DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Military Roundup

Luckers

As much as I've liked Perrin as a character, I've always failed to understand his role in the books as a general. It seems redundant. He's a good leader, but not anything near the general Mat is, so why do we have him with a larger force? Obviously events conspired to place them at his disposal, but it seems it would be more effective to give Mat the extra men.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to address this once more and then give up. There is no way in hell that a force that's outnumbered 8 to 1 can win in the manner described.

Here are some real life examples of battles fought with overwhelming strength by one side.

In the Zulu war, the initial battle was fought by a force of 4100 British and auxilary troops (1600 British, 2500 African troops). They faced a force 20,000 strong. That's only 5-1 odds. The British had much superior technology (equate that with the Asha'men if you will). The result? Complete and utter annihilation. Not a single survivor.

We all know about the Battle of Little Big Horn. Custer was outnumbered there at anywhere from a 3-1 to 7-1 odds (historians disagree on the exact number), and he was completely wiped out. Another example of a force with superior technology engaging a force with overwhelming numbers.

I could go on about this to endless length, but the numbers are quite frankly ridiculous. Since the RPG is not canon, it has not been verified accurate by Team Jordan, and I've already found major mistakes in it with regards to the defense of Edmond's Field, I think we can safely put aside the supposed numbers at Dumai Wells.

As much as we'd like to believe in technology, overwhelming numbers usually wins out against a small force with better technology. I could believe a 2-1 or 3-1 size difference, but not an 8-1 size difference.

Allow me to use another real life example, where the smaller force won/ended up in draw:

633511023806381728-finland---be-afraid-very-afraid.jpg

xD

On your point with the Zulu wars - Remember the battle of Rorke's Drift. 140 British soldiers (of which only 80 were actually fit for active duty) held off some 3-4k Zulu's. The British forces suffered 17 killed, 14 wounded to the Zulu's 350 killed, 500 wounded.

Completely different type of situation really. Rorke's Drift was a defensive front, the Zulus didn't all engage at once (as was traditional for them), and the Zulus weren't really defeated. They withdrew when they realized they couldn't push through.

A smaller force can beat off the larger force if they're in a good defensive position. If they're the ones attacking and the the odds really are 8-1 it's completely unbelievable.

Enough cases of that in history to be honest;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mogadishu_%281993%29

Those Dumai Well numbers are ridiculous. They're trying to say that 1300 men beat off 40,000 Shaido? Yeah the good guys had 200 Asha'men, but if there were 200 Wise Ones they should mostly balance each other out. 40,000 Shaido would've overrun that army in minutes.

yes, they are saying that 1300 beat 40k (I find some of the numbers doubtful but I do not see any reason to disbelieve the most basic concepts in this conversation). On top of what el mandarb said, I will add this: There is a difference between wise ones at this point of the story and asha'man. Hell, the Aes Sedai that were surrounded by the Shaido force were as effective or more effective than the 200 wise ones. The wise ones commented before the fight that fighting with the power was new to them. So 30ish AS took on 200 wise ones and accounting for themselves pretty well. Next, 200 Asha'man show up and WTFpwn the Aiel. Why? because unlike wise ones, they had been taught how to use the OP to kill, they were even more effective than the AS because they had no restrictions and whereas AS only spend a portion of the time learning how to fight, that is all Asha'man learn to do. Expect the Asha'man to pretty much accomplish the same thing against any force with poorly trained one power users and most likely any force backed up by Aes Sedai, because they have nothing holding them back from absolutely curbstomping anyone. Once the ability of the enemy power users was stymied, the Asha'man had their way with the Aiel infantry, and at that point, as Rand has shown us 2-3 times now, there is no upward limit on the number of infantry that can be killed through use of the power so quantity of foot troops really becomes inconsequential.

I'm going to address this once more and then give up. There is no way in hell that a force that's outnumbered 8 to 1 can win in the manner described.

Here are some real life examples of battles fought with overwhelming strength by one side.

In the Zulu war, the initial battle was fought by a force of 4100 British and auxilary troops (1600 British, 2500 African troops). They faced a force 20,000 strong. That's only 5-1 odds. The British had much superior technology (equate that with the Asha'men if you will). The result? Complete and utter annihilation. Not a single survivor.

We all know about the Battle of Little Big Horn. Custer was outnumbered there at anywhere from a 3-1 to 7-1 odds (historians disagree on the exact number), and he was completely wiped out. Another example of a force with superior technology engaging a force with overwhelming numbers.

I could go on about this to endless length, but the numbers are quite frankly ridiculous. Since the RPG is not canon, it has not been verified accurate by Team Jordan, and I've already found major mistakes in it with regards to the defense of Edmond's Field, I think we can safely put aside the supposed numbers at Dumai Wells.

As much as we'd like to believe in technology, overwhelming numbers usually wins out against a small force with better technology. I could believe a 2-1 or 3-1 size difference, but not an 8-1 size difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blood_River

Really? A few farmers with their families were able to massacre the finest warriors of the Zulu nation in one of the most decisive battles in Africa.

As much as I've liked Perrin as a character, I've always failed to understand his role in the books as a general. It seems redundant. He's a good leader, but not anything near the general Mat is, so why do we have him with a larger force? Obviously events conspired to place them at his disposal, but it seems it would be more effective to give Mat the extra men.

Very few leaders are like Mat or the Five Great Captains. Perrin has led, and devised cunning strategies and won, which is all you could ask for from a commander. Like Perrin said, everyone is needed for Tarmon Gai'din and he is the right man to lead them.

Very few leaders are like Mat or the Five Great Captains. Perrin has led, and devised cunning strategies and won, which is all you could ask for from a commander. Like Perrin said, everyone is needed for Tarmon Gai'din and he is the right man to lead them.

Without Perrin, Rand wouldn't have Ghealdan or the Whitecloaks in the fold. Besides, someone had to handle the scouring of the Shire Two Rivers.

On the contrary, the Trolloc invasion will be by its nature offensive, and I could easily see Mat engaged in a series of defensive battles around the northern border in order to protect Andor or Carhien (similar to what Bryne has planned for Tar Valon) now that the Borderlands have been breached. With advanced crossbow technology (possibly bolstered by the huge number of crossbowmen in the Legion of the Dragon), rudimentary cannon technology, and probably a complement of channelers, an early version of trench warfare is almost a given. And somebody has to dig all those trenches.

Not only has the Shadow breached the Borderlands but they are also in the heart of the Westlands and are currently attacking Caemyln. We also have evidence that they have infiltrated the south as well.

I believe the majority of the armies gathered at FoM will be dispersed, countering all the offensives that have occurred throughout the lands. I expect Great Captains and well known characters spread all over randland putting out fires with AS and AM (ashaman only if they deal with the BT first, otherwise BT will just be another fight) support for their armies. Rand himself will only have a small force with him (comparatively), strikeforce sized with several key characters to defend him when he goes to SG. The book will be spread amongst the PoV's of several characters with an almost loss right before the victory.

Kandor or was it Arafel has fallen? You think the Trollocs next target would be the WT? The FoM is up near Shienar??? Isnt it?

I agree with the above comment, you think the 50,000 Shienarans would be on their way to help Lan, considering if they break

through Tarwin's Gap next stop is Fal Dara. Kandor & Arafel would be going to that Tower that Lan passed through???

Just with the Legion of the Dragon - there recruitment was tied to the BT so i dont think they have moved anywhere.

They've been recruiting for a year now, there numbers must be freakin huge.

Its been mentioned that Caemlyn streets are small and windy, I dont think Talmanes's calvary charge will do any good?

And as Elayne has severed half the Band they would number 15,000 max - if the Trolloc numbers are like the others? 100,000 maybe more???

If Mat returns via Gradys gateway would he see what Talmanes saw. I think he may get Grady to open a gate for the LotD and we shall see

how shields and crossbows go in a streetfight. Could be good :P

Without Perrin, Rand wouldn't have Ghealdan or the Whitecloaks in the fold. Besides, someone had to handle the scouring of the Shire Two Rivers.

I'm not saying his existence in the books is redundant, I'm saying his role as a military leader is redundant. It would make more sense to me personally if RJ had allowed Perrin some military involvement throughout the series (we're getting ready for the Last Battle, after all), but focus more on his people-skills, allowing his role as Steward of the Two Rivers to be justified more completely.

I'm not saying his existence in the books is redundant, I'm saying his role as a military leader is redundant. It would make more sense to me personally if RJ had allowed Perrin some military involvement throughout the series (we're getting ready for the Last Battle, after all), but focus more on his people-skills, allowing his role as Steward of the Two Rivers to be justified more completely.

I do not see perrin being the leader of a large battle but as the leader of a unit in the battle. which makes sense since he does not have the same skill set as the Great Captains.

I do not see perrin being the leader of a large battle but as the leader of a unit in the battle. which makes sense since he does not have the same skill set as the Great Captains.

To be frank, not that many people have the same skill set as the Five Great Captains. That's why they're the Great Captains. Mat and Rand are on their level due to their "borrowed" memories and that's pretty much it. However, Perrin's skill in battle shouldn't be underestimated. He's quite the leader. We've seen that repeatedly. I don't think he and Mat are going to be leading armies to counter the Shadow's thrusts. They will probably by needed to aid Rand for the Strike at Shayol Ghul 2.0.

To be frank, not that many people have the same skill set as the Five Great Captains. That's why they're the Great Captains. Mat and Rand are on their level due to their "borrowed" memories and that's pretty much it. However, Perrin's skill in battle shouldn't be underestimated. He's quite the leader. We've seen that repeatedly. I don't think he and Mat are going to be leading armies to counter the Shadow's thrusts. They will probably by needed to aid Rand for the Strike at Shayol Ghul 2.0.

Why would they be all coming with Rand? It seems to me that RJ gave the battle with the DO to Rand. Mat was given a military skill far greater then any of the Great Captains, so it makes sense for him to be leading the AoL.

As for Perrin he got the wolves and T'A'R, so something would probably happen there too.

The ta'veren connection makes the boys able to see eachother at longdistance, I dont know if this has been discussed before, but as far as I can recall, none of them have used the ability to do anything useful. RJ would not put something like that into the series just to dismiss it, so it seems to me that Mat, Perrin and Rand are not going to be at the same place when they go to SG.

Correct me if I'm wrong tho.

Why would they be all coming with Rand? It seems to me that RJ gave the battle with the DO to Rand. Mat was given a military skill far greater then any of the Great Captains, so it makes sense for him to be leading the AoL.

As for Perrin he got the wolves and T'A'R, so something would probably happen there too.

That is true but the Light has many skilled generals to put out the fires caused by the Shadow. I believe that's one of the reasons Rand decided to meet at Merrilor.

The ta'veren connection makes the boys able to see eachother at longdistance, I dont know if this has been discussed before, but as far as I can recall, none of them have used the ability to do anything useful. RJ would not put something like that into the series just to dismiss it, so it seems to me that Mat, Perrin and Rand are not going to be at the same place when they go to SG.
The visions they get of each other is the Pattern telling them they need to be with each other and attempting to force them to do that. That's why they vanish when they are near one another. Also, remember Min's vision of the Light having a better chance when the three are together.

Could someone offer the best guess on Seanchan population and military sizes? They seem to be almost infinite at times (Ituralde alone faced at least 450k in two battles in Arad Doman). And that seems to be only a fractions of what they can field. This would imply many millions of people in population and that only on this side of the ocean. How can they possibly have such numbers?

two things to keep in mind about the Seanchan: their lands are far larger than the Westlands, and are all nominally under the Seanchan crown, so this isn't like any country in Rand's part of the world - it would be akin to doubling the size of the Westlands (or more) and its population and giving it all to one country. The Westlands are fractured into many different lands, some in pseudo peace and some at war. Second, Seanchan forces often employ soldiers sworn to them from the host countries, so a fair number of people that Ituralde fought when he was fighting his war against the Seanchan were Taraboners and probably Amadician as well. So its not only Seanchan forces you have to deal with.

Those Dumai Well numbers are ridiculous. They're trying to say that 1300 men beat off 40,000 Shaido? Yeah the good guys had 200 Asha'men, but if there were 200 Wise Ones they should mostly balance each other out. 40,000 Shaido would've overrun that army in minutes.

Well, the Asha'man were much better at fighting than the Wise Ones. They

1) Put a shield over Rand's forces, denying the most common attack by the Wise Ones (lightning bolts). The Wise Ones became practically useless after that, going by the battle's description. Stupid of the Wise Ones not to try any other form of attack or to try to go the front of battle? Yes, but that's what happened.

2) Started killing Aiel with the One Power, making their heads explode. The way the battle is described, it plays out like infantry charging en masse against machine guns. Just like World War One. Or the battle of Abu Klea in the Mahdi War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Abu_Klea). In Abu Klea a 1,100 British force defeated a 12,000 Mahdist army using machine guns (more than 10-1 odds). One of the machine guns they used jammed. Imagine the casualties they could've inflicted if it hadn't jammed.

Basically Dumai's Wells is a technologically inferior infantry charging a set of hundreds of machine guns (the Asha'man) in a defensive position. I believe it could have happened like the way it's described in the books. Infantry charges in WWI had a 3-1 casualty ratio or more, and we're talking about two forces with basically the same technology. Some battles of the imperalistic times of the 18th and 19th century have Dumai's Wells odds and ended up with European victory (besides the Mahdi War, we have the Second Opium War and some battles of the British in India).

1) Put a shield over Rand's forces, denying the most common attack by the Wise Ones (lightning bolts). The Wise Ones became practically useless after that, going by the battle's description. Stupid of the Wise Ones not to try any other form of attack or to try to go the front of battle? Yes, but that's what happened.

The Wise Ones (on both sides) were not used to fighting in actual warfare which is the reason for their limited arsenal.

two things to keep in mind about the Seanchan: their lands are far larger than the Westlands, and are all nominally under the Seanchan crown, so this isn't like any country in Rand's part of the world - it would be akin to doubling the size of the Westlands (or more) and its population and giving it all to one country. The Westlands are fractured into many different lands, some in pseudo peace and some at war. Second, Seanchan forces often employ soldiers sworn to them from the host countries, so a fair number of people that Ituralde fought when he was fighting his war against the Seanchan were Taraboners and probably Amadician as well. So its not only Seanchan forces you have to deal with.

yes, that's all true (althought I'm not clear on the size of the Seanchan continent with relation to Randlands) but the numbers seem to me to be too big anyway. keep in mind that the Seanchan have only arrived en mass a short time ago (a year ago, perhaps?) Could they really have brought millions of people with them in such a short time? seems very unrealistic to me given the time span, the distance and the available technology. also, because of the assassination of the old empress and the rebellion and civil war back home they no longer can draw on the Seanchan population and forces back on the Seanchan continent. So how many people do they actually have on this side of the ocean and how big is their army? anyone has an estimate?

While we're on horribly one-sided battles where the smaller army held out: Thermopylae.

1300 Greeks (300 Spartans, hence the name of the movie)

Millions (?) of Persians

Greeks hold out three days until Persians find a second route through the mountains and get behind them

Greeks use time to raise army and drive Persians back out

That is all.

Look up the Battle of Sabine Pass of the American Civil War sometime. 40 something men not only held against a superior force, but took mass amounts of prisoners and destroyed multiple gunboats. This was an engagement on the Sabine river in Texas, where the Union looked to drive past a fortified point with gunboats and infantry.

Victories against superior forces are not, certainly, the order of the day, but they do happen. Further, an Asha'man is worth quite a lot more than a machine gun. It's more pitting hundreds of precisely placed high explosives against infantry and ancient cavalry than any of the other examples you gave, so say 1700s style army with muskets against a modern armored cavalry regiment complete with artillery and MLRS, not to mention a squadron of F-15Es or the like. Wise Ones may know how to make destructive weaves, but they did not know how to do combat with the weaves; in contrast, that is all that the Asha'man practice. It's all the difference in the world, like the difference between a blademaster and a guy who practices forms a couple of times a week for exercise. You aren't useless with it, but anyone who really knows how to wield a sword in combat will undress you in no time at all.

TL;DR version: Pretty much nothing I've seen is so wildly out of whack with what I know from my study of history and from my personal knowledge of Randland that I have any problems granting it for the sake of a good story.

first order of business. MAT. mat is a great captain. the band is an ELITE force. the band has to be kept relatively small compared with other armies. think 101 airborne in modern times. they are highly trained, fast response shock troops. the seanchen equivalent are the to-raken troops. a large army is slow with a lot of poorly trained levies. Mat wins because he is where the enemy doesn't think he could possibly be. in the last battle the band will probably be used to "plug holes" in the battle lines till slower troops can arrive.

second, Perrin. he has such a large army because he is a standard battle leader. while a decent leader he's nothing special. his greatest ability is as a symbol of the dragon. most people know he is a personal friend. while Rand is battling one of the forsaken or the dark one. and is out of sight. Perrin serves as a visual aid and morale booster for the armies.

third, the seanchens. they will probably be a core element in the last battle. i think they will be drawn in before the last battle. the training of the troops would be invaluable in the battle.

last the channelers. the effective ones are going to be the damane, the green ajah, and the asha'man. the others will be a help to a lesser extent. the reds will be good countering forsaken or dreadlords.

Rand will be busy fighting "duals" to make much of a difference. the forsaken and the dark one fall to him.

the other armies will mostly be commanded by one captain or another. probably one of the 5 great captains. probably not mat but the other 4 since mat and the band will be trouble shooters.

just my ideas. this set up would allow a vastly inferior force to defeat a greater force. though the linchpin of the whole thing is the rand/darkone dual.

the other armies will mostly be commanded by one captain or another. probably one of the 5 great captains. probably not mat but the other 4 since mat and the band will be trouble shooters.

Nothing against the 4 great captains left but Matt is of a level above them...far above them.

Matt has the battle experience of a 1000 life times.

Never is this more evident then when the Legion of the Dragon is formed and Matt all but lays out their structure and battle strats by himself with Bashere barely having a chance to contribute much leaving Bashere almost stunned after and most definitely impressed.

exactly. he's the best so using him as a "trouble shooter" at thin spots in the line makes sense. the best man leading his personal forces where the danger of a break through is the greatest. he's more able to make snap decisions that will turn the tide of battle fastest.

yes, that's all true (althought I'm not clear on the size of the Seanchan continent with relation to Randlands) but the numbers seem to me to be too big anyway. keep in mind that the Seanchan have only arrived en mass a short time ago (a year ago, perhaps?) Could they really have brought millions of people with them in such a short time? seems very unrealistic to me given the time span, the distance and the available technology. also, because of the assassination of the old empress and the rebellion and civil war back home they no longer can draw on the Seanchan population and forces back on the Seanchan continent. So how many people do they actually have on this side of the ocean and how big is their army? anyone has an estimate?

You mustn't forget about the Hailene and Corene which each brought hundreds of thousands of soldiers, craftsmen, settlers etc to the Westlands. Also, the Seanchan actively recruit from the nations they have conquered.

The Seanchan most likely have close to 600,000 soldiers under the command, not including damane. The Thirteenth Depository did a recap of the military forces as of TGS. You can find it here.

You mustn't forget about the Hailene and Corene which each brought hundreds of thousands of soldiers, craftsmen, settlers etc to the Westlands. Also, the Seanchan actively recruit from the nations they have conquered.

The Seanchan most likely have close to 600,000 soldiers under the command, not including damane. The Thirteenth Depository did a recap of the military forces as of TGS. You can find it here.

Thanks for the link. It's quite interesting. not sure about that 600k total though. Based on Turan told Ituralde it would seem to me that they should have more than that.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link. It's quite interesting. not sure about that 600k total though. Based on Turan told Ituralde it would seem to me that they should have more than that.

That link has since been updated to include ToM:

http://13depository.blogspot.com/2002/03/military-forces-of-westlands.html

Archived