DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who can see the future

spoke

It can't be Hurin, because otherwise he would be able to track where a criminal would be rather than where he has been. The reason that hurin was able to track ahead of the trollocs was something to do with time being distorted in the parrallel world and not hurins ability.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can't be Hurin, because otherwise he would be able to track where a criminal would be rather than where he has been. The reason that hurin was able to track ahead of the trollocs was something to do with time being distorted in the parrallel world and not hurins ability.

I never said that Hurin can see the future in this world. He could see the future in the mirror world. That was a combination of the properties of that world and Hurin's abilities. nobody but Hurin was able to do it so his ability is definitely involved in this. It's still seeing the future (if only in the mirror world).

It still sounds a bit of a stretch from

BrandonSandrson Tue Jan 11

@Terez27 Well, out of fondness, I'll let you know that I DO know of at least one male (other than Perrin) who can see the future.

relying on being in a parallel world to see the future doesn't seem to be the sort of character that BS is refering to IMO, but that is just the way I read it.

Exactly. Hurin has zero ability to smell the future, let alone see the future. It's not Hurin, and it's not even the realm of looney theories. Hurin can't see the future.

Brandon's 'too clever' comment re: the male Aelfinn makes it unlikely he was getting at Hurin. In other words, he didn't expect me to reach that far for who he was talking about.

could you please ask him anyway? just to clear the air if for no other reason.

Brandon's 'too clever' comment re: the male Aelfinn makes it unlikely he was getting at Hurin. In other words, he didn't expect me to reach that far for who he was talking about.

I asked him a bunch of questions about it already and he ignored me. But I asked him anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if he answered me this time. But I also wouldn't be surprised if he ignored me. He probably ignores about 85% of what I spam tweet him. Also, he takes weekends pretty much off (especially Sunday - he sometimes works on Saturdays, especially when it comes to writing...not so much tweeting).

I asked him a bunch of questions about it already and he ignored me. But I asked him anyway.

Thanks a lot!! Can't ask for more than that. If he doesn't answer then he doesn't answer. It looks like he is being bombarded with tweets all the time so he can't be expected to answer all of them.

Vanin, thats how he knows all the shortcuts, cos he sees the band taking them :D Seriously though Id have to go with Elyas.

Elyas is wary of even using TAR - if he's a Dreamer, he's suppressed the Talent.

Moridin is a possible fit - perhaps the best. (If tis Moridin will this leak to Rand as well?)

Slayer - he had many "gifts" but no immunity to poison (WH)- could that include Dreaming?

Problem is, we've never had a hint of this gift - for Slayer, or anybody else with two legs and hair on their chest.

From EncWoT:

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/main/tar.html

There are several instances of Rand entering T'A'R in the flesh:

TDR,Ch55 - During their battle, Ba'alzamon and Rand Travel to Tel'aran'rhiod entering it physically.

TFoH,Ch55 - Nynaeve and Moghedien are in Tel'aran'rhiod in the dream, but Rand and Rahvin are there in the flesh making them much stronger.

LoC,Ch32 - Egwene, Amys and Bair meet with the Salidar Aes Sedai in Tel'aran'rhiod in the Heart of the Stone. Rand is there as well and learns where Salidar is.

Also:

LoC,Ch27 - Rand and Egwene compare notes on Traveling and entering Tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh using saidin or saidar.

Other men who can enter T'A'R include:

Ba'alzamon / Ishydin

Asmodean (TSR39)

Rahvin

In fact - All the Forsaken! (KoD3)

Slayer

But then there's this..

TFoH,Ch5 - In Tel'aran'rhiod, Egwene finds Rhuarc's dream. She cannot find Elayne's or Nynaeve's.

Is it Rhuarc?

From EncWoT:

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/main/tar.html

TDR,Ch55 - During their battle, Ba'alzamon and Rand Travel to Tel'aran'rhiod entering it physically.

TFoH,Ch55 - Nynaeve and Moghedien are in Tel'aran'rhiod in the dream, but Rand and Rahvin are there in the flesh making them much stronger.

LoC,Ch32 - Egwene, Amys and Bair meet with the Salidar Aes Sedai in Tel'aran'rhiod in the Heart of the Stone. Rand is there as well and learns where Salidar is.

Also:

LoC,Ch27 - Rand and Egwene compare notes on Traveling and entering Tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh using saidin or saidar.

Ba'alzamon / Ishydin

Asmodean (TSR39)

Rahvin

Slayer

But then there's this..

TFoH,Ch5 - In Tel'aran'rhiod, Egwene finds Rhuarc's dream. She cannot find Elayne's or Nynaeve's.

Is it Rhuarc?

I would point out that it seems that anyone who can channel can enter Tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh (at least, if they can travel). Now, not everyone realizes how to do that, but they can.

From EncWoT:

http://encyclopaedia...g/main/tar.html

Also:

Ba'alzamon / Ishydin

Asmodean (TSR39)

Rahvin

Slayer

But then there's this..

Is it Rhuarc?

Just because she can find Rhuarc's dream doesn't mean that he is a dreamer. I fail to see your logic. She often has found and spoken in the dreams of Elayne, Nynaeve, among others. So how does this make him a dreamer?

It doesn't 'make' him a dreamer, but it may be a pointer. In TFOH5, Egwene is being instructied in dreamwalking by the Aiel WO, and she manages to find and enter Rhuarc's dream,but not Elayne's or Nynaeve's. So it's easier for her (a trainee) to find Rhuarc's dream; which is a suggestion (and only a suggestion) that his dream-presence is stronger because he is able to enter T'A'R.

Dreaming, Dreamwalking and entering other people's dreams are all seperate talents IIRC. Related, but seperate. (I think it's in the guide?) Egwene and presumably the Wise Ones happen to have all of them

What Perrin does is something else again.

so what I am saying here is that the man doesn't have to be a dreamwalker to be a dreamer. And if you consider foretelling and the like, he doesn't have to be either.

Yes, who can see the future?

My money is on the Asha'man named Arlen Nalaam, who occasionally cackles to himself "in gibberish" and doesn't remember it afterwards. Why? The irony. Mr Nalaam is a compulsive liar - or gifted storyteller, if you will - and it sure would be ironic if he turns out to have the same gift as Elaida has and Nicola had, Foretelling, instead of ordinary Saidin induced madness.

What we would need, though, is a good translator or code breaker.

Can anyone translate this, please: "Makashak Na famalashten morkase, delf takaksaki mere." Or maybe he suffers from madness AND has the Talent? If Nynaeve heals him, maybe his words will make more sense?

My money is on the Asha'man named Arlen Nalaam, who occasionally cackles to himself "in gibberish" and doesn't remember it afterwards. Why? The irony. Mr Nalaam is a compulsive liar - or gifted storyteller, if you will - and it sure would be ironic if he turns out to have the same gift as Elaida has and Nicola had, Foretelling, instead of ordinary Saidin induced madness.

Can anyone translate this, please: "Makashak Na famalashten morkase, delf takaksaki mere." Or maybe he suffers from madness AND has the Talent? If Nynaeve heals him, maybe his words will make more sense?

I like your idea, it would be a nice way to hide someone in plain sight.

MIND=BLOWN I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out Nalaam's line, and gave up. I KNEW there was something there. This is it.

Being too complicated here I think.

Dreamwalkers can see possible futures and are the only ones that can watch and enter others dreams.

Aside from Egwene and some of the Aiel Wiseone's only two others have this ability, Lanfear and Ishamael.

Ishamael is a dreamer, mystery solved.

MIND=BLOWN I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out Nalaam's line, and gave up. I KNEW there was something there. This is it.

Thanks guys! Some more "evidence" to support my humble theory: Arlen Nalaams "madness" - or whatever it is - doesn't seem like any other Saidin induced madness we have encountered so far: Androl sees threatening shadows, Naeff saw evil Fades, one guy screamed about spiders crawling under his skin, poor Morr was a little boy who saw a dangerous world he wanted to protect Min from... The madness often causes the victims to lash out, in violent ways. Nalaam "suffers" from something different, I think...

And I like Canis Rufus comment about "hiding in plain sight". This is a trademark of the WoT, nothing is what it seems - in the beginning, everyone and everything is hiding in plain sight...

I have studied a little on speech problems related to brain injuries. Generally, the speech is affected in four ways. One of those ways is filling pauses between words with nonsense sounds -- This may be what he is doing. If this is the case then the nonsense sound is related to the 'a' sound, and harsh consonants around it. M-sh-N-fl-sh-ten-mor-se, delf-ts-i-mere. So he could be saying Mission flash: ten more said left i'm here,

I considered Nalaam, but what mostly struck me as strange about him is that his crazy stories have hints of truth in them. The gibberish seems a little unbalanced for a simple substitution cipher. I figured he was speaking Sharan or something.

Archived