DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Just some questions about WoT

Thorgan

I don't get how any part of the conversation is relevant to her. I'm pretty sure she already knows he's the dragon.

You've read TGH, right? Remember Moiraine's plan for Rand, as explained by her to Siuan? She needs him thinking she doesn't care what he does or where he goes, so she could convince Mat and Perrin to carry the Horn to Illian, and he'll go with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump time

I just finished tGH and it makes a lot more sense now.

Got some questions though:

After Moiraine visits the brown and the green sister to ask about the prophecies she thinks she just got an answer to a question she doesn't know. Any idea what it is?

About Verins famous lie that Moiraine sent her: Why does she lie here? She could've probably been able to get by without it.

Quite intresting how oblivious I was when I first read the books.

I didn't realize Liandrin was black until they talk about it in Tar Valon.

After Moiraine visits the brown and the green sister to ask about the prophecies she thinks she just got an answer to a question she doesn't know. Any idea what it is?

Short answer? Nope. I thought about it more than once, and asked the question here as well. Perhaps it's something to do with the BA being involved and trying to get rid of her (the dragkhar's been masked by a channeler).

About Verins famous lie that Moiraine sent her: Why does she lie here? She could've probably been able to get by without it.

Honestly, I think she did that so we could get a clue that she's Black. No other reason that I can think of, though obviously it's a very low-risk lie. Perrin himself wouldn't trust his memory that she flat out said Moiraine's sent her, rather than just imply it. Indeed, it went undetected, even though Moiraine was eventually told of the lie.

It's not set in stone, but most old timers believe that the answer she got was that Fain had Mordeth's soul in him. She cites her time with Vandene and Adeleas as being when she figured it out.

She did it to drive a wedge between Rand and Moiraine. If you look at Verin's actions throughout the novels one of the major things she does is to keep Rand from coming under the thumb of the Aes Sedai. Off the top of my head...

1. She scares Siuan and Moiraine about what Rand will be capable of, then undercuts any response with her daft little 'we may have to gentle him--oh no, wait, we can't. Oops.'

2. She incites the Rebel Embassy into the disasterous confrontation with Rand over Demira (Merana notes this later).

3. She compels the captured sisters to help Rand.

4. She considers killing Cadsuane, and even obtains the poison, only stopping when Cadsuane reveals that her only intention is to help Rand, not control him.

So, back to the lie. Moiraine's whole plan was to let Rand think she had no interest in him, so that she could then manipulate him--a fact Verin was aware of. Verin specifically acted to undercut this in her lie that Moiraine sent her. She was struggling to keep Moiraine's influence on Rand from becoming too great, likely out of a (highly accurate) perception of the dangers of the Aes Sedai arrogance and ignorence--note, for instance, that had Moiraine had such control Rand would not know have the Aiel or the Wise One's on his side.

Thanks x)

Why did Moraine not use balefire against Aginor?

What about that woman that tries to kill Rand and Mat in the stable and they locked her in it. Does she appear again later?

Yes, she does - Milli Shiane, in Ebou Dar hunting Mat, and she turns up in Camelyn in the later books too - she's involved in the Black Ajah plots against Elayne.

Archived