DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What was the 'BLANK in the Blight'

Luckers

I think "hold" instead of city would have more effect on a reader. If Wilson was blindsided by the revelation I'd say that's what it was. Also, the Aiel might be channelers but why would they all be? If this place existed for a long time there would be quite a few people who can't channel.

Still, it's a good possibility that the ones we see in the books can and that those are the dreadlords from Perrin's battle as well as Ituralde's. Maybe that's even where the dreadlords came from in the Trolloc Wars? That the one that killed Barriga used a knife isn't sufficient proof otherwise. He might have had strict orders to only channel when told to, he might even have taken pleasure in using his hands. Or his channeling ability matches Morgase's and he simply has a talent for using portal stones or whatever siege weave was used on Maradon's wall.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the time to be secretive with abilty to channel is over, the war is on. A hold or city makes sense. I doubt it would be an entire place of just channelers. If it was a hold I am sure they would have the same % of channelers as a normal hold would.

Watch, it'll be a Stedding...crazy? just crazy enough?

There are several abandoned stedding lost to the blight. I don't remember exactly when, but I believe Loial mentions them when discussing waygates--as in several stedding in the blight never having waygates grown to them.

-- dwn

I think it is important to note that apparently, they were talking about the _______, whatever it is, in a more general way before RJ mentioned there was one in the Blight. IMO, something like the Aiel would fit that, but not a city. And it's hard to see RJ and Wilson having a conversation about 'angreal.

Not saying I think it's the Aiel, but just that I think it fits better. Portal Stone definitely doesn't fit; no one would be surprised about a Portal Stone in the Blight. It's not that shocking. Also, whoever said the same about a city...I think a city in the Blight is pretty shocking. I just don't think it fits the story.

Watch, it'll be a Stedding...crazy? just crazy enough?

There are several abandoned stedding lost to the blight. I don't remember exactly when, but I believe Loial mentions them when discussing waygates--as in several stedding in the blight never having waygates grown to them.

-- dwn

While there could be more, I only know of three being mentioned: one in tSR, Chapter 43, and two, Sherandu and Chandar, in LoC, Chapter 20. There was also one that was just very close to the Blight, but not in it. The one in tSR wasn't named, so it could be one of the other two named ones. Probably is, because the names came from Elder Haman when he was making his comprehensive list of stedding for Rand. All of those mentioned had waygates though. Any others that exist in the Blight were never reclaimed after the Breaking.

This theory may be way out there and it's just something that popped into my head. But if the Dragon is supposed to be some sort of representative for the Creator in the world of man then would there maybe be an "AntiDragon" or some kind of counterpart to Rand? Its clear he outstrips any of the Forsaken as he's defeated them multiple times as LTT. I know it's kind of a wild theory but like I said it just kinda popped into my head.

This theory may be way out there and it's just something that popped into my head. But if the Dragon is supposed to be some sort of representative for the Creator in the world of man then would there maybe be an "AntiDragon" or some kind of counterpart to Rand? Its clear he outstrips any of the Forsaken as he's defeated them multiple times as LTT. I know it's kind of a wild theory but like I said it just kinda popped into my head.

I'm pretty sure Moridin/Ishamael fits the bill for this. Even though Rand did defeat him as Ishamael, I'm sure he mentioned being reborn in past Ages to fight the Creator's champion. If we assume he's not just making it all up, then that would make him something like the Dark One's champion, to counter the Creator's. That's if I'm remembering Ishamael's conversation correctly...

I'm pretty sure Moridin/Ishamael fits the bill for this. Even though Rand did defeat him as Ishamael, I'm sure he mentioned being reborn in past Ages to fight the Creator's champion. If we assume he's not just making it all up, then that would make him something like the Dark One's champion, to counter the Creator's. That's if I'm remembering Ishamael's conversation correctly...

I believe you're referring to when Rand is drawn to Moridin in TER ostensibly by their link. If I remember correctly I think he says (paraphrasing) that he turned to the Shadow because it seemed logical to him that since the DO had eternity to keep trying age after age he would eventually win and there was no point in resisting because oblivion was preferable to tortured existence. I don't think he says anything about being reborn to fight the Dragon in previous ages. And if that were the case he would have been spun out again in the Third age but he is essentially the same person he was in the AoL assuming DO resurrection doesn't constitute "Rebirth".

Ill throw out a few random suggestions:

There is a space ship in the blight.

There is a home depot in the blight.

There is a well in the blight? That maybe is the source of the TP (true power not toilet paper though that may be the key to defeating the shadow)

Maybe it is something like a green man?

Of course all of my ideas are nuts but I feel it is something bigger than a city. In meaning not actual size. Two cents given.

Foot

I think the red-veiled people are the "hint" about the BLANK. The Blight is HUGE and covers so much ground there are bound to be things up there we're not aware of. What if the Blight's spoilage was all a way for the DO to protect his area up there and after a hundred miles or so of the spoilage it's a cold, but hospitable, landscape?

So, to me, a city in the Blight makes sense. Kind of like the Harad in The War of the Ring who were seduced by power, there is just a whole culture of people up there who can't wait to descend upon the South.

My Insane And Loony Theory is that the Creator is in the Blight and that is why it is so.. odd. and he is dying which is why the Blight turned bad. And the DO's taint is killing him. Oh yeah this will happen. And it would be shocking. And THAT is the voice that spoke to rand IN THE BLIGHT in EoTW. SO yes. I am correct. Nothing you can say will change my mind :biggrin:

Yay 1000 posts!!!

I must concur with most of my peers. It must be a city or civilization of some sort; possibly a hold, as some have mentioned. Little else makes sense, given the context, but it must be sizable indeed to make an impact now.

Although, if it is some sort of large colonized area, I find it hard to believe that in 3000 years no one in the south has caught wind of it. They know little of Shara, but they do KNOW of it.

Mordin's castle they said was in the north of the blight, if thats where the city/hold is no one is capable of getting that far north. Anyone who tried would get slaughtered from, trollocs, worms or some other nasty in the blight. It could be there for 5000 years and no one would discover it. We saw how hard it was in the first book for the group to get as far as they did. and they didn't even go that far into the blight.

I believe you're referring to when Rand is drawn to Moridin in TER ostensibly by their link. If I remember correctly I think he says (paraphrasing) that he turned to the Shadow because it seemed logical to him that since the DO had eternity to keep trying age after age he would eventually win and there was no point in resisting because oblivion was preferable to tortured existence. I don't think he says anything about being reborn to fight the Dragon in previous ages. And if that were the case he would have been spun out again in the Third age but he is essentially the same person he was in the AoL assuming DO resurrection doesn't constitute "Rebirth".

Nope, wasn't referring to that. I thought it was something he'd said as Ishamael/Ba'alzamon in the earlier books. Just haven't bothered to go check where. I do think it was also in Tel'aran'rhiod though. Then again, as Ishamael, he was supposed to be only half sane anyway... I suppose the fact that he was never really killed is why he wasn't "reborn" in the same sense that Rand was, and rather the Dark One resurrected him. But yeah, not too sure about this anymore.

Call me crazy, but I think that what is in the blight is a pod of whatever the worms turn into upon maturity.

jumara = the grown up worms

Actually, jumara is what worms were called in the Age of Legends.

Yes, but they're also stuck in the current stage of their life-cycle, for some unspecified reason.

Nope, wasn't referring to that. I thought it was something he'd said as Ishamael/Ba'alzamon in the earlier books. Just haven't bothered to go check where. I do think it was also in Tel'aran'rhiod though. Then again, as Ishamael, he was supposed to be only half sane anyway... I suppose the fact that he was never really killed is why he wasn't "reborn" in the same sense that Rand was, and rather the Dark One resurrected him. But yeah, not too sure about this anymore.

*squints at super-bright computer screen and moans*

Hmmm.... I'll have to dig up my older volumes and go through some of them. Anyway.... Call me crazy but I'm gonna stick to my Antichrist Dragon theory just because nobody else has guessed it and I like to be original.

Now somebody turn off the sun.

Ishamael says several times, starting right there in the prologue to EoTW that he and Lews Therin have fought for countless turnings of the wheel. So if there's an anti-dragon, he's it.

As for the _________ in the Blight. I'm going to go with a City/Civilization or Hold like most people are saying. It makes the most sense and would be the most shocking. I think the red-veiled Aiel, and Perrin's village from the Blight were both big hints in this direction.

Ishamael was widely known to be mad and it's almost certain that he thought he was the DO. This is most likely what he was talking about now that I think about it. When he said they had fought for "countless turnings of the Wheel" he meant LTT and Shai'tan. With the more direct reference I remembered that. Thanks! :biggrin:

Archived