). It's in the Guide as well - he was free for periods of about 40 years from time to time.

EDIT: incidentally, there's always the 'Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer' thread in which you can ask this sort of questions.

I'm not aware of any particular reason. He's exceptionally well-trained and skilled at what he does, and that may account for part of what you're referring to.

Indeed--note, for instance, in New Spring when Lan survives a fall down the stairs. People all murmur how lucky he is, yet in fact we see he survived because he had the training and presense of mind to relax into the floor.

Besides... sometimes there really is luck.

Hmmm, that makes sense, thanks.

I got another one:

Who sends all the assasins to kill Lan?

First the six men in the stable that attack Lan and later the guy with the bow.

Lan suspects Edeyn but this really doesn't make sense anymore once she reveals her plan to mary her daughter to him.

So who else? I guess it could be shadow friends but I don't really see how or why.

Who sends all the assasins to kill Lan?

I figured it was Ryne, on orders from Merean (or she did it herself). Why? Well you touched on it earlier. He was known to survive against unfavorable odds too many times, so he was marked for death by the BA on the assumption that he might be channelling to get out of risky situations, hence he might be the Dradon Reborn. At the time they knew little of Gitara's Foretellings beyond the fact that the Dragon has in fact been Reborn.

I figured it was Ryne, on orders from Merean (or she did it herself). Why? Well you touched on it earlier. He was known to survive against unfavorable odds too many times, so he was marked for death by the BA on the assumption that he might be channelling to get out of risky situations, hence he might be the Dradon Reborn. At the time they knew little of Gitara's Foretellings beyond the fact that the Dragon has in fact been Reborn.

Of course!

Surprising how much there is I can miss :p

Indeed--note, for instance, in New Spring when Lan survives a fall down the stairs. People all murmur how lucky he is, yet in fact we see he survived because he had the training and presense of mind to relax into the floor.

Besides... sometimes there really is luck.

I believe a prince surviving a fall was also attributed to Lan's luck? It always made me think that maybe he was mildly ta'veren, or maybe extreme luck isn't just reserved for Mat.

In all honesty I attribute Lan's Luck to Rand. Rand needs Lan later on and I believe that Rands ta'veren twisting was effecting the pattern long before he was born. He makes note of that in the scene in The Shadow Rising just after he comes back from walking the glass columns. After Asking a few questions about what he saw he notes the number of coincidences that lead to his birth. I honestly think it was his ta'veren nature that was causing those event. Pulling the world into a path that lead to his coming and gathering together those he needed for when he would need them, Lan among them.

But your coming seems to have rubbed some of your luck off on Diryk. He fell from a balcony this morning, a good fifty feet to the paving stones, without breaking a bone.
I don't see any serious attribution.

Oh is that what it says? Thought it was something more specific.

In all honesty I attribute Lan's Luck to Rand. Rand needs Lan later on and I believe that Rands ta'veren twisting was effecting the pattern long before he was born. He makes note of that in the scene in The Shadow Rising just after he comes back from walking the glass columns. After Asking a few questions about what he saw he notes the number of coincidences that lead to his birth. I honestly think it was his ta'veren nature that was causing those event. Pulling the world into a path that lead to his coming and gathering together those he needed for when he would need them, Lan among them.

I like this idea, very interesting indeed.

Hope you don't mind me asking some more as I keep reading :>

How come Thom joins their group?

It really makes no sense to follow them and to risk getting killed by shadow spawn.

I get why Moraine lets him tag along since she already knows that he'll marry her (she says that she knows the face of her future husband).

But why from Thoms point of view?

I do not believe Moiraine knew she would marry Thom until after Baerlon; Min sees images, not names. Thom probably tagged along for the same reason he helps Rand later in the book; he's extremely bitter about Aes Sedai and wants to offer what protection he can for the boys.

It really makes no sense to follow them and to risk getting killed by shadow spawn.

I get why Moraine lets him tag along since she already knows that he'll marry her (she says that she knows the face of her future husband).

Thom sticks around for a reason, you just haven't been told what it is yet but there definitely is one.

Just keep reading my friend, by book 4 tSR, you will know exactly why in detail. :biggrin:

I do not believe Moiraine knew she would marry Thom until after Baerlon; Min sees images, not names. Thom probably tagged along for the same reason he helps Rand later in the book; he's extremely bitter about Aes Sedai and wants to offer what protection he can for the boys.

Either way, Moiraine knew for sure after Rhuidean.

That could be true.

Moiraine seems to have quite a bit of knowledge of about what's going to happen (knowing where Rand is).

I just assumed she got the face-thing from the same source.

Thom sticks around for a reason, you just haven't been told what it is yet but there definitely is one.

Just keep reading my friend, by book 4 tSR, you will know exactly why in detail. :biggrin:

I forgot more then I thought :O

It is quite hard to keep track of all the story lines. RJ really did a good job figuring all that out.

(edited because I just realised something wrong)

That could be true.

Moiraine seems to have quite a bit of knowledge of about what's going to happen (knowing where Rand is).

I just assumed she got the face-thing from the same source.

I forgot more then I thought :O

It is quite hard to keep track of all the story lines. RJ really did a good job figuring all that out.

(edited because I just realised something wrong)

You forgot about Thom's nephew? :biggrin:

It's been a while since I've read The Eye of the World, but I believe Thom alludes to it. Basically, you don't won't to be hanging around as an outsider in an extremely insular community immediately after they suffered an very unexpected attack by monsters. I would've gotten the heck out of dodge too. (Although given what we know about the good people of Two Rivers, those fears were probably unwarranted.)

bump

Ah, now I know, his nephew owyn was a channeler and got screwed over by the red.

Another question:

What is up with Rands sickness? (for example when he talks to the white cloaks when Mat throws the barrels at them)

Is that learning-to-channel sickness?

Why did Moraine not use balefire against Aginor?

Supposedly she didn't know the weave yet.

What about that woman that tries to kill Rand and Mat in the stable and they locked her in it. Does she appear again later?

Mili Skane does indeed appear again.

I thought so, the way the character is set up seems very odd for one that would never show up again.

One book down, Twelve to go :D

In the very end of the first book there is a short PoV from Moraine. She talks about her gem and how she can use it to listen to people that think they are too far away to be heard. And she just used it (judging from the fact it glowed). Who does she listen to? What does she hear?

Rand (& Mat & Perrin) did not become ta'veren until shortly before Moiraine & Lan arrived in the Two Rivers.

Archived